Sign in to follow this  
Darth Meanie

Legends Faction: The Imperial Remnant

On 2/23/2020 at 3:50 PM, Darth Meanie said:

In my dream world, FFG keeps XWM fresh by adding 2 new factions: The New Republic and the Imperial Remnant from the SW EU.  Just to kick it around, I'm going to make it my pet project, hopefully with a little help from y'all.

Presenting the Imperial Remnant Faction for X-Wing!!

- - -

And finally introducing the TIE Hunter and the TIE Avenger.  Since it's a new faction, there's plenty of design space to toss these around.

But wait, I'm not FFG so I can spoil the ENTIRE FACTION!

You'll also be able to fly the Skipray Blastboat, I-7 Howlrunner, Chiss Clawcraft, Scimitar Assault Bomber and an IPV 1 Patrol Craft.

I intend to make cards/pilots for everything, just as a way to pass my non-table-X-Wing-hours.  Comments, critiques, and contributions welcome!

I just spent some brain power on Chiss Clawcraft since the company I work for just invested in a 3D printer. I think they probably need the Microthruster chassis ability from the StarViper.

Scimitar Assault Bomber

As it turns out, the Scimitar Assault Bomber is actually more assault than bomber.  It is supposed to feature the best characteristics of a TIE Interceptor and a TIE Bomber, with it's main offensive weapon being racks of missiles.  I tried to split the difference in pilot abilities between bombers and missiles.

For the dial, I'd basically give it a TIE Bomber dial, plus a 5 white straight, and add the boost action.

zSRlMij.jpg

jcdFEWT.jpg1h3B9L3.jpg

OKXkaOZ.jpg2tI7OtH.jpg

KY6Hhcv.jpg

I-7 Howlrunner

Essential, this is the faction's TIE Fighter.  In fact, if the idea weren't to get the faction up and running fast, it could replace the TIE Fighter altogether.   Still, the lore states that the Imperial Remnant uses TIEs, Interceptors, and Bombers quite regularly, since they were readily available.

So, with the I-7, the challenge is to make a TIE Fighter that isn't a TIE Fighter. . .

9xTPzQo.jpgQo0L008.jpg

On 3/4/2020 at 6:29 PM, Darth Meanie said:

Chiss Clawcraft

And lastly (for tonight}, the Chiss Clawcraft.  Essentially a better Squint, now the challenge is to make a better TIE interceptor that isn't broken. . .

jFbK8bQ.jpgKw84CyL.jpg

XJZjg2C.jpgJuPleIA.jpg

While I don't have any suggestions, I'd hoped that the clawcraft would have a slightly different ship ability. I suppose it's not actually necessary, but it's where my mind went.

I like the idea of Jagged having an ability that works like Soontir's. Again, I don't have a suggestion, but would be cool if it was a different ability.

But also, what you've got here works just fine.

Also, lol Fel's Wrath.

What would you envision for those Twilik "Death-seeds"??  those Tie fighters, that had the 3 wings around them on a B-wing like gyroscopic rotating thinggy..?  (The last novel in the X-wing series, Bacta crisis).

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 2:41 PM, LTuser said:

What would you envision for those Twilik "Death-seeds"??  those Tie fighters, that had the 3 wings around them on a B-wing like gyroscopic rotating thinggy..?  (The last novel in the X-wing series, Bacta crisis).

Hmm, I'll give those a look-see.  But for tonight:

TIE/ad Avenger

I did this design for 1.0, and honestly, I really didn't change it much,  It's really just a TIE Adv with more options and better guns.  The "special sauce" is the micro-tractor beam that lets pilots get better shots at close range.  I tought about making it the ship's Unique Ability, but decided to make it a modification as an opportiunity cost of having a pretty sweet secret weapon.

GFyUUwu.jpgjs378FB.jpg

rzXMygJ.jpgHnKgizz.jpg

3QF50ru.jpg

And a slightly meaner version:

JxYQK4J.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 2:41 PM, LTuser said:

Well, let's get ugly.

wI0UitI.jpg

Po9kGIX.jpg4csxZEN.jpg

hwWUVtm.jpgv48TshA.jpg

YQLkIGB.jpgLBD8Cnk.jpg

like, I think I get what you are going for for a lot of those pilot, but you gotta work on them text formatting mate! :P

Most things are usually ''Timing } Condition } Effect''. It also helps to use terms that are rigidly defined in the rules instead of ''casual ''speak so to say.

For Example, for Dodge ''If you perform a barrel roll that brings you into an enemy ship firing arc (...) '' bring you into isn't something that's clearly defined.
Instead, it should be : ''After you perform a [Barrel Roll], if you are in an enemy ship [Firing Arc], gain an evade token.''

Counterstrike has an ability that ask you to remember if you were damaged this turn, which may sound like it's simple to keep track of but with multiple ships in a scrum, all with some damage and stuff, it's easy to forget.
However, charges can also serve as a way to keep track of condition (kinda like a boolean :P

The pilot should probably have a charge that regen each turn, and text that says : '' While you perform an attack, you may spend 1 [Charge]  to roll 1 additional attack die.
After you suffer damage, removes 1 charge.''
(Incidently, this one is exactly a mashup between Wampa, and Stealth Device. It helps to check how things are formatted for similar effect.)

Other than that, Touché has no timing (so someone will definitely try to use his ability during an enemy attack, inbetween two hits, and stuff like that, making it some sort of hyper regen)
Slash is more complicated than it needs to be : Before the neutralize result step, you may spend one charge to change a [Hit] result to a [Crit] result

If you are interested in game design and homebrew, I definitely think it's worth it to take the time to make everything correctly formatted. It makes it easier to understand and also means people will usually be more tempted to try it out because they won't have to ''interpret'' what you meant and can just give it a go.

14 hours ago, DarthSempai said:

like, I think I get what you are going for for a lot of those pilot, but you gotta work on them text formatting mate! :P

If you are interested in game design and homebrew, I definitely think it's worth it to take the time to make everything correctly formatted. It makes it easier to understand and also means people will usually be more tempted to try it out because they won't have to ''interpret'' what you meant and can just give it a go.

I do run these all by my design team.  Both cats always say "Looks great!!  When's dinner??"

Most things are usually ''Timing } Condition } Effect''. It also helps to use terms that are rigidly defined in the rules instead of ''casual ''speak so to say.

Fair enough. . .that's pretty helpful.

For Example, for Dodge ''If you perform a barrel roll that brings you into an enemy ship firing arc (...) '' bring you into isn't something that's clearly defined.
Instead, it should be : ''After you perform a [Barrel Roll], if you are in an enemy ship [Firing Arc], gain an evade token.''

Counterstrike has an ability that ask you to remember if you were damaged this turn, which may sound like it's simple to keep track of but with multiple ships in a scrum, all with some damage and stuff, it's easy to forget.
However, charges can also serve as a way to keep track of condition (kinda like a boolean :P

The pilot should probably have a charge that regen each turn, and text that says : '' While you perform an attack, you may spend 1 [Charge]  to roll 1 additional attack die.
After you suffer damage, removes 1 charge.''
(Incidently, this one is exactly a mashup between Wampa, and Stealth Device. It helps to check how things are formatted for similar effect.)

Other than that, Touché has no timing (so someone will definitely try to use his ability during an enemy attack, inbetween two hits, and stuff like that, making it some sort of hyper regen)
Slash is more complicated than it needs to be : Before the neutralize result step, you may spend one charge to change a [Hit] result to a [Crit] result

Thanks.  I am not adverse to corrective input.  In fact, posting these is sorta the point: they are really alpha-test/brainstormed cards.

I freely admit I am not a rules-heavy tournament player, so some of the timing stuff is a little more confusing to me.  I also don't get to play much (😥) so a lot of this is me getting my XWM energy out.  But it also means that I am a bit less familiar with lingo, templating, and "keywords" that I could be.

OTOH, I do want to create a "quality product," so I do appreciate the corrections and critiques.

On 3/4/2020 at 6:29 PM, Darth Meanie said:

Chiss Clawcraft

And lastly (for tonight}, the Chiss Clawcraft.  Essentially a better Squint, now the challenge is to make a better TIE interceptor that isn't broken. . .

jFbK8bQ.jpgKw84CyL.jpg

XJZjg2C.jpgJuPleIA.jpg

I think you should use the Microthrusters chassis ability from the StarViper on these, not Autothrusters. They aren't even as fast as TIE Fighters, but more maneuverable with wing-mounted control jets.  I'd probably give them a dial similar to the TIE v1 to also reflect this.

Perhaps consider not giving them just the TIE Interceptor's action bar, but change it up, add some linked actions working off the repositions to make it more interesting.

I do like your stat line, though I balked at the 4 hull for a hot minute, but it makes sense. I would maybe consider adding a shield.

20 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

4csxZEN.jpg

Deathtrap: the first time you recieve a face down damage card each turn, roll 1 attack die. if the result is (crit), flip the damage card face up.

The current wording uses "when you are damaged," which in 2e means any time you have at least 1 damage card... which is clearly not the intent of the ability.

Posted (edited)

Corrections:

OX3AdDQ.jpgKcSh7Ju.jpg

Av9AStA.jpgd8C3g1Q.jpg

kDmzWS9.jpgzc22YO8.jpg

yq0YVjq.jpgYJlPDiL.jpg

xtnu2XG.jpg

Slash is more complicated than it needs to be : Before the neutralize result step, you may spend one charge to change a [Hit] result to a [Crit] result.

As far as this goes, Slash is supposed to be more complicated than that.  The idea is that the attacker gets to see the crit result first, and then say, "nah, get another one."

And lastly, I really like @Praetorate of the Empire's suggestion on jazzing up the Clawcraft:

kPPhzdT.jpg

Edited by Darth Meanie

Posted (edited)

TIE Hunter

I actually tried to create this ship back in the days of 1.0, and to be honest, I was still pretty happy with the design.  2.0 lets me assign my old title card right to the chassis, and the idea of configurations gives me a new area to play with in terms of the S-foils.  The main downfall is that this probably pretty solidly a Galactic Empire era design, and really should be created for that faction.  Oh well.

EhdZP31.jpgrAzvfjO.jpg

ealsJtZ.jpg3D1KLdD.jpg

SpJTbre.jpgbNzDoDv.jpg

Edited by Darth Meanie

Dang I didn't realise tie hunter's s-foils folded like that. Now I kinda really want them put in the game.

Neat idea for the ship ability, seems pretty balanced considering the attack dice (I ain't paying attention to the price of the cards when I say that) and distinguishes it quite well from other similar fighters. Though I'm not sure what need there is for the two front arcs printed on the card, the ability should work with just one of them, no?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Prosk_019 said:

. Though I'm not sure what need there is for the two front arcs printed on the card, the ability should work with just one of them, no?

Strange Eons gives you a primary and secondary attack option.  So I just rolled with it. ;)

Although, re-looking at the cards, I maybe should specify you need to attack the same defender twice. . . [?]

Edited by Darth Meanie

8 hours ago, Prosk_019 said:

Dang I didn't realise tie hunter's s-foils folded like that. Now I kinda really want them put in the game.

They don't.

That's another one of FractalSponge's alterations to the honestly not great TIE Hunter design - otherwise known as tie, "TIE Defender for cowards".
Twin blasters, Ion Cannons, torpedoes, shields, hyperdrive, S-Foils, all with wings that small? No damned sense made. But whatever, I'm just here to once again refer to the source material.

9 hours ago, KCDodger said:

They don't.

That's another one of FractalSponge's alterations to the honestly not great TIE Hunter design -

I'm just here to once again refer to the source material.

It's what I could find to illustrate the point.

6 hours ago, Kingsguard said:

Didn't we try having ships that gave stress by attacking in the first edition and it sucked the fun out of the game?

You might check the rules again.  Ion and Stress are not the same thing.

2 hours ago, Prosk_019 said:

I'd sacrifice a few siblings to get some of FractalSponge's designs in x wing, or in star wars in general for that matter

Hello, TIE Mangler!!!!

Image result for tie mangler