Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Joshuarleonard

"New Product(sssss)"

Recommended Posts

I haven't seen people talk about about it much, but they mentioned in the AMA  last week there is a "new type of product" they are releasing between Return to TFA and Innsmouth Conspiracy. Any fun theories??

 

My partner is hoping for the return of the minis (using updated MoM 2ed models), but I think I saw in another thread that wasn't something FFG was getting back into (aside from with MoM). 

 

Another friend thought it could be a storage unit for investigator/class/weakness cards, since the campaigns get their own via Return To's. 

 

Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Soakman said:

Oh turns out it may just be escape rooms lol. That I can’t go to because they are nowhere close?

https://hourglassescapes.com/games/arkham-horror-escape-room-seattle/?fbclid=IwAR31AkCugYYwYDAy9DF06_h20qF0_elBsCKoriyZLXfZ5CrOpO4AWmUq4Kk

Nah... that's not really new (or a 'product' per se) and isn't even specific to this game.

I love the idea of Investigator packs, but my gut says it's not that either.

I wish I had some kind of idea what it was, though... instead of poo-poo'ing other people's ideas.  :)

Edited by KBlumhardt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Soakman said:

Oh turns out it may just be escape rooms lol. That I can’t go to because they are nowhere close?

https://hourglassescapes.com/games/arkham-horror-escape-room-seattle/?fbclid=IwAR31AkCugYYwYDAy9DF06_h20qF0_elBsCKoriyZLXfZ5CrOpO4AWmUq4Kk

Woah!! Did not see that coming... 

While this is super super cool, I kinda hope this isn't what they were referencing. Since only a very small slice of the fandom could enjoy this. 

 

Crazy Idea Though (and not saying this is the "new product"): How cool would an Arkham Files Murder Mystery Dinner Party be? Like a print-at-home package. Maybe someone in the party is a cultist and you have to figure out who. Or the King in Yellow is slowly driving your dinner party mad. 

Edited by Joshuarleonard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really know how escape room puzzle creation works, but if Matt and Jeremy had a hand in the puzzles (which I wouldn't put past them), I don't see why it couldn't be that. No confirmation that they did though. It is specifically Arkham Horror Files and presumably someone would have had to put work into the design. I would love to try it, but I'm closer to east coast.

I also think that it reasonably could be something else, but as for what, I'm not sure. I suppose it could just be booster packs of faction cards. Like a pack of only player card assets for survivors, a pack for guardians, etc. Cards that maybe they wanted to have level up but couldn't really find enough space within the cycles to include? This is all complete speculation at this point though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Soakman said:

I also think that it reasonably could be something else, but as for what, I'm not sure. I suppose it could just be booster packs of faction cards. Like a pack of only player card assets for survivors, a pack for guardians, etc. Cards that maybe they wanted to have level up but couldn't really find enough space within the cycles to include? This is all complete speculation at this point though.

I like the idea, but unless they're full 60-card packs the different packaging would be a nightmare.  Anything's possible, but I don't see them breaking the mold on how they distribute it.

FFG has never met a piece of art or game mechanic that it didn't reuse everywhere it possibly could.  With LOTR still getting more of those godawful competitive packs, my money is (disappointingly) on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Soakman said:
3 hours ago, Zbornou said:

Investigators Packs? Investigators+ Players cards...

Highly doubtful but as they stated they have been hard at work’ I’m hoping for... maybe a scenario pack that is specific to one particular investigator and maybe also includes replacements? 

Since they’ve pre-released some individual investigators with Novella’s, could they maybe release scenarios based on the backstories of Novella/Investigators already released?  An “Ire of the Void” scenario for example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Joshuarleonard said:

Woah!! Did not see that coming... 

FFG Escape rooms are nothing new.

Why not pay a visit to the Mansions of Madness one in Canada.

https://escapegames.ca/mission/the-missing-will-escape-room/?fbclid=IwAR1dlYjHtsFSOXBcNfJNgi_FtS0Ixt9qexHi_uNuRkwTiC31019ApCvMqOU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny theory and speculation ?! I have a lot of those for you ;) 

Firstly, full or mainly player card product :

  - we can have pack that introduce new investigators, but I feel that FFG have not in mind to bringing a lot of new gators when they can need some for keeping the game when all the known gators will be out ( only 4 more cycles ...).

 -The other idea is just alternates cards for existing gators, or linked to a specific trait of class. I can see that, but honestly, for me, the game is fun because each cards is created with a good link between fluff and mechanics, this is hard to do on the long term, so they would want to keep there good ideas for the principal line, not for a spin-off product. 

 - Return to Player box. I can see that, with not encounters cards in addition, like the encounters from the core that are used in cycles, for keeping all needed cards in only one place. Perhaps new versions of them. The problem with that is they cannot do a lot of them. They are limited to the number of Class. And we would'n know where to put new type of cards, like multiclass.

 

Secondly, full or mainly encounters product :

  - Before or After the ''Cycle name'' ... Some sort of prequel of sequel to each campaign. I can see some sort of Final Hour scenario, like when you loose and the Ancient One is awakened, you must make it returning to his sleep, in some sort of unchained **** with all his minions released on earth scenario. Not a huge fan of it, because, that would mean keeping the same lore. We would want to see new things. And that would mean increase the price for playing the Full and complete form of a campaign.

 - My favorite One. Little campaign box. Some sort of 3 or 4 scenario campaign, that would be something on his own, and permitting to explore things we would'nt in the principal line. Like, Cthugga or others less known ancient ones. The way to go in some exotic places, China or Australia. And nothing restrain FFG to make some king between the little campaign for making them playable as a huge one. Or to give some players cards in the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Buhallin said:

I like the idea, but unless they're full 60-card packs the different packaging would be a nightmare.  Anything's possible, but I don't see them breaking the mold on how they distribute it.

FFG has never met a piece of art or game mechanic that it didn't reuse everywhere it possibly could.  With LOTR still getting more of those godawful competitive packs, my money is (disappointingly) on that.

How did I forget that!

Matt was quietly taking a few people at a time during Arkham Nights to test out an Overlord mode he'd created.  Rather than the scenario being random cards to screw you over, he'd play cards against your team.

He did say he didn't expect that ever to go anywhere though; just something cool to play with.  It's only 4 months later, could they have solved it and play-tested it enough to put it into production already?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they would do that, but honnestly, this is too much near of that test. Perhaps some days .... But I'm not objective about that, I love when products add new artworks with a lot of monsters and cultist, a new place to explore, so a product that come only with existing cards with a rule change for make it playable for the new format isn't really what I would expect from Arkham. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't really think how a GM/Overlord mode would work with out a) massive adjustment of all scenarios, b) Some pretty big system of limitations on the overlord. Otherwise, you just play the right treachery on the right investigator and it's over in a few turns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Eldan985 said:

I can't really think how a GM/Overlord mode would work with out a) massive adjustment of all scenarios, b) Some pretty big system of limitations on the overlord. Otherwise, you just play the right treachery on the right investigator and it's over in a few turns.

One possibility is that the overlord has to work with a "hand" as well - e.g. have a starting hand of ( 2 x # investigators) cards.  Then each round, play one per investigator and then at end of round draw up to max hand.  Of course things like surge would impact this, so still some work to do.

So things are harder since Overlord can deal out treacheries to whom they would impact most, but it's not as bad as if they could cherry pick from the entire encounter set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Soakman said:

I have less interest in overlord packs than hidden betrayal mechanics if I’m honest so I hope it’s not that.

Definitely agree. Overlord mechanics are one of the many reasons that Mansions of Madness 1e failed and why 2e is better (and why Imperial Assault has found success allowing actual co-op via the app).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are just so fiddly, and I don’t think there’s a lot of people who love this game that would want overlord stuff. A lot of people are solo players it turns out (not me) but it would not even really be playable by that subset. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

I can't really think how a GM/Overlord mode would work with out a) massive adjustment of all scenarios, b) Some pretty big system of limitations on the overlord. Otherwise, you just play the right treachery on the right investigator and it's over in a few turns.

 

18 hours ago, ricedwlit said:

One possibility is that the overlord has to work with a "hand" as well - e.g. have a starting hand of ( 2 x # investigators) cards.  Then each round, play one per investigator and then at end of round draw up to max hand.  Of course things like surge would impact this, so still some work to do.

So things are harder since Overlord can deal out treacheries to whom they would impact most, but it's not as bad as if they could cherry pick from the entire encounter set.

Yeah, he had a hand, and the scenario was custom (i.e. not a pre-existing one).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2020 at 6:00 PM, Mimi61 said:

Since they’ve pre-released some individual investigators with Novella’s, could they maybe release scenarios based on the backstories of Novella/Investigators already released?  An “Ire of the Void” scenario for example. 

I like this idea.  Possibly throw in some alt art replacements from the books for when this is played with the intended investigator, and another set of player cards as rewards/punishment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Allonym said:

Definitely agree. Overlord mechanics are one of the many reasons that Mansions of Madness 1e failed and why 2e is better (and why Imperial Assault has found success allowing actual co-op via the app).

I don't know.  I have family that would find this pretty intriguing

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overlord could work in the sense that it plays out like competitive LOTR.  Having a customized scenario complete with Ancient One.  It would have to be strictly stand alone.  I can't see how this idea would tie into a campaign. 

This could offer new deck building challenges.  Create the ultimate scenario and test your deck building skills to overcome the Elder God.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Turtlefan2082 said:

Overlord could work in the sense that it plays out like competitive LOTR.  Having a customized scenario complete with Ancient One.  It would have to be strictly stand alone.  I can't see how this idea would tie into a campaign. 

This could offer new deck building challenges.  Create the ultimate scenario and test your deck building skills to overcome the Elder God.

I hear all that but then why not just create a new competitive Arkham files lcg? It feels like that would be practically an entirely new game to me. Maybe AH LCG 2nd edition. But I wouldn’t buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Soakman said:

I hear all that but then why not just create a new competitive Arkham files lcg? It feels like that would be practically an entirely new game to me. Maybe AH LCG 2nd edition. But I wouldn’t buy it.

The deal is that competitive wouldn't just go against the nature of the card game, but of the whole Arkham Horror Files line.  The closest we had to an Arkham Horror competitive game was Mansions of Madness 1st Edition, and that was more of a dungeon crawl type rpg than an actual competitive game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...