Sign in to follow this  
Evil Aardvark

Wheel of Judgement - New RPG Sourcebook

The Mantis do have the support of the Crab if they make a bid for Great Clanhood, thanks to... Yasuki Taka?  I dunno, I call him Yasuki Jupeshi in my stalled campaign.  He's a minor crime boss legitimate businessman, and friends with my buddy's character, Hida no Jonnu Kandei.

I dunno, is Great Clanhood too big o a thing to leave up to a tournament decision? because that seems like a possibility to me.

11 minutes ago, The Grand Falloon said:

I dunno, is Great Clanhood too big o a thing to leave up to a tournament decision? because that seems like a possibility to me.

Depends where things go. It's a huge decision, so it'd be a Worlds/Winter Court level one if it is.

The idea of the potential Great Clan status of the Mantis Clan being a player decision both excites me, and fills me with utter dread.

(And, as usual, the disclaimer that I have absolutely NO idea how, when or even IF, FFG intends to do such a thing. Just saying how the idea of leaving it up to a player decision makes me feel.)

Edited by DGLaderoute

I feel like with the way they've been doing it, making the Mantis a great clan would be an executive decision, but the particulars of that decision would be a result of a tournament. Will their duties be A or B, will they support one side of a conflict or another, are they Red Sox or Yankees fans, etc.

Another possibility is for the Whatever-the-Term-is-for-the-Current-Clan-Rep to decide how each of their clan views the Mantis, at least at the start, with the options being Ally, Enemy, or Neutral, or something similar.

4 hours ago, DGLaderoute said:

The idea of the potential Great Clan status of the Mantis Clan being a player decision both excites me, and fills me with utter dread.

(And, as usual, the disclaimer that I have absolutely NO idea how, when or even IF, FFG intends to do such a thing. Just saying how the idea of leaving it up to a player decision makes me feel.)

Am I cool for the Mantis Clan to reach Great Clan status? Sure, I guess. 

Am I cool that it might be at the expenses of some of the Minor Clans losing their identity? Hard No.  

On 2/27/2020 at 7:33 PM, BlindSamurai13 said:

Am I cool for the Mantis Clan to reach Great Clan status? Sure, I guess. 

Am I cool that it might be at the expenses of some of the Minor Clans losing their identity? Hard No.  

In fairness, one thing that feels different this time is a degree of emphasis that the Mantis ARE a peer to the other great clans in size, wealth, etc. They're not "the biggest minor clan", they're more like a great clan denied the legal and social benefits of the status by heritage and tradition (and, not unreasonably, have a chip on their shoulder about this).

They wouldn't necessarily need to have a minor clan alliance and absorb a bunch of other unique factions if they were to be granted "great clan" imprimatur. 

Plus, you know, for some reason the Imperial Herald likes them....

Edited by Magnus Grendel