MidWestScrub

[Blog] The Jumpmaster 5000 Bounty.

This will be interesting; Nom Lumb (with Dengar and maybe a cannon) is a cheap platform which can fit in many lists without compromising things. This goes double in Hyperspace. Now, I believe that one list containing a JumpMaster made it to the top 16 at the UK SoS (it beat me in the first game of the cut, and I believe the player beat his second round opponent as well), so flown well in a good list it can certainly contend.

1 hour ago, AceDogbert said:

This goes double in Hyperspace. Now, I believe that one list containing a JumpMaster made it to the top 16 at the UK SoS (it beat me in the first game of the cut, and I believe the player beat his second round opponent as well), so flown well in a good list it can certainly contend.

Darren Grainger went 6-0 during Swiss there, too, with 4 Jumpmasters, and Marcelo Soto went 5-0 in the Worlds Qualifier with Nom Lumb is his list, as well. 

1 hour ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

I can easily see a good player succeeding in the bounty before June.

I honestly believe it is in the realm of possibility which is why I'm putting my money where my mouth is and issuing this challenge. Maybe someone will do it and suck $70ish from my wallet.

7 hours ago, Roller of blanks said:

Hot take: this is a conspiracy to get everyone to bring a bad ship to big tournaments so matt can swoop in and take the W for himself

Hahaha! I will shortly be issuing the TIE Aggressor Challenge, The Oddball Challenge, and the Rebel TIE challenge... for no reason in particular. No ulterior at all. None whatsoever. 

Just now, Hiemfire said:

Good luck to any new players in finding one if they don't plan on borrowing...

You ain't kidding. FFG was has been reprinting a bunch of stuff everyone has a lot of, but they could make a mint on things like the TIE Phantom, the Starwing, the TIE Aggressor, the TIE Punisher, and maybe the Quadjumper (many got sucked up at the start of 2nd) and YT2400 (if it ever becomes relevant). I know 2nd Decimator got ate up around me because they were hard to pickup at the end of 1st. Starwings alone sell for $60 to $100 on ebay. Print those FFG!

11 hours ago, AceDogbert said:

Nom Lumb (with Dengar and maybe a cannon)

Switch it around: put a cannon on first, and maybe dengar. The cannon is to make him relevant when he's not being shot at

6 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Good luck to any new players in finding one if they don't plan on borrowing...

I've got 4 that I will never use-needed a list for a 1e hangar bay tournament since i only had rebels at the time, and 4x TLT/Lightweight Aggressors was a non-sucky list that you only needed to buy those packs to field.

Posted (edited)

Are tie aggressors now possible? 

I guess they’re chunky. 

Theyre paying a 1 pt tax for the turret slot. Otherwise these have similar stats to the torrent. I don’t really know if that one shield is worth anything.  I still don’t like the torrent. 

Edited by Blail Blerg

1 hour ago, Pa Weasley said:

O'rly?!?  Would you accept a store championship?  I'm toying with taking an Oddball list because ... reasons. 

To be clear, I was joking about that since @Roller of blanks teasingly accused me of shenanigans and/or hijinks. Also, I left out Store champs as they can get absurdly small, and the chances of winning increase drastically. I even left Primes out as I don't know what kind of size crowd they will draw. 

4 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Are tie aggressors now possible? I guess they’re chunky. 

Theyre paying a 1 pt tax for the turret slot. Otherwise these have similar stats to the torrent. I don’t really know if that one shield is worth anything.  I still don’t like the torrent. 

They might be actually worth checking out. At the very least, they aren't hard to shoehorn into a list much like Torrents. Also, they have a great dial compared to the Torrent and the shield isn't super awesome, but is better than a hull. Maybe if this JM5K bounty goes well, I'll issue a bounty on TIE Aggressors in earnest.

25 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

To be clear, I was joking about that since @Roller of blanks teasingly accused me of shenanigans and/or hijinks. Also, I left out Store champs as they can get absurdly small, and the chances of winning increase drastically. I even left Primes out as I don't know what kind of size crowd they will draw. 

Oh I know.  I just had to laugh since I was going to attempt to win something quasi-competative with Oddball and then you tossed that post out there. 

14 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

They might be actually worth checking out. At the very least, they aren't hard to shoehorn into a list much like Torrents. Also, they have a great dial compared to the Torrent and the shield isn't super awesome, but is better than a hull. Maybe if this JM5K bounty goes well, I'll issue a bounty on TIE Aggressors in earnest.

I tried. I came up with a Soontir + 4 AggsICT list, but MEH. 

7 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

We should make a meta-bet on how long it takes to get a jump into a finals. 

4 Jumps made it to the top 32 cut of the UK System Open out of 400 plus, and a Nom Lumb went 5-0 at the worlds qualifier there, too. It's definitely in the realm of possiblilty.

7 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

If an TIE Aggressor makes it may need to be in a non-spam style.

Posted (edited)

Like slipping Kestal in with a couple powerhouses and hoping no one notices her.

Seriously though, if 2 Torrents/Bombers/Scyks etc serves as decent filler for a couple aces, 2 cheap generic Aggressors may be able to offer something.... 

I struggle to see it happening any other way.

Edited by Cuz05

8 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

I keep having double ace, double aggressor in my head.  Afterburners no-sensor Vader plus Predator Soontir with two ICT Aggressors gives a healthy 10 point bid.  Burners/Passive Vader allows 62 points of other ship, if you're willing to go without bid.

16 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I keep having double ace, double aggressor in my head.  Afterburners no-sensor Vader plus Predator Soontir with two ICT Aggressors gives a healthy 10 point bid.  Burners/Passive Vader allows 62 points of other ship, if you're willing to go without bid.

This makes sense to me too, as it's a similar archetype to the Republic 2 Jedi + 2 Gold Squad list.

On 3/5/2020 at 5:44 AM, theBitterFig said:

Yeah but that’s getting close to strictly worse than other builds. 

So why would you do it. 

Also I’d rather see apparent need for the aggressor. Not just to slot them into an already good shell  to be carried by the better pieces. 

23 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Yeah but that’s getting close to strictly worse than other builds. 

So why would you do it.

Because, while an aggressor list almost surely isn't the best way to play Imperial aces, there's a chance might be the best way to play an aggressor.

More broadly, I find Ion weapon filler really tempting.  It adds some control to a filler piece (good!) and gives them a rather more consistent attack than a 2-red ship (also good!).  It'll have reasonably high time-on-target.  Even if it isn't the best ship in X-Wing, I think there's benefit to trying to demonstrate that it isn't as bad as folks might think.