Stagsquad13

Avenger - life after Kylo

Let me start by saying that I think Kylo is an amazing ship. He’s been in every tournament list I’ve had for over 12 months, and in that time I’ve been very consistent. Most of my wins he’s earned. Despite this, I’ve felt a limitation to my performance with Kylo. He is the list, and opponents know it. His cost is prohibitive and leaves the rest of the list often underwhelming. Another 3-3 run at the U.K. SO convinced me that I needed to try something else. For context, I have now won 3 games in 6 straight tournament, but have not made a cut or won an event. Consistent, but unable to ‘break the ceiling’. 
The logical shift was to a higher ship count, and a list with less obvious target priority for my opponent. I had seen 5 ship FO lists succeed, most notably Old Paras Avenger swarm, so I thought that was a good place to start. 
This is the list;

Avenger w/ fanatical & advanced proton torps.

Holo w/ proud tradition 

TN-346

2 x Zeta Squadron Pilots 

How it works: 

There’s tough choices for the opponent here. Holo is the closer but will be played conservatively with ample protection in front and expendable ships to pass red tokens to. Tina will be offered up and the crit mechanic can cripple a ship. Avenger is dangerous but the VN chassis is tanky. The APTs can swing games if Avenger can lock and boost/roll in the engagement phase. 

Adaptations:

Tina and the Zetas could easily be three cadets, or two and Rivas. I can’t decide how valuable Tina’s ability is. 
Taking the APTs off Avenger is an option. If I do go to three cadets I can even put proton torps on him, which would be easier to use. Rush or even Blackout can fit in this slot but Avenger feels right to capitalise on the expendable FOs deaths. 

I think there’s something there. I’m two games in, 1-1. Any experience with these ships anyone could add to help me hone the list would be gratefully appreciated. 

Yep I think that’s legitimate. I thought the same, BUT in both my test games, Avenger’s ability was really clutch. If we assume Tina dies quickly, it will trigger. For context, I was able to remove Kylo with the APTs in one game and cripple Cassian in the other. That has cooled my excitement for Rush. Though perhaps he could replace Holo? 

2 minutes ago, Stagsquad13 said:

Yep I think that’s legitimate. I thought the same, BUT in both my test games, Avenger’s ability was really clutch. If we assume Tina dies quickly, it will trigger. For context, I was able to remove Kylo with the APTs in one game and cripple Cassian in the other. That has cooled my excitement for Rush. Though perhaps he could replace Holo? 

I think Holo is vital to the list, being able to pass a token to a ship in need at the best time. But give it a try to see

4 hours ago, Stagsquad13 said:

I think you’re right. Holo has been a really pleasant surprise. So much better than Vonreg which I wasn’t expecting 

It's all in the timing of the ability. If Vonreg was at the start of engagement then he'd be like 4-10pts more, a double modded Wedge every turn.... 

3 hours ago, Deffly said:

It's all in the timing of the ability. If Vonreg was at the start of engagement then he'd be like 4-10pts more, a double modded Wedge every turn.... 

Yeah I often forget that Vonreg trigger due to the weird timing :( BUT Vonreg is important in Hyperspace to out - Init the Bobas and all the other I5's in HS.

I'm going to try this. 

Avenger

Scorch+Fanatical

Muse+Proud Trad. +Advanced Optics

2x zeta squad survivors + Optics

Muse comes in at the same price as the zeta's but with Optics and Proud Trad, she should be a pain in the *** to deal with. Zetas with turrets provide a bit of fang insurance. Scorch adds a second three dice ship. Avenger is bait until things start dying.