robertpolson

Can I play in OP with shorter bases?

I am getting a few Legion miniatures for Star Wars Imperial Assault. However, I am using shorter 25mm bases that match IA figures height. Does this mean that if one day I will bring my Legion miniatures to an organized play event, I will be disqualified? 

Given the rules it would give you an unfair advantage. You should be able to use third party (e.g. clear acrylic) bases as long at they are the same dimensions.

Unless I am mistaken, base size for IA doesn't matter, so why not just put them on the Legion bases? If you're worried about aesthetics, Legion minis are a larger scale than IA minis anyway, so having them together will already look a bit off. Or you could magnetize/pin the models to the bases so you can swap them as needed. 

Yall being mean to OP.  I'm with him.  It reminds me of when I was going to enter a Scooter Race and I brought my 150CC and they were like "50CC" only.  It was the same company and both were scooters so it just seemed a **** thing to do forcing me to buy some 50CC scooter.

0/10

15 minutes ago, TheGoldfinch said:

It is a bit of a jerk move to not offer a pack of generic, non-premium bases though

At least they have something. In X-wing I am waiting still for some colored bases for medium base ships. Been about a year and a half since 2nd editions release and still nothing.

When IA was.released I believe the agreement with Games Workshop for Warhammer RPG and board games forbade them from releasing anything on the GW scale. So when legion and runewars were released they could only do so after the agreement finished. So IA and Legion are on different scales.

Yeah it is weird. Star War stormtroopers that are not quiiiiiiite the same scale feels like a pretty cheap move, considering. I don't mind them trying to make money but they should do it in a way that actually adds value, instead of nickel and diming their pre-existing customers.

Being as that neither IA nor Legion is really GW scale (if GW can even be said to have a scale other than "constantly sliding upward") I don't think it's due to an agreement between them. If anything I think it might be something Disney required.

Within reason, a slightly off base-size would not give you any significant advantage that wasn't outweighed by a similar disadvantage. However, if rules were not rather unreasonably strict in this regard, certain people would immediately set about creating ridiculous bases that did create an unfair advantage.

19 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Yeah it is weird. Star War stormtroopers that are not quiiiiiiite the same scale feels like a pretty cheap move, considering. I don't mind them trying to make money but they should do it in a way that actually adds value, instead of nickel and diming their pre-existing customers.

Being as that neither IA nor Legion is really GW scale (if GW can even be said to have a scale other than "constantly sliding upward") I don't think it's due to an agreement between them. If anything I think it might be something Disney required.

Within reason, a slightly off base-size would not give you any significant advantage that wasn't outweighed by a similar disadvantage. However, if rules were not rather unreasonably strict in this regard, certain people would immediately set about creating ridiculous bases that did create an unfair advantage.

I think there's a lot of things going on here.  I understand the core desire of wanting to play with the minis you've got, but at the same time, we're talking about a very small number of Stormtrooper models, all in the exact same pose, cast with their base molded to the model.  There's no way that was going to make for a hobby minis game.  Legion certainly doesn't have the best detail models on the market, but they're still a step up from IA, even if only in terms of pose variety.  Part of that is growing as a model designer away from the restrictions of single piece molded base production towards multipart sculpts.

I had my moment of wanting my IA to work in Legion, but once I had my Legion stuff together I realized I didn't really have anything from IA that would really work for Legion.  Sure, I could scramble together a squad of Stormtroopers with Somos and the heavy trooper (who has a T-21 fwiw) but like.... there's really not much there to work with.  I guess its possible that Legion could have bent backwards to reuse IA stuff, but again; the model count just isn't there in IA to make squads worth playing with.  It's just not worth constraining Legion to the limitations of IA.  I think there's a little more of an argument with the characters, but Legion has been remarkably restrained on that front so the draw is fairly minimal.

1 hour ago, LunarSol said:

I understand the core desire of wanting to play with the minis you've got, but at the same time, we're talking about a very small number of Stormtrooper models, all in the exact same pose, cast with their base molded to the model.  There's no way that was going to make for a hobby minis game....  ...the model count just isn't there in IA to make squads worth playing with. 

This is very true! It is impossible to play a SW hobby wargame using single poses with their feet molded to bases.

OdWqURJ.jpg

8 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

You're deliberately misinterpreting his point.

No siree! Only a crazy person would try to play this sort of game with just one pose per trooper! And feet molded to a base no less! Bananas.

Posted (edited)

@LunarSol Thought it would be clear I wasn't serious. Sorry. Didn't mean it to sound mean, just pointing out that used to be the norm. And still is in some circles.

I got more old school metal tauntauns in the mail today though! Bootleg sculpts, so I won't share any links. Squad leader, and objective marker. Though I guess I could use the casualty as a normal trooper.

ci0hYeh.jpg

Back to the original question.

@robertpolson Honestly when I first started I think I only bought and painted the core set and like one squad of snowtroopers. We wanted to play 800 point games right away, so we used my IA figures in their own squads, cause those were already painted, and, used D20 Hasbro pre-painted AT-ST/Snowspeeder to get the rest of the points. The games played ok but this was a short stopgap measure, for one weekend only. I wouldn't want to keep using them. Here's a pic of one of those early games. Spot the IA figures! The figures are jarringly different sizes if they get close to each other.

fjrouHU.jpg

Edited by TauntaunScout

On 3/3/2020 at 2:11 PM, TauntaunScout said:

@LunarSol Thought it would be clear I wasn't serious. Sorry. Didn't mean it to sound mean, just pointing out that used to be the norm. And still is in some circles.

I got more old school metal tauntauns in the mail today though! Bootleg sculpts, so I won't share any links. Squad leader, and objective marker. Though I guess I could use the casualty as a normal trooper.

ci0hYeh.jpg

Back to the original question.

@robertpolson Honestly when I first started I think I only bought and painted the core set and like one squad of snowtroopers. We wanted to play 800 point games right away, so we used my IA figures in their own squads, cause those were already painted, and, used D20 Hasbro pre-painted AT-ST/Snowspeeder to get the rest of the points. The games played ok but this was a short stopgap measure, for one weekend only. I wouldn't want to keep using them. Here's a pic of one of those early games. Spot the IA figures! The figures are jarringly different sizes if they get close to each other.

fjrouHU.jpg

that look a little brown to be snow I think Hoth has warmed  a bit. 

;)