Jump to content
Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Star Wars The High Republic: Light of the Jedi

Recommended Posts

 

i1ayk0m1vyi41.png

Star Wars The High Republic: Light of the Jedi

The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It’s an energy field created by all living things.

Until. . . .

 

 

Project Luminous is an interconnected Multimedia story set 300-400 years before The Skywalker Saga revolving around the Jedi scouting the Unknown Regions.
 

Quote:

these stories would be separate, but also connected, similar to the MCU

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well now we know why Disney blocked reprinting Old Republic stuff in French years ago. This totally doesn't look like it was worth that. This looks like a compilation of every thing wrong with current media design. Women with half the head shaved, the only hairstyle for black women being a big afro (5 years ago this would have been deemed horrifically racist.), "relatable characters" instead of interesting ones (Do I "relate to" among the farmer whose guardians are murdered after he finds classified information and learns super powers and his secret legacy? The princess who gets kidnapped by the military then watched her entire planet get killed? The career criminal who gets in way over his head when taking a job to pay off his debt?), explicit "diversity" (Every. Single. Work. I've seen with this as a selling point has been nothing but token characters with little to no personality, and often the "characters" are interchangeable between works.). The only thing that could set off more alarms is if they described the characters as "quirky".

edit: Oh dear God, I just noticed the black girl's "smile". The personality implications are horrible.

Edited by NanashiAnon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good news: new star wars content
The bad news: more star wars content they will probably **** up
I am very opposed to the idea of just pumping out content again (like MCU) just for the content.

Dammit Disney...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

THE ERA

  • “The High Republic” is set around 200 years before The Phantom Menace.
  • “It’s a golden time,” says Michael Siglain, Creative Director, Lucasfilm. “A time of peace and prosperity… a time when the Jedi really are galactic guardians, stewards of peace and justice.”
  • The Jedi of the High Republic era are like the Jedi Knights of the Round Table.
  • There is a Wild West element to the era. The galaxy is not as “settled” as it is during the Skywalker Saga. It is also a time of “greatly expanded Jedi activity.” The Jedi play a law enforcement type role.
  • The borders of the Republic will be threatened by a new villain. The new villains are called the Nihil (Nile) and they are described as being like “space Vikings.” Their motto? “You can’t take it with you, but we can take it from you.” They are designed to be very different from the Empire and the First Order. “They’re not a bunch of uniformed soldiers serving a higher purpose.” Something much more “punk rock.” “They’re unified, but they’re also all out for themselves.” The Nihil are said to be able to use hyperspace in a very dangerous way.
  • We may see a middle-aged Yoda, in his prime.
  • Star Wars isn’t just about the Jedi. We will also see new smugglers, and new bounty hunters.
  • There will be a core group of heroes that will expand over time.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

 

THE ERA

  • “The High Republic” is set around 200 years before The Phantom Menace.
  • “It’s a golden time,” says Michael Siglain, Creative Director, Lucasfilm. “A time of peace and prosperity… a time when the Jedi really are galactic guardians, stewards of peace and justice.”
  • The Jedi of the High Republic era are like the Jedi Knights of the Round Table.
  • There is a Wild West element to the era. The galaxy is not as “settled” as it is during the Skywalker Saga. It is also a time of “greatly expanded Jedi activity.” The Jedi play a law enforcement type role.
  • The borders of the Republic will be threatened by a new villain. The new villains are called the Nihil (Nile) and they are described as being like “space Vikings.” Their motto? “You can’t take it with you, but we can take it from you.” They are designed to be very different from the Empire and the First Order. “They’re not a bunch of uniformed soldiers serving a higher purpose.” Something much more “punk rock.” “They’re unified, but they’re also all out for themselves.” The Nihil are said to be able to use hyperspace in a very dangerous way.
  • We may see a middle-aged Yoda, in his prime.
  • Star Wars isn’t just about the Jedi. We will also see new smugglers, and new bounty hunters.
  • There will be a core group of heroes that will expand over time.

 

 

Seems fresh and new.  An unexplored era of Star Wars lore.  Glad they did not replace the Old Republic.  200 years before Phantom Menace can possibly work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

 

THE ERA

  • “The High Republic” is set around 200 years before The Phantom Menace.
  • “It’s a golden time,” says Michael Siglain, Creative Director, Lucasfilm. “A time of peace and prosperity… a time when the Jedi really are galactic guardians, stewards of peace and justice.”
  • The Jedi of the High Republic era are like the Jedi Knights of the Round Table.
  • There is a Wild West element to the era. The galaxy is not as “settled” as it is during the Skywalker Saga. It is also a time of “greatly expanded Jedi activity.” The Jedi play a law enforcement type role.
  • The borders of the Republic will be threatened by a new villain. The new villains are called the Nihil (Nile) and they are described as being like “space Vikings.” Their motto? “You can’t take it with you, but we can take it from you.” They are designed to be very different from the Empire and the First Order. “They’re not a bunch of uniformed soldiers serving a higher purpose.” Something much more “punk rock.” “They’re unified, but they’re also all out for themselves.” The Nihil are said to be able to use hyperspace in a very dangerous way.
  • We may see a middle-aged Yoda, in his prime.
  • Star Wars isn’t just about the Jedi. We will also see new smugglers, and new bounty hunters.
  • There will be a core group of heroes that will expand over time.

 

 

i saw 400 years not 200 maybe the era spans 200 years

Edited by Daeglan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NanashiAnon said:

explicit "diversity" (Every. Single. Work. I've seen with this as a selling point has been nothing but token characters with little to no personality, and often the "characters" are interchangeable between works.).

That was kinda my first reaction, but based on context it might have been referring to diverse locations or diverse stories, both of which are usually good (this may be a bit of a rosy view). Plus, you obviously can write good characters that are also diverse. Arguably, picking a race (different than species, which is something I would love to see more of) is the least important character decision (in Star Wars, at least), and one that is made for every single human character (heck, just roll a die!). When you start into gender quotas, that becomes more of an issue as you lose some freedom with the characters given the differences between genders. However, not even that should matter all that much. The main issue comes when picking a certain gender or race becomes a way to make a point, and ends up obstructing the writing or making poor characters (something many people, including myself, saw as an issue with Rey, whether rightly or wrongly).

While I am not saying that the characters must all fit into gender stereotypes, how many of you have found a female character who is basically just a more shapely guy all that interesting a character? Not necessarily because the character is a woman, but because it is usually a symptom of general poor writing and character development in general.

As for "Relatable" vs. "Interesting" they can be both. The clone troopers or Ahsoka are good example from the Clone Wars. They are interesting characters, and while you haven't had the same experiences as they have (yeah, I doubt you've slugged it out with a droid army while riding on the top of a juggernaut), you can relate to them in other ways. When you look at Luke, you state all his experiences, but there is much more to the character than just his experiences. It's the human condition (yeah, Star Wars, so we need to be more inclusive... "Sentient Condition"?) more than it is the actual events. That said, I'd vote for interesting over relatable.

I think that it is promising, if only from the scattergun approach. If they throw everything at the wall, surely something will stick. I'm particularly interested in the world building, and apprehensively wondering where they'll contradict something in current canon, or just do something that doesn't make much sense. 400 years isn't that long ago from a Star Wars perspective. Pretty much everything seems well established and old, but part of that might be meta-knowledge.

All I can say for sure is that it will not trump the Clone Wars and Galactic Civil War eras for me. I really hope it's good, though.

One of the interesting things with choosing this time period, is that it doesn't really affect the Clone Wars or Galactic Civil War eras, so it's easy to disregard if you don't like it, whereas something like Rebels (which I liked) has much more potential to bother people given how intertwined it is with the stuff that existed before the Disney takeover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

That was kinda my first reaction, but based on context it might have been referring to diverse locations or diverse stories, both of which are usually good (this may be a bit of a rosy view). Plus, you obviously can write good characters that are also diverse. Arguably, picking a race (different than species, which is something I would love to see more of) is the least important character decision (in Star Wars, at least), and one that is made for every single human character (heck, just roll a die!). When you start into gender quotas, that becomes more of an issue as you lose some freedom with the characters given the differences between genders. However, not even that should matter all that much. The main issue comes when picking a certain gender or race becomes a way to make a point, and ends up obstructing the writing or making poor characters (something many people, including myself, saw as an issue with Rey, whether rightly or wrongly).

While I am not saying that the characters must all fit into gender stereotypes, how many of you have found a female character who is basically just a more shapely guy all that interesting a character? Not necessarily because the character is a woman, but because it is usually a symptom of general poor writing and character development in general.

As for "Relatable" vs. "Interesting" they can be both. The clone troopers or Ahsoka are good example from the Clone Wars. They are interesting characters, and while you haven't had the same experiences as they have (yeah, I doubt you've slugged it out with a droid army while riding on the top of a juggernaut), you can relate to them in other ways. When you look at Luke, you state all his experiences, but there is much more to the character than just his experiences. It's the human condition (yeah, Star Wars, so we need to be more inclusive... "Sentient Condition"?) more than it is the actual events. That said, I'd vote for interesting over relatable.

I think that it is promising, if only from the scattergun approach. If they throw everything at the wall, surely something will stick. I'm particularly interested in the world building, and apprehensively wondering where they'll contradict something in current canon, or just do something that doesn't make much sense. 400 years isn't that long ago from a Star Wars perspective. Pretty much everything seems well established and old, but part of that might be meta-knowledge.

All I can say for sure is that it will not trump the Clone Wars and Galactic Civil War eras for me. I really hope it's good, though.

One of the interesting things with choosing this time period, is that it doesn't really affect the Clone Wars or Galactic Civil War eras, so it's easy to disregard if you don't like it, whereas something like Rebels (which I liked) has much more potential to bother people given how intertwined it is with the stuff that existed before the Disney takeover.

The problem is so often diversity is done for diversities sake. instead of building characters with actual depth.  The problem is putting diversity before story. when you should create interesting stories that have interesting characters. Not trying to check diversity check marks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's not the problem with diversity. The problem with diversity is that we live in a diverse world and certain people think that means they are being put upon and have to accept something they don't want to accept. Guess what? Everyone deserves representation. Why is it so much to ask? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Vek Baustrade said:

That's not the problem with diversity. The problem with diversity is that we live in a diverse world and certain people think that means they are being put upon and have to accept something they don't want to accept. Guess what? Everyone deserves representation. Why is it so much to ask? 

If you are so busiy checking off diversity check boxes instead of taking that time telling a compelling story you have let your art suffer in the name of pushing an agenda. I have seen this happen a lot of times. it invariably results in crappy stories where the author blames people not liking their story on the people not liking diversity instead of the real culprit bad storytelling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arthurian knights defending the frontier of the Wild West against Viking invaders? Why not throw in swashbuckling pirates, Raiders of the Lost Ark, space zombies/vampires, and Homer's Odyssey? The more genres and themes you mix together, the better, right?

Honestly, was this the lesson Disney learned from the success of The Mandalorian -- one of the simplest, most straightforward Star Wars storylines of the past 40 years? There were an awful lot of cooks in the kitchen at Skywalker Ranch...

Edited by NokDrayen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daeglan said:

If you are so busiy checking off diversity check boxes instead of taking that time telling a compelling story you have let your art suffer in the name of pushing an agenda. I have seen this happen a lot of times. it invariably results in crappy stories where the author blames people not liking their story on the people not liking diversity instead of the real culprit bad storytelling. 

What proof do you have at this point that box checking is what's happening here? It seems to me you're assuming that's what is going to happen, but at this point I don't think we even have character names, let alone personalities for any of these characters. Why start off at that point as the basis for your reaction?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vek Baustrade said:

What proof do you have at this point that box checking is what's happening here? It seems to me you're assuming that's what is going to happen, but at this point I don't think we even have character names, let alone personalities for any of these characters. Why start off at that point as the basis for your reaction?

the character is 2 dimension cardboard cut out with no depth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

 

i1ayk0m1vyi41.png

Star Wars The High Republic: Light of the Jedi

The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It’s an energy field created by all living things.

Until. . . .

From Charles Soule

The Wookiee Jedi - his name is Burryaga Agaburry, and he is WONDERFUL.

The lady in front is named Avar Kriss. The other folks have names too, but you’ll meet them later.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

the character is 2 dimension cardboard cut out with no depth. 

If you're referencing the new characters for this new era, I agree, because I've have only seen 2D images of them. Otherwise, I have no idea which character you're referencing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Vek Baustrade said:

If you're referencing the new characters for this new era, I agree, because I've have only seen 2D images of them. Otherwise, I have no idea which character you're referencing.

I'm not referencing a specific character. I am referencing what some writer do today. They will write a character that is there just to say yes I have x type of character in my book. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Daeglan said:

I'm not referencing a specific character. I am referencing what some writer do today. They will write a character that is there just to say yes I have x type of character in my book. 

I would say lack of depth in a character has everything to do with the writing and nothing to do with box-checking. The latter does not necessarily lead to the former. This might just be a bias on your part. It's okay, we all have them. We just need to be aware of them and work past them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kaosoe said:

I would say lack of depth in a character has everything to do with the writing and nothing to do with box-checking. The latter does not necessarily lead to the former. This might just be a bias on your part. It's okay, we all have them. We just need to be aware of them and work past them.

Yes it is poor writing and if the only apparent reason the character exists is because it checks some diversity box it is horrible writing.  And yes I am biased against this kind of writing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Daeglan said:

Yes it is poor writing and if the only apparent reason the character exists is because it checks some diversity box it is horrible writing.  And yes I am biased against this kind of writing.

I guess the question is, how do you know the character only exists for box-checking. It sounds like you dislike flat boring characters. But how the character be less so if they were a different gender, sexuality, race, etc? It all boils down to writing. Making a character a minority does not distract so much that it steals from character depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Daeglan said:

The problem is so often diversity is done for diversities sake. instead of building characters with actual depth.  The problem is putting diversity before story. when you should create interesting stories that have interesting characters. Not trying to check diversity check marks.

Every single last element in a story is being done for the sake of the thing that is being done.

BAd writing is not a diversity issue, it's a bad writing issue. If a story with a lot of diverse characters has bad writing, it would still have bad writing if the entire cast was white, straight dudes.

Edited by micheldebruyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

Every single last element in a story is being done for the sake of the thing that is being done.

BAd writing is not a diversity issue, it's a bad writing issue. If a story with a lot of diverse characters has bad writing, it would still have bad writing if the entire cast was white, straight dudes.

 Agree. I have never had a problem with diversity. I have a problem with bad writing.  But what I see happen a lot is writers in the quest to look inclusive will just include characters that are 2 dimensional cardboard cut outs. But when I point this out I get accused of being anti whatever thing that was added. Instead of recognizing my issue isn't the included thing but the poorly implemented inclusion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...