Sign in to follow this  
Joshuarleonard

"New Product(sssss)"

Would anyone really be against new investigators making their debut in the LCG? I mean, we've just recently Stella the Letter Carrier debut in the board game - why not have more launch in the card game?

33 minutes ago, dysartes said:

Would anyone really be against new investigators making their debut in the LCG? I mean, we've just recently Stella the Letter Carrier debut in the board game - why not have more launch in the card game?

Sefina Rousseau was launched in the card game, so there is already precedent. It's completely possible we'll see more. 

6 hours ago, dysartes said:

I'm not against it.  I just think that they'll keep her exclusive to the board game for at least one cycle.  I bet we'll see her or Daniela Reyes in the LCG fairly soon.

13 hours ago, Antimarkovnikov said:

I think the out of stock issue is more of a supply from China issue than it is something intentional.

Either way I'm really excited to see what they announce on the 19th. JUST FOUR MORE DAYS!

Yeah, I don’t think the out of stock thing is intentional either. Just that this game is picking up. Your thoughts about the backstories of investigators not as well known is absolutely true, but when I first started playing Arkham, it was the board game and I didn’t know all the investigators yet either. That didn’t last long though. 
Whatever it will be, Thursday can’t come soon enough. We need something to distract us from the all this doom and gloom. Some Doom and Horror should cheer us right up!! 

Edited by Mimi61

5 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

Yeah, I don’t think the out of stock thing is intentional either. Just that this game is picking up. Your thoughts about the backstories of investigators not as well known is absolutely true, but when I first started playing Arkham, it was the board game and I didn’t know all the investigators yet either. That didn’t last long though. 
Whatever it will be, Thursday can’t come soon enough. We need something to distract us from the all this doom and gloom. Some Doom and Horror should cheer us right up!! 

You just need Something Worth Fighting For during these times, huh?

Edited by dysartes

On 3/14/2020 at 11:28 PM, Mimi61 said:

... Like the Hero packs for Marvel. I think those are 40 cards right? ...

They are 62 card decks.  1 of the cards is a little note which says "hey, don't add the cards after this card to your starter deck".  The playable deck contains 4-6 neutrals from the core plus 2-4 class cards from the core (so, duplicates).  Still though, you could pick up Captain America and the Wrecking Crew and play without the core set.  (Wrecking Crew is unique its lack of core cards to be played).

2 hours ago, Duciris said:

They are 62 card decks.  1 of the cards is a little note which says "hey, don't add the cards after this card to your starter deck".  The playable deck contains 4-6 neutrals from the core plus 2-4 class cards from the core (so, duplicates).  Still though, you could pick up Captain America and the Wrecking Crew and play without the core set.  (Wrecking Crew is unique its lack of core cards to be played).

Hmmmm. Would that be a model they’d  pursue with AHCG? People new to the game aren’t wanting to invest in a second core set, since so many cards are superfluous. That has been a beef.  If they were to release investigators with a starting deck of unique player cards and maybe some tried and true core set cards, it would give new people a chance to try the game that way and not have to invest in a second core set. 60 cards is a big bundle though. 

Is there really any advantage to FFG releasing investigator packs, or changing the distribution to follow the Champions model?  By all accounts Arkham is an incredibly successful game, and the current distribution massively increases the number of useless cards people buy.  That's gold.

There are drawbacks to the LCG system as it grows.  Could they be trying to address that preemptively?  I suppose, but honestly early action has never really been their thing.  I highly doubt that the new products will be more of what we're already getting just in a different distribution shell.

2 hours ago, Buhallin said:

There are drawbacks to the LCG system as it grows.  Could they be trying to address that preemptively?  I suppose, but honestly early action has never really been their thing.  I highly doubt that the new products will be more of what we're already getting just in a different distribution shell.

That makes sense too. Or maybe even a player card only core set for upgrading. Well, hopefully the show still will go on this Thursday! With so many of us working from home, they’d have a pretty good audience.

6 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

Or maybe even a player card only core set for upgrading.

There's even less reason for them to do this than there would be to do new investigator-only packs.  The target consumer base would be very small, it would be another product for shops to stock (which has a very real cost), and it arguably isn't even necessary - while there are still some solid cards from the core the card pool is big enough now that missing that second Magnifying Glass or Shriveling isn't a serious impediment to playing.

I may be a bit biased here - I never found the second core purchase to be any more than slightly annoying and all the angst over it vastly overblown, but there's really no motivation for them to "fix" that issue this far into the game's life.

3 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

Speaking of releases, how is yours coming? 

It’s up on bgg but am waiting for the Arkham Central listing and will put a post up here. Ideas for scenario 2 are coming along but will probably be some time before that one is ready to test at all. Hoping people enjoy scenario 1! Maybe it’ll give some people something to do while socially distancing and waiting for news.

Edited by Soakman

If I were to design an investigator-specific product release for AH-TCG, it would have a 'gator who was already (or yet to be) released in an expansion, but with alternate signature cards, like in the novella promos. And it wouldn't include many other player cards. It would include a single scenario tailored to that 'gator and leveraging their personal history. Other 'gators could come along: it would still play 1-4, but that particular one would be necessary.

51 minutes ago, Carthoris said:

If I were to design an investigator-specific product release for AH-TCG, it would have a 'gator who was already (or yet to be) released in an expansion, but with alternate signature cards, like in the novella promos. And it wouldn't include many other player cards. It would include a single scenario tailored to that 'gator and leveraging their personal history. Other 'gators could come along: it would still play 1-4, but that particular one would be necessary.

This is almost exactly what I did with the Jenny scenario I created (I called them signature scenarios). The problem is that if players don’t use that class or like the investigator specifically, sales could be largely variable.

Unfortunately I don’t have the time or resources to make like 50 of these ha!

Edited by Soakman

The Novellas sold well even though a good percentage of people didn't bother reading the things (at least that's the impression I got online).  I think if you put replacement investigator cards in there then those decks would sell decently well.  If FFG were seriously considering Carthoris' product I'd think they could just look to the novellas to gauge sales numbers.

I always liked the idea of scenarios targeted at specific investigators.  I think that's a nice idea for investigators that are not likely to get a novella so you have some diversity of product.  As Matt alluded to in the last livestream it's probably not reasonable to expect a Novella for every investigator. So it would be nice to have some other product to feed replacement cards into the card pool.  Maybe even scenarios aimed at teams of investigators.  A Diana/Preston scenario for example would be easy since they share a common background.

Edited by phillos

57 minutes ago, Carthoris said:

I like the idea of a signature scenario (nod to Soakman) for an investigator. That would be cool to play the first time you want to try a new investigator, or even with an old favorite. I could see it fitting in as a stand-alone that you could insert (probably at the beginning) into a campaign to "introduce" the investigator and backstory. I would buy that.