Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kehl_Aecea

The High Republic

Recommended Posts

Alright, so this is the new era of focus we'll be getting and seems like the powers that be already have a ton of ground work laid out.

Think we'll see the High Republic and opposing forces in X-Wing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, astronautcowboy said:

Perhaps in the Republic. I don’t know if we’ll see them expand the number of factions. 7 already seems like a lot.

The enemy faction seems like it might be a good fit for Scum.

id agree with this, you could argue that jedi from 200 years before the clone wars should not be flying with clone soldiers but, meh.

i think it will depend on how popular the books and comics become though, if it does well enough that the high republic gets a tv show or movies then we'll see them in x-wing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There are enough uncovered ships now for the next 5 years of X-Wing (not counting the new content coming from Mandalorian, Clone Wars and other new shows), so I see no reason for adding 1 or 2 new factions any time soon.

EDIT: besides, we have yet absolutely no sentimental attachment to whatever new ships will come from this new era until there is at least a film or TV series. I doubt it would sell well.

Edited by Odanan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

Alright, so this is the new era of focus we'll be getting and seems like the powers that be already have a ton of ground work laid out.

Think we'll see the High Republic and opposing forces in X-Wing?

I think it very likely as a marketing tool for the new content. This "High Republic" era is a really safe choice. I think they went "backward" and still far enough away from "Old Republic" that they can create a bunch of actually new stuff without needing too much to keep to some form of stuff we've seen. And they don't have to worry too much about stepping on the toes of their latest cinematic travesties. I think the big thing becomes what sort of enemies they'll be coming up with for the Jedi. 

I suspect as a licensor for Star Wars stuff you'll find yourself facing some sort of obligation to produce content related to this High Republic era. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frimmel said:

I think it very likely as a marketing tool for the new content. This "High Republic" era is a really safe choice. I think they went "backward" and still far enough away from "Old Republic" that they can create a bunch of actually new stuff without needing too much to keep to some form of stuff we've seen. And they don't have to worry too much about stepping on the toes of their latest cinematic travesties. I think the big thing becomes what sort of enemies they'll be coming up with for the Jedi. 

I suspect as a licensor for Star Wars stuff you'll find yourself facing some sort of obligation to produce content related to this High Republic era. 

Agreed. I think the Mouse will push all their licensees that they have to do something for the market synergy.

 

1 hour ago, Odanan said:

There are enough uncovered ships now for the next 5 years of X-Wing (not counting the new content coming from Mandalorian, Clone Wars and other new shows), so I see no reason for adding 1 or 2 new factions any time soon.

EDIT: besides, we have yet absolutely no sentimental attachment to whatever new ships will come from this new era until there is at least a film or TV series. I doubt it would sell well.

But how much overlap in the game do they have? How is a yt2000 going to set itself apart from the 1300, 2400, or VCX?

It’s not enough just to be canon; it has to have a unique role in a faction set.

It is easier to reinvent the same types of roles across new factions than to find niches that allow all ships to still be played in larger faction.

Lastly, they may have to because the Mouse says they have to. Just like how CW stuff got delayed in Legion because the Mouse told them they had to do another Luke and Vader first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tott said:

you could argue that jedi from 200 years before the clone wars should not be flying with clone soldiers but, meh.

With Ani fighting Vader fighting Kylo Ren I think the temporal horse has left the barn.

3 hours ago, Odanan said:

There are enough uncovered ships now for the next 5 years of X-Wing (not counting the new content coming from Mandalorian, Clone Wars and other new shows), so I see no reason for adding 1 or 2 new factions any time soon.

Actually, adding FACTIONS  is going to be way easier for game balance than adding ships.  New factions, IHMO, are always the smart way to go.  Also, you can redesign the same ship roles and not worry about intra-faction overlap.

2 hours ago, Frimmel said:

I suspect as a licensor for Star Wars stuff you'll find yourself facing some sort of obligation to produce content related to this High Republic era. 

And as an end-market producer as well.  You are going to want to design and sell what is hot/current.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, I'm irked. Not going forward, but going backward. Nice, Disney.

6 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Actually, adding FACTIONS  is going to be way easier for game balance than adding ships.  New factions, IHMO, are always the smart way to go.  Also, you can redesign the same ship roles and not worry about intra-faction overlap.

You're biased. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KCDodger said:

Yeah, no rules, no chances to take. No risk. Just the way Star Wars fans seem to like it.

I hate the direction it's going.

 

How would this be any different going further into the future post the sequel trilogy?

The problems with Disney storytelling isn’t the setting. It’s some of their other choices along the way that’s generally poor writing overall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

How would this be any different going further into the future post the sequel trilogy?

The problems with Disney storytelling isn’t the setting. It’s some of their other choices along the way that’s generally poor writing overall

At this point I can't even contest that.

Personally I just don't care about Jedi. I want to see a galaxy that isn't dominated by them OR the Sith.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

How would this be any different going further into the future post the sequel trilogy?

The problems with Disney storytelling isn’t the setting. It’s some of their other choices along the way that’s generally poor writing overall

The issue to me stems from at the outset of the Disney Trilogy they didn't decide what the rules for the Star Wars universe were going to be.

They didn't decide a framework for how The Force works, how the tech works, how the economies work, why there is a need for smugglers, what The Jedi actually did, and all sorts of other things that create and tie the Star Wars galaxy together. They were total chickens and re-set to 1977 because folks hated the prequels and felt the EU was better put out of its misery. They did this with a director who thinks the sorts of frameworks I'm talking about are just a rug to be pulled out from under the audience when convenient. 

And they wanted all the money. That means making movies for non-fans who have no use or bother or understanding of the frameworks either. So the chief thing done by the sequel trilogy is to essentially obliterate ANY rules for Star Wars because Space Wizards and Laser Swords don't exist so there aren't any rules and frameworks and they didn't know how to write movies with any frameworks. 

So this High Republic setting to me comes as a dodge and non-apology apology and worst of all trying to have their cake and eat it too. They've blown their chance to tell these sorts of stories with Luke as the head of the Jedi Order making cameos or recurring as a wise mentor to the main Jedi of the setting. They've blown their chance to have Leia show up in a similar role for the diplomacy and politics. They couldn't bother with what they seem to be doing with The High Republic at the outset because that were likely scared that was too much prequel and too much EU. But they've obliterated the frameworks for telling these sorts of stories in a post sequel trilogy era. 

So they've taken the sort of Wild West setting of Mandalorian and put the sort of Jedi Order they didn't give us in the sequel trilogy in. While removing themselves enough from all on screen before that they can still use the instinctual sense of the story rules as a rug to pull out from under us and a shortcut and prop to not explain their situations properly and pull whatever rabbit out of whatever hat. 

The stench of story-telling by focus group is already ripe on this "new" era. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...