Antimarkovnikov

Cycle VI: The Innsmouth Conspiracy

1 hour ago, Mburnaugh64 said:

And again Welcome! It’s an amazing game and I hope you enjoy every grueling minute whether you die or not! 

As for buying cycles...I buy everything, I’m sooo addicted!!!! 😳😳 and Barkham Horror is on the way to me!!! 

thank you!  and yes, i am dying constantly as i learn the game, but death is apparently like heroin at the moment.

and i totally gave in and ordered Barkham yesterday too, so i'll have it on Tuesday! XD

On 9/18/2020 at 6:53 AM, Soakman said:

Yeah. It would be hard to future proof that system though. They would have needed to have foreseen that those particular traits were going to be used and written them into the assets. It would have been somewhat predictable to at least trait light sources though (if not compasses, pickaxes, et). They seem to be relevant in a lot of the other Arkham Files games. But it's the kind of thing that you can't easily do retroactively. 

The other thing is that there apparently are a lot of cards that were designed prior to the cycles and it was a matter of trying to figure out what mythos packs to put them in. This is going to make you cringe, but I'm designing a scenario now that requires the use of flashlights. It's nearly impossible for me to do it in a way (without a lightsource trait) that is not fiddly or requires consorting some kind of list. So you can only use a flashlight. Why can't you use a lantern? No good reason. You just can't. My reason is because then you're going to have someone at the table arguing that their arcane insight should let them see in the dark or whatever and count as a light source. And I don't want to make a list to refer to because it would make things both fiddly and would not remain accurate as they add cards.

In other words, they missed the boat on the trait and I can't think of another good way to handle it. I agree it is not clean and is extra annoying considering the supplies situation in FA, but it is what it is I guess.

Ah, but I think you have done a good job of taking care of that. Flashlights are a mundane source of light. It’s pretty clear that magical sources of light won’t do. I would say that the only other thing that could be argued for is another source of mundane light like maybe Lantern. 

Yeah, the supply mechanic as I’ve said, doesn’t bug me too much. It’s the lack of re-playability that bothers me. Because of the interludes, you kind of know what is critical after the first play-through. I kind of wish they had added a way to randomly get a supply. Kind of like with the Blob. At the beginning of getting supplies each investigator pulls a token from the chaos bag. Each token represents a different supply. You may get something great or not so great! Afterwards, spend whatever points they determine you get. At least then it has something out of your control involved for replay-ability. 
It seems like they tried to fix it, but it was so permanently set in the original scenario, it would be hard to make any massive changes. They have added more things that use supplies, so that’s good! 

Edited by Mimi61

49 minutes ago, Mimi61 said:

I’m so sorry. We haven’t had time to re-play your scenario! We will this coming week if it’s not too late.

It's absolutely not too late! But don't be sorry, I'm just thankful to have any playtesters at all. It makes them so much better for others when they first get to play. 

On 9/18/2020 at 6:16 PM, Soakman said:
On 9/18/2020 at 5:42 PM, Daedalus said:

Eh... just because a card is in your deck, it doesn't mean you have it on you all the time.  Otherwise we'd be playing every game with all of our assets already in play from the start.  I personally see cards in the deck as assets or events that we encounter along the way and make use of temporarily.  Building our decks allows us to have influence over how our story unfolds, but it doesn't mean that I'm wandering around with a pair of flashlights, half a dozen different weapons, and several followers, all of which I decide to only use occasionally while the future of humanity is at stake.

We do this too. In one of my most recent adventures, I scored a Rotting Remains in the Jungle and then drew (and promptly played) a backpack with an emergency cache, a survival knife, and a cigarette case in it. We all assumed these were the belongings of th

Oh, I know, we absolutely do too. Your allies gave you valuable aid earlier, they didn't just shot up, etc.

But we literally had a situation where we had a lantern and two flashlights on the table (as a group), but were lacking light sources in the Forgotten Age, and it was super annoying.

On 9/21/2020 at 10:53 AM, Eldan985 said:

Oh, I know, we absolutely do too. Your allies gave you valuable aid earlier, they didn't just shot up, etc.

But we literally had a situation where we had a lantern and two flashlights on the table (as a group), but were lacking light sources in the Forgotten Age, and it was super annoying.

I know what you mean now.  I'm playing through TFA again now, and I had completely forgotten there are situations in the middle of scenario where you need certain supplies.  I was only remembering the cases between scenarios.

All the cards are up on CardGameDB.com

"Inspired by the events of Arkham Nights 2018."  This should be the fallout of our playthroughs of Guardians of the Abyss during AN'18.  (P.S. My group did not help the cause.  Sorry. 😉)  I believe there were 3 options for which weakness we "earned" as a result.  Day of Reckoning

From https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/10/12/gods-and-monsters/:

• "The results that players obtain at Arkham Nights 2018 will affect all players of Arkham Horror: The Card Game, adding one of three possible basic weaknesses to a future scenario."

AHC52_40.jpg

ahc27_box.png

23 minutes ago, Eldan985 said:

So what's the story there? You lost really badly? Or what exactly does the card depict, and how did you do?

Horribly.  We were able to get to the Gate of the Abyss before the last Doom was placed.  We continued (but claimed our previous defeat) until we were ultimately wiped out.  We were unable to accomplish any further advancement of the mission.

I think the players as a whole did not do terribly well.  Maybe a hundred plus investigators/characters fell into the abyss/sleep?  (Am I remembering that right?)

30 minutes ago, CaffeineAddict said:

Just played the first scenario of innsmouth - am I misreading the rules, or can you not spend XP between scenario 1 and 2?

I believe you basically can, as you're instructed after the intro of scenario 2 to spend your unspent xp.

I think that this isn't always going to be the case though as some of the scenarios are flashbacks. I'm not really sure how they're going to implement that if that's why they're being so odd about when you spend xp.

How long does it usually take for FFG to post the rules and campaign log for new expansions.  I was hoping it would be posted the day of release.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, dpj1967 said:

How long does it usually take for FFG to post the rules and campaign log for new expansions.  I was hoping it would be posted the day of release.

It occasionally has been in the past, but they were starting to slip on it even before the pandemic.  Now...  <shrug>  Blob took around two months, and we're still waiting on Return to the Forgotten Age right at two months since release.  Which honestly isn't bad, some of the PDFs on the LOTR packs ran to well over a year.

Edited to add: If there's one silver lining here it's that when they do add them, they tend to catch up on everything.  So it may not be two more months until we see Innsmouth.  But that's more optimistic than I really feel about it, honestly.  FFG's downright pathetic when it comes to the digital side of their games, even on something as trivial as posting a PDF.

Edited by Buhallin

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, dpj1967 said:

The most recent example I have is the pdfs for the Marvel Champions Rise of Red Skull expansion, which went up two-and-a-half weeks after the release.

MJ Newman has said that there will be an update to the FAQ before the first mythos pack of the cycle releases. It wouldn't surprise me if the rules and campaign log went up at the same time.

Edited by Assussanni

22 hours ago, dpj1967 said:

We're also waiting on the Investigators deck lists...

On 9/29/2020 at 2:19 PM, Allonym said:

Man, I love Day of Reckoning. It seems super mild, especially solo, but the art and the mechanical concept are both amazing.

Any hot takes on the new Innsmouth player cards? 

6 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

Any hot takes on the new Innsmouth player cards? 

I'm still completely intimidated by the idea of doing hot takes for the investigator decks! But maybe Innsmouth would be a little less daunting...