Sign in to follow this  
Archangelspiv

Train thoughts: Come on FFG.....Carnor Jax....

On 2/26/2020 at 10:12 PM, Jyico said:

How about another route on this since 0-1 bubbles are bad (I agree with that)

I5 Carnor Jax:  2 Force, no recharge.  Force charges start the game on the red side.  Enemy ships declaring Carnor Jax as a defender may not modify dice unless upon declaration they recharge one of Carnor's force charges.  Carnor Jax may spend 2 force tokens when declaring an attack to cause the defender to not modify dice.  

Oh yeah, speakin' my language there. I adore this beautiful design space you've put forward

On 2/26/2020 at 2:12 PM, Jyico said:

I5 Carnor Jax:  2 Force, no recharge.  Force charges start the game on the red side.  Enemy ships declaring Carnor Jax as a defender may not modify dice unless upon declaration they recharge one of Carnor's force charges.  Carnor Jax may spend 2 force tokens when declaring an attack to cause the defender to not modify dice.  

I think this is my favorite suggestion so far 😁

On 2/26/2020 at 4:12 PM, Jyico said:

So how exactly does the ability work? If his Force doesn’t recharge and starts red it never flips up to use. Just give him 2 charges that don’t recharge instead as a 1 time per game schtik 

On 2/26/2020 at 4:12 PM, Jyico said:

I like this, however, this basically makes him Imperial double-reposition Luke, getting force every time he is shot at. Two force with an evade on 3 greens is super strong if Inquisitors have taught us anything, and he wouldn't even need munitions and a lock to get 3 reds like they do. 

Can we just make it regular charges?

14 minutes ago, Ronu said:

So how exactly does the ability work? If his Force doesn’t recharge and starts red it never flips up to use. Just give him 2 charges that don’t recharge instead as a 1 time per game schtik 

Just reading what @jyico wrote, so they can certainly chime in if I'm misreading. What it says is it gains force if the attacker wants to be able to modify their dice. It's a little complicated, but I like the flavor. I agree it could be the exact same ability just with standard charges instead of Force, but that would be almost a blank ability since he gets literally no advantage if the attacker gives him 1 regular charge, whereas if it's force then the attacker actually has something to consider.

16 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

I like this, however, this basically makes him Imperial double-reposition Luke, getting force every time he is shot at. Two force with an evade on 3 greens is super strong if Inquisitors have taught us anything, and he wouldn't even need munitions and a lock to get 3 reds like they do. 

Can we just make it regular charges?

I could also see changing it to "cannot modify [eye] results" to lower the overall power while keeping it a force ability.

I really feel like making it standard charges makes it almost useless because you just don't bother talking off the wall shots and wait for a high quality focus+lock then let him have his standard charge while you roll+mod to 4 hit/crit. If it's force charges you do take those off the wall shots and just say, "no force for you, I have no mods anyways" then when you have that high quality shot you take it, but he is tougher against it... Hmm either way it screws with normal statistics and attack priority.

I think there is a lot of overactive imaginations on this thread, but I guess the fears of 1.0 are haunting the minds of 2.0 players huh?

Well, I still think Jax's ability isn't so d**n NPE, but hey, I can play the game of fear and measured/tentative responses I guess. What if Carnor's ability read: The first time each round an enemy ship at range 0-1 attacks you or defends against your attack, it cannot spend tokens. Crazy powerful at range 1 against enemy ships? Yes. Powerful against a squad? No because that second shot (B-Wings) or that second ship's attack goes through with tokens.

1 hour ago, nitrobenz said:

Just reading what @jyico wrote, so they can certainly chime in if I'm misreading. What it says is it gains force if the attacker wants to be able to modify their dice. It's a little complicated, but I like the flavor. I agree it could be the exact same ability just with standard charges instead of Force, but that would be almost a blank ability since he gets literally no advantage if the attacker gives him 1 regular charge, whereas if it's force then the attacker actually has something to consider.

Exactly that.  Flavor reasons make it interesting.  If you never shoot him, he never gets force charges.  If you do shoot him, and you want to modify dice... he either gets a soft mod on defense (and never uses his other ability) or saves up for his other ability.  Or, just don't modify attack dice and roll natties all the time.  I think it makes him crazy interesting to fly with a lot more decision points, making only a slight modification to current in game mechanics (no recharging force).  This way, he could be really good hunting aces (they shoot before him), or he holds his force between turns to setup a good attack with an equipped Targeting computer/Predator, or is a I5 squint slaughtering swarms. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, clanofwolves said:

I think there is a lot of overactive imaginations on this thread, but I guess the fears of 1.0 are haunting the minds of 2.0 players huh?

Fears are a lot more powerful than actual abilities!  Midnight, for example... I've flown her a few times and she still generates a crap ton of attention the first time you're like "Nope, you can't modify your dice".  I can also guarantee that the turn after that happens my opponent is going all in on her!  Joke is on them, without all the passive mods for her, and with Juke non functional, she's nowhere near as powerful.

Edited by Jyico