Sign in to follow this  
Joshuarleonard

"New Product(sssss)"

12 hours ago, Allonym said:

Update: Apparently, Matt has clarified unofficially that the effect only takes effect during your actual turn in the investigation phase, so no penalty for the Mythos phase. Which is good, but really needs to be clarified in the FAQ...

13 hours ago, Assussanni said:

ahc51_quick-learner.png

As I understand it is pretty clear - During of before your first action of each of your turns,....so it would limit this ability only during your turn, as per Matts clarification 🙂 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DarkFate said:

The first 4xp survivor card but i don't think it is really worth it.

Oh it can be worth it. Your first action does not have to have a skill test involved (move, gain a resource, draw a card, etc), and you can have 2 copies in play. Drawing Thin and Take Heart are almost reason enough to want to fail a test, but paired with lucky, look what I've found, rise to the occasion, dumb luck, live and learn, lucky, or oops, or Rabbit's Foot (3) and things don't look so grim.  Remember that the 3rd+ actions have the difficulty lowered, which means ANY test that is 2 or less (if you have 2 copies) becomes a near-auto pass as the difficulty becomes 0.

It also will affect tests at the end of your turn like Frozen in Fear as they happen during/after the 3rd action.

Toss in the fact that Stella gets an extra action when she fails, and Rogue subbed Survivors like Wendy can take Leo, Haste, Swift Reflexes, and Quick Thinking...and.. well.. that's a lot of bang for your buck. 

Edited by Soakman

13 minutes ago, Soakman said:

Oh it can be worth it. Your first action does not have to have a skill test involved (move, gain a resource, draw a card, etc)

Why the **** had this not occurred to me?

3 hours ago, DarkFate said:

The first 4xp survivor card but i don't think it is really worth it.

So, as @Soakman points out, it's very easy (indeed trivial in some circumstances) to get net value from Quick Learner. At which point, it's essentially one of the strongest cards in the game. Why were Higher Education, Scrapper and Streetwise taboo'd? And why are Stick to the Plan, Another Day, Another Dollar and Studious so absurdly powerful? Because they make your deck strictly better. Adding a non-permanent card to your deck is always a cost/benefit analysis - how does this change the cost curve of my deck? This is powerful but do I want to invest so much into a single card if I might not draw it? What am I replacing? How does this change how I mulligan? How late in the game can I play it and still see a benefit? And so on, and so forth. But a permanent card is always online, for no cost in cards, actions or resources, and so if you want to incorporate it into your strategy, it will always be there, making the rest of your deck better as well by making one of the components of your deck guaranteed.

Now obviously Quick Learner isn't necessarily a strict benefit because it has that downside, but if you're using it for an overall benefit, it provides huge value without any cost at all. The fact that it's a difficulty increase/reduction rather than a penalty/bonus is particularly huge because of how likely you are to be able to reduce test difficulties to zero. I'm honestly surprised it isn't something like level 3 Exceptional - it's going to become exponentially stronger with two copies.

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2020 at 8:55 PM, Mimi61 said:

“Ragh”??  You are a Marvel guy! 
Wait a minute... is that a ruse? Are you actually                   The Penguin — Cleverly hiding your DC loyalties whilst infiltrating Marvel...

Curses!  Wawawa.  You find feathered fink, I fear you have clipped my wings!  I've really let myself lay an egg at being caught so easily!  It's time I fly the coup!  

(I like your choice of avatar, @Mimi61.)

Edited by Duciris

1 hour ago, Duciris said:

Curses!  Wawawa.  You find feathered fink, I fear you have clipped my wings!  I've really let myself lay an egg at being caught so easily!  It's time I fly the coup!  

(I like your choice of avatar, @Mimi61.)

Ah, one of my favorites!!  Thanks for a good old fashioned belly laugh. If you had to choose a nemesis for infiltration, at least you’ve chosen one with style. Let me guess, Fine Clothes is first in your deck. 

Thanks, I thought it was high time I chose an avatar, although what does it reveal?  Does it make me less or more mysterious??? 
Wawawa! 

Going directly to the News page, I get this:

"This page (https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/) is currently offline. However, because the site uses Cloudflare's Always Online™ technology you can continue to surf a snapshot of the site. We will keep checking in the background and, as soon as the site comes back, you will automatically be served the live version."

Posted (edited)

Could it have anything to do with what Matt mentioned yesterday about them getting information up on their website regarding the delays to shipping and other changes during the COVID-19 crisis?

Edited by Mimi61

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Soakman said:

Oh it can be worth it. Your first action does not have to have a skill test involved (move, gain a resource, draw a card, etc), and you can have 2 copies in play. Drawing Thin and Take Heart are almost reason enough to want to fail a test, but paired with lucky, look what I've found, rise to the occasion, dumb luck, live and learn, lucky, or oops, or Rabbit's Foot (3) and things don't look so grim.  Remember that the 3rd+ actions have the difficulty lowered, which means ANY test that is 2 or less (if you have 2 copies) becomes a near-auto pass as the difficulty becomes 0.

It also will affect tests at the end of your turn like Frozen in Fear as they happen during/after the 3rd action.

Toss in the fact that Stella gets an extra action when she fails, and Rogue subbed Survivors like Wendy can take Leo, Haste, Swift Reflexes, and Quick Thinking...and.. well.. that's a lot of bang for your buck. 

2 hours ago, Allonym said:

So, as @Soakman points out, it's very easy (indeed trivial in some circumstances) to get net value from Quick Learner. At which point, it's essentially one of the strongest cards in the game. Why were Higher Education, Scrapper and Streetwise taboo'd? And why are Stick to the Plan, Another Day, Another Dollar and Studious so absurdly powerful? Because they make your deck strictly better. Adding a non-permanent card to your deck is always a cost/benefit analysis - how does this change the cost curve of my deck? This is powerful but do I want to invest so much into a single card if I might not draw it? What am I replacing? How does this change how I mulligan? How late in the game can I play it and still see a benefit? And so on, and so forth. But a permanent card is always online, for no cost in cards, actions or resources, and so if you want to incorporate it into your strategy, it will always be there, making the rest of your deck better as well by making one of the components of your deck guaranteed.

Now obviously Quick Learner isn't necessarily a strict benefit because it has that downside, but if you're using it for an overall benefit, it provides huge value without any cost at all. The fact that it's a difficulty increase/reduction rather than a penalty/bonus is particularly huge because of how likely you are to be able to reduce test difficulties to zero. I'm honestly surprised it isn't something like level 3 Exceptional - it's going to become exponentially stronger with two copies.

You guys are like the “player card whisperers”.                   Holy cow, did I just go Valley Girl?  I haven’t lived in California for 15 years and valley girl speak was ludicrous to me even then. The Cabin Fever must be taking hold... 

Even though we won’t have Weaver Of the Cosmos in our hot little hands for a while, could we get your thoughts and hot takes, since the cards have been spoiled anyway? Some of the cards that we got in Dream Eaters will be useful to the new investigators just announced and that may be fun to explore. 

Edited by Mimi61

No need to create a new thread for this question:

INVESTIGATOR DECKS: WHO'S YOUR FAVORITE?

So far, I'm looking most forward to playing as Jacqueline with a close second of Nathaniel Cho, but maybe that's just because I haven't paid enough attention to Stella or Wini.  (I traditionally play as a Seeker, so Harvey is the least exciting to me at this point.)

4 minutes ago, Duciris said:

For multiplayer I’d be most excited about playing Jacqueline.

For solo I’d be most excited about playing Winifred.

Stella has my favourite backstory. That house and the letters? Real creepy.

1 hour ago, Duciris said:

So I think I am most interested in seeing how Nathaniel Cho shakes out - that guardian event-based monster-killing build looks like fantastic fun.

Stella is a close second - I really love Survivors and leaning hard into the fail to win archetype is very appealing. I think she'll be the one I'll most consistently want to play. She might compete with Patrice Hathaway for my overall favourite...

On 3/25/2020 at 4:34 PM, Mimi61 said:

You guys are like the “player card whisperers”.                   Holy cow, did I just go Valley Girl?  I haven’t lived in California for 15 years and valley girl speak was ludicrous to me even then. The Cabin Fever must be taking hold... 

Even though we won’t have Weaver Of the Cosmos in our hot little hands for a while, could we get your thoughts and hot takes, since the cards have been spoiled anyway? Some of the cards that we got in Dream Eaters will be useful to the new investigators just announced and that may be fun to explore. 

Well, I'm self-isolating right now without much better to do, so I guess I will have time for some more wordy thoughts. I'll give it a shot over the weekend, in the Dream-Eaters thread.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Allonym said:

Well, I'm self-isolating right now without much better to do, so I guess I will have time for some more wordy thoughts. I'll give it a shot over the weekend, in the Dream-Eaters thread

The wordier the better! We have lots of time to peruse your thoughts. You never suffer from Erklärungsnot, which really is a gift. As a teacher, I wish I could always say the same. 

Edited by Mimi61

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Duciris said:

So far, I'm looking most forward to playing as Jacqueline with a close second of Nathaniel Cho, but maybe that's just because I haven't paid enough attention to Stella or Wini.  (I traditionally play as a Seeker, so Harvey is the least exciting to me at this point.)

I probably won't get around to looking at the cards in depth anytime soon, but I'm excited to read Allonym's analyses. 

As far as who's my favorite? My favorite (for story/character reasons) is probably Stella, but to be honest, I am very very over survivors right now. I've played Patrice and my own survivor most recently, and Wendy in a TTS cycle... and to be honest, I want to play something that does not fail (purposefully or not).

I am most excited for Nathaniel. I'm not a huge guardian fan in general if I'm honest. The reliance on heavily costed assets starts to feel very same-y to me, and Nathaniel is going to break that mold. I almost think of him as the guardian answer to Sefina. And Sefina is my most beloved investigator (especially until I get to see what they decide to do with Gloria).

Events are just more fun than assets for me. Each one is situational and a response to a particular threat or puzzle, and when you use them well, you feel like you have chosen something meaningful for your deck. Assets are essential to most classes...but...what if they weren't? Enter Nathaniel.

What I'm not super excited for is Harvey. We've been using card draw decks for seekers since core. It's great that we have someone who specializes in that now, but it's sort of meh to me. Additionally, I've been in situations, like recently with Bound Beast, where I did NOT want to draw cards. I like the idea that Harvey can support card draw no matter how he builds his own deck, but he does not have me excited.

In order of  desire to play them:

1. Nathaniel
2. Winnie
3. Jacqueline (Jacqueline and Stella are close... maybe by the time they come out, I'll prefer Stella)
4. Stella
5. Harvey

But can I just say that I think Grimm's Fairy Tales looks like an excellent deck include for Agnes? She doesn't have a lot of competition for her hand slots... and what could be creepier as a pair than a Meat Cleave and a book of Fairy Tales (I mean a teddy bear and a meat cleaver is also pretty creepy)?

Edited by Soakman

Winifred would be the one i am most interested in playing now for regular multiplayer.

For solo it would be Jacqueline with a seal all the good tokens playstyle.

Harvey is great but i think i still prefer Daisy.

Then it is Stella with a full out fail to succeed playstyle.

Lastly it would Nathanial. He is a strong combatant but just doesn't seem particularly interesting.

I tend to mostly enjoy mystics when I play with my 4-player group, because they can usually be jack of all trade characters (running around saving the clue gatherer and getting clues he was supposed to get 🧐). This is why I am not preferring them at the moment and consequently I fell no interest in Jacqueline at the moment (although I have a a high percentage of auto-fail token...).

As @Soakman , I don't quite like the stereotypical guardian play, so Nathaniel is a interesting jock. Will definitely try, if nothing else for a different deck building style.

Winnie should also be interesting in the same way of a different deck building style, although the rouges are quite a distinct bunch 🙂

Survivors are my Achilles heel - I would love to play them, but usually adjust to the group regarding their investigator choices. Also, one of the players plays primarily a survivor fail to win deck and I think he will be pretty bonkers for Stella.

Excessive card draw is not my thing (well, I haven't played Mandy yet, maybe she will change my mind), so I am probably the least interested in Walters.

So yeah - Nathaniel/Winnie, then Stella, Jacqueline and lastly Walters.

7 hours ago, Jurcccy said:

As @Soakman , I don't quite like the stereotypical guardian play, so Nathaniel is a interesting jock. Will definitely try, if nothing else for a different deck building style.

Yet your avatar is Zoey ????  🙂

I guess I am in the minority, I love the traditional Guardian build with a .45 Automatic in one hand and a Machete in the other, Guard Dog or Beat Cop there to watch my back. Monster? Boom, you're gone. 

That said, Cho does sound pretty interesting. I played Silas Marsh recently and using Brute Force, Flare, and Tennessee Sour Mash to fight was really fun. Cho can't use those cards, but using Guardian events to fight may be pretty cool.

But, to answer the original question, I have to admit that I was immediately attracted to Jacqueline Fine. I seem to pull bad tokens a high enough percentage of the time to use Olive McBride whenever I can, even after proving to myself statistically that she doesn't significantly improve my chances for success. (I am such a geek.) So, Jacqueline, the Psychic, is the new investigator I am most looking forward to trying. Plus, Psych is one of my all-time favorite TV shows. 😉

14 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

Nope. They posted it on Tuesday. Today was bereft. Not a Bow or Wow. 

I think that last years April Fools was good enough to last two years.  I was really hoping that they'd do a surprise release of Barkham yesterday.  That would have been incredible. 🙂