Karnage1992

Having trouble with Snowtroopers.

Struggling to find a use for my Snowtroopers between their slow movement and high cost I can't see me ever using them over basic Stormtroopers.

How do you use yours? Any tips on how to maximise their effectiveness, or are they relegated to being just a thematic choice?

The low movement is mitigated by Steady. 2 speed-1 moves is faster than 1 speed-2 move, so if a unit of Stormtroopers and a unit of Snowtroopers do nothing but move and shoot, the Snowtrooper unit has moved further. Plus, with the errata to the ion gun, the Snowtroopers can now Recover-Move-Shoot with a range-3 heavy weapon every turn. They aren't as cuthroat efficient as either of the other 2 Imperial Corps options, but they certainly aren't terrible.

Also, keep in mind that if you opponent has a lot of infantry and you deploy a Snowtrooper unit with a flamethrower correctly, they are basically forced to focus-fire it, leaving the rest of your army to run rampant. Just becasue the flamethrower unit didn't get to fire doesn't mean they werent effective.

Edited by arnoldrew

I would always run them with the flamethrower. Then take your time advancing them up the field making sure they are always behind cover. If u pull it off right youll get a hit or to in with the flamer

15 minutes ago, Jabby said:

I love using them. Flamethrower + impact grenades gives them a lot of punch. You could try what I like to call “meerkating” where you hide them behind cover/out of los then pop them out to shoot with steady then move back into cover/out of los

This is a great strategy with the Snowtroopers as you give your opponent no chance to retaliate for that attack. I've done it and also have faced it and is veeeeeeery annoying.

Also the flametrooper as mentioned. If you manage to make at least 1 attack against an opponent unit with many minis, you have a really high chance to decimate it.

Edited by Lemmiwinks86

I like my snows. They’re great for “can’t ignore this” targets, letting your other forces operate effectively. I like to toss an imperial officer for the boost to courage and inspire the other snow.

with flamers they’re devastating in close quarters. 

30 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

I use 6 squads of them every time I play Imperials. In any situation but moving twice, that free attack makes them faster than ordinary stormtroopers. 

True, but comparatively useless against single targets (and especially anything with armor). 

1 hour ago, Caimheul1313 said:

I've also found them to be good targets for "Pulling the Strings" since the free move action triggers Steady, giving me both an additional move and attack with the Snowtroopers.

This is a good point, and if you use their activation first they can aim or dodge and then Emps can make them attack.

2 hours ago, Jabby said:

I love using them. Flamethrower + impact grenades gives them a lot of punch. You could try what I like to call “meerkating” where you hide them behind cover/out of los then pop them out to shoot with steady then move back into cover/out of los

White dice and no aim token is a bit of a gamble meaning that the flametrooper is doing all the work.

Worth trying out though 🤔

1 hour ago, Derrault said:

True, but comparatively useless against single targets (and especially anything with armor). 

Grenades can fix this real quick.  Their main weakness is just that getting to range 1 is tough without a properly dense board.

2 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Taking this guy
DT-F16.png

In a DT unit nearby can make them pretty amusing when rushing an enemy with flamers. 

I think you're better off giving them the officer for 2 points less.  The "extra" action they get from not being Suppressed is better than a move from Compel that gives another suppression.

2 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

I think you're better off giving them the officer for 2 points less.  The "extra" action they get from not being Suppressed is better than a move from Compel that gives another suppression.

Probably, I just love running DTs aggressive lol

I also found them very useful as a defensive unit especially when they can make use of shotblockers. Saved me at the last breakthrough game, they shut down a pathway nearly all alone 

13 minutes ago, Vode said:

I also found them very useful as a defensive unit especially when they can make use of shotblockers. Saved me at the last breakthrough game, they shut down a pathway nearly all alone 

What are shotblockers? I've never heard of such a thing.

Terrain that completely blocks line of sight, or was declared that no attack can be made through it. Essentially I parked the snowtroopers behind high crates, and used the move, shoot, move method.

6 hours ago, Karnage1992 said:

This is a good point, and if you use their activation first they can aim or dodge and then Emps can make them attack.

White dice and no aim token is a bit of a gamble meaning that the flametrooper is doing all the work.

Worth trying out though 🤔

Aim. Walk. Shoot for free. 

7 hours ago, LunarSol said:

Grenades can fix this real quick.  Their main weakness is just that getting to range 1 is tough without a properly dense board.

I guess? It seems like a win if I can make you pay 30 points to possibly head off the situation, or risk getting steamrolled if you ended up bringing a knife to a flamer fight. 

edit: 30 points if you spend to put 6 of them across 6 corps. 

Edited by Derrault

11 hours ago, Karnage1992 said:

Struggling to find a use for my Snowtroopers between their slow movement and high cost I can't see me ever using them over basic Stormtroopers.

How do you use yours? Any tips on how to maximise their effectiveness, or are they relegated to being just a thematic choice?

Flamethrower, Frag Grenades. Put them in a tank. Drive up. Kill. Maim. Burn. 

Flamer Snowtroopers are in a rough spot right now in the competitive scene. There is very little reason to take them over a shoretrooper with the T21b.

They cost about the same and the shoretrooper can usually attack 2 to 3 times more than a Snowtrooper, assuming the Snowtrooper gets an attack. Flamer Snows are easy to avoid.

Super fun to play, but there's a reason you never see any at the top tables in any sizable event. Shoretroopers are better in pretty much every way, and their dice are about the same as a Flamer Snowtrooper, and they can fire more often.

Snowtroopers are in dire need of a Snowtrooper upgrade pack.

Yea they are a weird unit, the flame thrower is always so enticing but when it gets in range unless you are attacking a decently sized squad it could easily be 3b and 3w with blast.  Not exciting if it takes you range 1 to get there.  

The ion weapon I have found to be better but they overall are a average unit.