Yodhrin

TX-130 Size/Scale?

I'd very much appreciate if somebody who managed to get one could measure the length of the Saber tank, in mm. Based on the base(aha) and some unboxing videos it looks to be in the right ballpark scale-wise, but after the landspeeder I want to be certain before I put money down on any Legion vehicles.

13 minutes ago, Yodhrin said:

I'd very much appreciate if somebody who managed to get one could measure the length of the Saber tank, in mm. Based on the base(aha) and some unboxing videos it looks to be in the right ballpark scale-wise, but after the landspeeder I want to be certain before I put money down on any Legion vehicles.

It’s big, scale looks appropriate. 

1 hour ago, Yodhrin said:

Landspeeder  looks right, what are you talking about?

3 hours ago, buckero0 said:

Landspeeder  looks right, what are you talking about?

Which is why I always ask for measurements now, because despite "looking right", it's substantially over-sized. Like, not a wee bit oversized like with the Occupier which is circa 1:44 scale while most Legion vehicles are ~1:46-1:47, it's more like 1:30. People are of course free not not give a monkey's and be satisfied with the eyeball approach, I'm more of a mind that if I'm going to pay the prices FFG are asking then I want scale accuracy and as little "fudging" as possible.

On the plus side...

2 hours ago, CT-4661 "Abbi" said:

I measured it at 175 mm long.

Edit: the saber, that is. Not the landspeeder

That's pretty much spot-on 1:47 scale, thank you.

2 hours ago, GreatMazinkaiser said:

And yet the Occupier still can't fit six figures on 27mm bases on its bed without overhang.

These are toys, meant to be handled, not scale models and they should reflect that reality.

Erm, I dunno how to tell you this mate, but they literally are scale models. They're models, and they're made to a particular scale(in most cases). If you want toys, toddle off and pick up some of those daft looking 3.75" figure vehicles with the giant oversized heads/cockpits and the spring-loaded nerf darts, personally what I'm looking for in my Star Wars models is just that, models, ones that represent what we see on screen as closely as possible.

If I wanted to play a game that didn't look like what we see on the screen, I'd save myself a small fortune and buy Star Wars Monopoly or something else with abstract counters.

28 minutes ago, Yodhrin said:

Erm, I dunno how to tell you this mate, but they literally are scale models. They're models, and they're made to a particular scale(in most cases). If you want toys, toddle off and pick up some of those daft looking 3.75" figure vehicles with the giant oversized heads/cockpits and the spring-loaded nerf darts, personally what I'm looking for in my Star Wars models is just that, models, ones that represent what we see on screen as closely as possible.

If I wanted to play a game that didn't look like what we see on the screen, I'd save myself a small fortune and buy Star Wars Monopoly or something else with abstract counters.

You’re gonna lose your mind when they release the ATAT because it wont be to scale.

34 minutes ago, Yodhrin said:

Models aren't toys? It's cool to like what you like, but theres no need to be a jerk about it.

1 hour ago, Yodhrin said:

Dude these are 100% toys.

Made for a game... to be played with. 

Posted (edited)

The media itself doesn't keep a consistent scale for the vehicles. Which is why there is now something like three or four different canon variants of the AT-AT, because they kept changing the scale.  So the occupier and landspeeder aren't out of scale, they are just a different variant than what was seen in the films. If I recall correctly, there is even a book and toys that incorrectly refers to the Occupier as a hover tank (I believe they changed it in production to reduce costs?).

At least historical wargame rivet counters have real world consistent measurements to use. Here, it's all made up numbers for what "looked" right based on specific scenes. 

Edited by Caimheul1313

There's two versions of the occupier, actually, GAVw and GAVr (w is wheeled/tracked, r is repulsor). Rebels uses the repulsor version, because that's probably cheaper for 3d cg models, but the prop in R1 is obviously land based and tracked. I think they may intended to use the effect to make it hover but decided it looked better or was too expensive or whatever. 

5 hours ago, UnitOmega said:

There's two versions of the occupier, actually, GAVw and GAVr (w is wheeled/tracked, r is repulsor). Rebels uses the repulsor version, because that's probably cheaper for 3d cg models, but the prop in R1 is obviously land based and tracked. I think they may intended to use the effect to make it hover but decided it looked better or was too expensive or whatever. 

According to Wookiepedia, the intention was for the hover version to be the only version. For some reason they changed to the tracked (cost seems most likely), but since toy lines were developed early in production, many of them (including Lego) and the ultimate visual guide had a hover tank. Using it in Rebels seems like a means of making it officially canon.

More man-hours unfold each year in the SW galaxy than in all of Terran recorded history. Huge amounts of variation would be expected. 

That said, if they cannot release an AT-AT that towers over the AT-ST and has a head at least as big as a snowspeeder, I’d rather they not release it at all.  

1 hour ago, TauntaunScout said:

That said, if they cannot release an AT-AT that towers over the AT-ST and has a head at least as big as a snowspeeder, I’d rather they not release it at all.  

As far as the scale of this game (speaking of scale) I don't really think the At-At belongs in Legion.  I see people clamoring for different walkers from the clone wars as well and frankly they don't belong either.  AtSt is probably as big as it gets.  Everything else should be in the distance or in a diorama Gameshow type setting, not in regular gameplay.

10 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

AtSt is probably as big as it gets. 

The AAT (9.19m long) is already bigger than the AT-ST (8.6m tall) . And there are a few things that are a bit bigger than that which I think will likely be added at some point. Like the NR-N99 for CIS (10.96m long) and the AT-AP for GAR (11m tall). The AT-DP (11.6m tall) for Empire is also possible, though I think that is pushing it a bit on height. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lochlan said:

The AAT (9.19m long) is already bigger than the AT-ST (8.6m tall) .

Close enough reference point though, we're talking less than a meter difference there. Personally, I am honestly not familiar enough with anything from the prequels to articulate an idea using them as an example, so even if a model kit is a little bit bigger, I'd still use the AT-ST or some other such thing as my point of comparison.

Edited by TauntaunScout

4 hours ago, buckero0 said:

As far as the scale of this game (speaking of scale) I don't really think the At-At belongs in Legion.  I see people clamoring for different walkers from the clone wars as well and frankly they don't belong either.  AtSt is probably as big as it gets.  Everything else should be in the distance or in a diorama Gameshow type setting, not in regular gameplay.

Certain Armada players kept saying the Ssd was too big too and yet we got one. The atat will come, it’ll just be a few years.

33 minutes ago, ninclouse2000 said:

Certain Armada players kept saying the Ssd was too big too and yet we got one. The atat will come, it’ll just be a few years.

Armada is on a severe sliding scale, unlike Legion. Also, I believe Alex Davy has stated the Sabre and AAT where about as big as they wanted to get for Legion in a live stream. 

Time will tell of course, but I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

1 hour ago, ninclouse2000 said:

The SSD in Armada is also absolutely puny in size, but functional. They also had to come up with neutered rules to make it work in normal play. 

Since we're talking about scale, keep in mind that the reported scale of something in Star Wars isn't always accurate.

One example of this is the A-Wing - comparing the pilot and cockpit size to the rest of the fighter indicates a length of approximately 4.8m, but the officially reported length has long been 9.6m.  At 9.6m, the A-Wing's cockpit would be very roomy, which is obviously not the case in Return of the Jedi.

Don't trust the numbers from Disney or Lucasfilm, and go with what looks right to you.

There's plenty to do without getting into AT-AT territory.  Things like Hailfire Droids and the like are great candidates for war machines in Legion game scale.  Granted, there's many more canon options for the Clone wars.