Sign in to follow this  
sasska

Trip to Wien for the prime

Hi guys!

Last weekend I and a few fellow admirals visited Wien for the Prime. We thought it's time to attend a bigger event. Well we haven't regretted it! It was AWESOME. The guys there were super nice and helpful, and there was even a Swiss admiral. So what I brought: 

Name: Thornmail Fleet
Faction: Rebel
Commander: Admiral Ackbar

Assault: Most Wanted
Defense: Asteroid Tactics
Navigation: Infested Fields

Assault Frigate Mk2 B (72)
• Admiral Ackbar (38)
• Intel Officer (7)
• Caitken and Shollan (6)
• Electronic Countermeasures (7)
• Slaved Turrets (6)
= 136 Points

MC30c Scout Frigate (69)
• Expert Shield Tech (5)
• External Racks (3)
• Turbolaser Reroute Circuits (7)
• Admonition (8)
= 92 Points

MC30c Scout Frigate (69)
• Expert Shield Tech (5)
• External Racks (3)
• Turbolaser Reroute Circuits (7)
• Foresight (8)
= 92 Points

GR-75 Medium Transports (18)
• Comms Net (2)
= 20 Points

Squadrons:
• Lando Calrissian (23)
• Shara Bey (17)
• Tycho Celchu (16)
= 56 Points

Total Points: 396

Well the name doesn't fit anymore. An earlier version contained cluster bombs, that's why the name. Well this is super fun for me to fly. and has nice long ranged medium/high consistent damage output. It is also good against onager lists because of the evades and nice maneuver patterns paired with broadsides. (PS: I use "she"/"her" nominating the ships)

Game 1:

I played the first game against @RapidReload's brother, who had an onager (Long ignition, vet gunners, Miss Blonde, SA, Cataclysm and maybe a support team/turbolaser), an ISD Kuat (ACM, Reeva, Local Fire Control, ECM, LS) and a Raider (Thrawn, Hondo, Corvus) + 2 Gozantis, No Squads. He elected to be first player, so we played Asteroid Tactics. He clearly had more deployments to play with, so I tried to deploy neutral in the center. He deployed in his left corner (left from my side) with the Raider at the very corner with speed 1,  the ISD in the middle with 2/3 and the Cataclysm closest to me with speed 1.  I have a picture at the beginning of turn 2/3, you can see how we deployed on that. Admo was Foresight was closer to him, and I wasn't sure, whether he will go after her or after the main force, so I turned it very conservatively away from the middle, along with my player edge. The two other ships wemt straight in to the middle with broadsides to the enemy. Foresight was kinda gone, Havent been able to turn her back to the fight, firing only once, at the life boat at long range. The others tanked a few shots from the Cataclysm at extreme-long range with ease, those evades are simply hilarious. 4 red, 2 removed, well, this wont do significant damage. Meanwhile as the result of hard turning to its starboard, the kuat ended up on an asteroid field. Poor ship got a Compartment Fire ("You cannot ready your defense tokens")(Hi Reeva). My flagship managed a long shot at the Kuat, having about 6 damage if i recall right (maybe it was 7?), and my opponent decided to discard the Intel officered brace because he thought he can recover it later. Lando bombarded she as well. After exchanging some fire, the Assault Frigate blew up the Kuat, but with the salvo she managed to grab the frigate with her. I positioned Admo and the GR-75 so they blocked a gozanti from leaving, so i managed to get the kill on her as well. However in the desperate fight Lando was shot down by the Kuat, so all in all I lost the flagship + Lando, and he lost the Kuat, and a comms net Goz. 4 MoV for me, 6-5. (Fun fact: a lot of us got something similar result, @Rimsen got 11 MoV, and an other guy has 24 points of MoV as well. And according to @RapidReload's report, i'm sure we weren't the only ones.)

Game 2:

ISD2 (gunnery team, LTT, Jerry, LS, ECM, Avenger and some kind of officer, maybe SA), Onager TB (Miss Blonde, Long ignition, Vet gunners(im not sure),  Palp (officer version), Cataclysm), gladi (Demolisher, APT, and OE if I recall it right), and a comms net goz ofc. I elected to be first player, and we played his Fleet Ambush. This negated his deployment disadvantage, and I placed the 2 Scout Frigates in the ambush zone, in a somewhat aggressive fashion. The admo with its stern to the enemy, and the Foresight horizontally. He deployed on his right but not too far. ISD in the middle of the field, behind Admo, Cataclysm somewhat in the corner but not too far, and Demo in the corner. They were at the middle roughly, and only Cataclysm was able to shoot at round 1. Foresight easily mitigated the damage (THREE dice cancelled with an evade?! and the left over hit got reduced to 0 with expert shield techs. Felt sooo good :D )He had Jerry so we started a bit of a dance. The onager had some shots, but nothing meaningful, it's easy to avoid it's front with these ships. The ISD and the AF dancing, only the AF got good angle, but only later. Demo jumped on Foresight, but only shooting from her bow at the stern. No APTs fortunately, only a few damage to the shields. Next turn Foresight unloaded its payload on her nemesis, TRC the one red die to a double. Lot of damage was the result. Then scoot away with 4, never looking back. The AF had a nice long shot on Demo as well, leaving her at no shields, only a few damage from death. Lando and maybe one of the A-wings had a shot at the wounded destroyer, but she survived. Next turn I made a big mistake. The AF had some shields left, but not much, and was outside of the ISD. I didnt wanted to waste her onlu shot at a more-dead-than-healthy Demo, and activated another ship instead, armored with the knowledge my opponent cant kill, nor meaningfully damage the assault frigate. But I forgot one thing. Her name is Demolisher. (Learn from my mistake mates, always keep an eye on that cheeky little bastard, or she will ruin your day) She came in, unleashed **** upon the poor space whale. It survived, but no chance to survive one more shot. So I activated her. Well I can't recall everything, but a turn before this one, I had a shot on the ISD at medium range with a CF. 11 damage, intelling the brace. Of course my opponent discarded it. And this turn, after the demo shot, I got lucky again. 11 damage. this time no brace was available. The big boy survived the attack with 2-3 hull left. The assault frigate went down next, Foresight and Admo was far to finish the ISD, my opponent maneuvered well. His Demo ended up at the side of Admonition. who successfully killed the beast, but she already did her job. The ISD had a few repairs, and lando wasn't able to finish her. The GR-75 died earlier, so the A-wings had no chance to kill the beast. I lost Lando, and the AF. My opponent lost the Demo. it was 83 MoV for him. 7-4 in his favor. (My opponent (Chris) nicknamed my list "Andras Sandwich" because the long ranged threats was really hard to avoid. He was a very nice dude to play with)

Game 3:

Well. It was a Sloane phantom list, with an interdictor (grav shift, G8, Engineering team, Proxy mines, title, gherant, and other stuff as well), a VSD-I (flight controllers, Sloane, Flight commander, expanded hangar bay, maybe harrow with fighter coordination team, not sure on turbolasers/ordnance) and a goz. Plus 3 phantoms, Whisper, Marek, Jendon, Rhymer, Zertik. And a Titus somewhere. He had the same bid as me. We rolled a six sided die, he rolled 2, and I 1. He elected to be second player. I wasn't happy, I included asteriod tactics and infested fields against squadrons. But whatever. I chose mine fields, greatly underestimating its power with a grav shift dictor. He locked down the center. I thought I will be smart and deploy right here, assuming i can jump the mines. Spolier, I was wrong. After deployment (which you can see on one of the pictures) I realized that its not whether I win or not. It's how much points I can save. The transport cleared 2 mines, but costed her life. Before her death, he passed a nav to Foresight (which was slowed down by Titus), so she can maybe manage to sneak away. The AF triggered 2 mines as well. Admo evaded them successfully. On turn 2 Lando got vaporized. Shara and Tycho got locked down. Tycho got focused next, then my opponent completely ignored Shara, only engaging her with Zertik. I tried to achive something, so flew the AF right into the fight, hoping I can kill the Dictor. The Interdictor however, only got engineering commands, camped the station, and my cruisers were too far away because of the mine dodging. AF died soon enough, Admo followed her a turn later. Shara died in the end as well. Foresight was on course to fly off the map. Fortunately I had one trick in my sleeves. She was like 3-5 mm-s from the border, with her face toward it. No way she can survive. Except a speed 0 maneuver, and so I did, hoping she is outside of the fighters range. She was luckily, but it didnt matter. 304-0. 10-1. I failed to realize the trap, so I payed the cost with lives of my crew. My opponent was a super nice guy by the way, and though the game was a little bit one sided, I wasn't angry or disappointed or whatever after the first couple of minutes. 

Overall I got 14th, but it was a cool day regardless. Really hope that we can get to Vienna in the near future, you guys were AWESOME. 

Pictures: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W8DU17XVJcobjxKvuU0eUKiEc6bCW4fy

Edited by sasska
Pictures forgotten