Jump to content

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

To me, that thing looks like it would have a greater than 180 degree firing arc. May as well round up instead of down. 

I could see every arc except the front.

I have played the x34 a fair bit and it's main problem is that it dies too fast for its cost. The weapons are too pricey. All ion weapons have been overcosted due to the recover action.

I have not played the t47 since the point change. The GAR and CIS tanks look more thought out than the rebels' so far. ATST and occupier seem to do fine

Edited by buckero0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Breakthrough cared about units being in deployment zones before the end of the game, then yes, speed would be useful.

But since it only cares about turn 6/whenever the game ends, and can't engage your opponent's units to keep them from moving up, getting there sooner isn't significantly more advantageous than a unit which is able to get to the opponent's deployment zone in four to six move actions (Speed 2 moves for infantry are a little over 6 inches by my calculations, most current deployments put the deployment zones 24 inches apart, except Long March which is 36).

Breakthrough also feels like it might be cut more frequently than the other objectives since the advantage goes to the player with more activations (arguably), which may not be the Blue player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caimheul1313 said:

If Breakthrough cared about units being in deployment zones before the end of the game, then yes, speed would be useful.

But since it only cares about turn 6/whenever the game ends, and can't engage your opponent's units to keep them from moving up, getting there sooner isn't significantly more advantageous than a unit which is able to get to the opponent's deployment zone in four to six move actions (Speed 2 moves for infantry are a little over 6 inches by my calculations, most current deployments put the deployment zones 24 inches apart, except Long March which is 36).

Breakthrough also feels like it might be cut more frequently than the other objectives since the advantage goes to the player with more activations (arguably), which may not be the Blue player.

I think it depends on your deployment as well, but the advantage of infiltrate is being able to setup ambushes/harassment of the weakest units in the enemy army. Pick them off, then run for the goal line. As long as you can achieve that, you can present a situation where, if your opponent doesn’t table you, they lose (especially if you are the blue player and win ties).
edit: Wrong thread, bleh. 

The tactic for the T-47 would be somewhat similar, delete the least difficult units, until you have a numbers advantage, then harass until the clock runs out. Sure, your opponent could spend all their actions trying to move up, but on most maps they’ll be exposed at some point, and a fast unit can take advantage of that. 

Edited by Derrault

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Derrault said:

I think it depends on your deployment as well, but the advantage of infiltrate is being able to setup ambushes/harassment of the weakest units in the enemy army. Pick them off, then run for the goal line. As long as you can achieve that, you can present a situation where, if your opponent doesn’t table you, they lose (especially if you are the blue player and win ties). 

Um, what? I think you have the wrong thread...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, buckero0 said:

I have played the x34 a fair bit and it's main problem is that it dies too fast for its cost. The weapons are too pricey. All ion weapons have been overcosted due to the recover action.

I have not played the t47 since the point change. The GAR and CIS tanks look more thought out than the rebels' so far. ATST and occupier seem to do fine

Agree with all this here. X34 at least has a dozen different ways to configure it going for it. While it does not make it good, it at least makes it interesting. 

They have two problems that the X-34 & T-47 share. One is that they are slightly overcosted ( or a failed gimmick). The other is that all heavies (so far) have failed in a game that caters to unit padding and objectives. The x34 needs some love, but it gets overshaowed by the running joke of the T-47. The Empire heavies are good, but I would not cry if they went down in points or if we get a lot more vehicles missions to help them all out. Really interesting to see if the Clone War tanks will change the game at all.

Makes me lean into FFG releasing a really great Rebel pilot to fix them both as the same time and without them having to change really anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RyantheFett said:

 

Makes me lean into FFG releasing a really great Rebel pilot to fix them both as the same time and without them having to change really anything.

I don't care for this type of fix because it negates the other pilots

I'd prefer different weapons or similar weapons at better price points. How many versions of the DLT do we have now? If there was a landspeeder specific ion cannon or black dice cannon i could use one if those instead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, buckero0 said:

I don't care for this type of fix because it negates the other pilots

I'd prefer different weapons or similar weapons at better price points. How many versions of the DLT do we have now? If there was a landspeeder specific ion cannon or black dice cannon i could use one if those instead

Did you mean Airspeeder specific? (The landspeeder already has the M-45 and Mark II; and the airspeeder has the ground buzzer for a black dice cannon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derrault said:

Did you mean Airspeeder specific? (The landspeeder already has the M-45 and Mark II; and the airspeeder has the ground buzzer for a black dice cannon. 

I meant for a fix. They could release a 28pt weapon or something which would be cheaper than the 38pt weapon that exhausts. I could still take my jockey or any new pilots they released and fly my landspeeder cheaper. I don't have to get a new model either if the weapon is a variation of one that the model already came with

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, buckero0 said:

I meant for a fix. They could release a 28pt weapon or something which would be cheaper than the 38pt weapon that exhausts. I could still take my jockey or any new pilots they released and fly my landspeeder cheaper. I don't have to get a new model either if the weapon is a variation of one that the model already came with

Why wouldn’t they just reduce the cost of the Mark II or M-45, or the X-34 itself instead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only fix for the T47 would be to give it red defense dice.  That's it, the only issue is has is how easy it is to kill due to all the eady crits out there.  Red defensive dice with it's surge defense would be the quickest fix for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big k said:

My only fix for the T47 would be to give it red defense dice.  That's it, the only issue is has is how easy it is to kill due to all the eady crits out there.  Red defensive dice with it's surge defense would be the quickest fix for it.

I don't know if going from 2/6 sides having successes to 3/6 sides would make that big of a difference. I think its largest issue is lack of firepower (averages less than 2 dead Stormtroopers per turn for almost a quarter of your list).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arnoldrew said:

I don't know if going from 2/6 sides having successes to 3/6 sides would make that big of a difference. I think its largest issue is lack of firepower (averages less than 2 dead Stormtroopers per turn for almost a quarter of your list).

With surge would be 4/6, which sounds pretty crazy on a unit with armor and up to cover 2. You’d pretty much have to have sharpshooter 2 and impact, and pierce to endanger it at that point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Derrault said:

You’d pretty much have to have sharpshooter 2 and impact, and pierce to endanger it at that point. 

Good. It should be able to ignore pretty much every gun on the Legion field, considering it had any survivability at all when shot by an AT-AT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2/29/2020 at 7:10 AM, Derrault said:

Why wouldn’t they just reduce the cost of the Mark II or M-45, or the X-34 itself instead?

They could do that. I hate that there are a dozen cards with the wrong value on them already.

If they make the chasis much cheaper, i could see using them as mobile cover or missles with Luke or R2 loaded in them

Edited by buckero0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'm convinced. I definitely need a 2nd T47...

Has anyone had any luck using fire support from the veteran medium blaster? The airspeeder should be able to circumvent cover in many situations and an extra 4 dice with crit 2 should help. It's getting in range 3 and LoS of the blaster that I expect to be the issue.

A LoS ignoring mortar would probably work better but doesn't fit the Hoth/Alliance theme as well, though their use would be logical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Katarn said:

Well, I'm convinced. I definitely need a 2nd T47...

Has anyone had any luck using fire support from the veteran medium blaster? The airspeeder should be able to circumvent cover in many situations and an extra 4 dice with crit 2 should help. It's getting in range 3 and LoS of the blaster that I expect to be the issue.

A LoS ignoring mortar would probably work better but doesn't fit the Hoth/Alliance theme as well, though their use would be logical.

I got off a Fire-Supported attack with the Airspeeder once. However, I rolled a pitiful number of hits and crits (no surges...) and then hist tank blocked every single one. It gave both of us the bad feels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Katarn said:

Well, I'm convinced. I definitely need a 2nd T47...

Has anyone had any luck using fire support from the veteran medium blaster? The airspeeder should be able to circumvent cover in many situations and an extra 4 dice with crit 2 should help. It's getting in range 3 and LoS of the blaster that I expect to be the issue.

A LoS ignoring mortar would probably work better but doesn't fit the Hoth/Alliance theme as well, though their use would be logical.

I do not think this is a very good combination. Potentially getting off a shot without cover is not bad of course, but it will often leave you in a  bad situation. Lists with T-47s allready have to make compromises in terms of activations and raw firepower, and the Mark 2 generally does not perform well in prolonged shootouts:

1. Cumbersome means you will usually loose an attack action just by moving in position. It also means you cannot shoot and move out of sight.

2. Low health and bad defence dice make it very tempting and easy for the opponent  to get rid of the activation, especially when you fire support early in the activation phase. The Mark 2 does not like to sit in front of the enemy army with a facedown order token for a long time.

In the context of rebel lists, Fire Support is a rather situational tool that should be used in a defensive situation. It is good when you need burst damage, for example when you have one last attack action before Tauntauns or something like that hit your line.  

In all other situations, I think it is usually better to not loose the activation and keep the Mark 2 out of range or sight, at least during the first turns. I find it hard to find a place for the Mark 2, especially after the changes to comms relais though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny enough Notorious Scoundrels also talked a bit about the T-47 and Wedge in the beginning of their latest episode. They bring up a good point that the gimmick of the T-47 gets punished in this game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Wedge errata card should probably have lost the exhaust symbol or had Cycle added.

Also pointed out on the podcast. The introduction of Critical X to a lot of units makes the Jockey upgrade for Cover 2 worthless. With white defense dice the Airspeeder should have a better way of dodging natural crits and critical x.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, HOBOBOI said:

The Wedge errata card should probably have lost the exhaust symbol or had Cycle added.

Also pointed out on the podcast. The introduction of Critical X to a lot of units makes the Jockey upgrade for Cover 2 worthless. With white defense dice the Airspeeder should have a better way of dodging natural crits and critical x.

You are vastly overestimating the effectiveness of Critical X if you think it makes Cover 2 "worthless". You do know there's only 1 surge symbol on each die, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, HOBOBOI said:

With white defense dice the Airspeeder should have a better way of dodging natural crits and critical x.

What about giving Speeder X essentially the same ability as Danger Sense, so speeders can roll X additional defense dice. This gives a decent defense boost to the T-47 and the BARC (arguably the two speeders that need the most help), and a small boost to speeder bikes and the X-34.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

You are vastly overestimating the effectiveness of Critical X if you think it makes Cover 2 "worthless". You do know there's only 1 surge symbol on each die, right?

Unless the attacker has Critical X and Impact X (and there aren't very many of those), Critical X does not give a single hoot about cover if the defender has full Armor. True, it's certainly not as reliable against armor as Impact, but it is reliable (and common) enough that it can definitely bring down armored targets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lochlan said:

What about giving Speeder X essentially the same ability as Danger Sense, so speeders can roll X additional defense dice. This gives a decent defense boost to the T-47 and the BARC (arguably the two speeders that need the most help), and a small boost to speeder bikes and the X-34.

I like this idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...