Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
stootchmaster

MATH QUESTION!

Recommended Posts

Has anyone ever gone to the trouble to find out how many possible combinations of ships, pilots, and upgrades there are in this game?

I was wondering this after reading about the massive amount of effort put into discovering that some dice DO roll better than others. . .

 

Edited by stootchmaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arnoldrew said:

Next, time, please just put a summary of what your question is in the title instead of just the word "QUESTION." Thank you!

Apologies.  I guess I thought since text comes up when you hover over the title link, I could just be an inconsiderate $%#@& and forget all forum protocol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably no one has figured it out, since there isn't much of a value to figuring it out.  Knowing about the dice has potential use, but the combinatorics of X-Wing ship/pilot/upgrades is a lot less handy.

Anyhow...

Here's one ship: the B-Wing:

4 Pilots with Talent Slots (and one without); 16-17 Talent options (S-Foils allow Saturation Salvo); 6 Sensors; 5 Torpedoes; 2 Configuration; 11 Modification; (6 * 5 / 2 +1 = 16) Canon possibilities (for each option on the first cannon slot--6--you have 5 options for the 2nd slot, since you can't equip two of the same cannon, and order is irrelevant, so we need to divide by 2, but we also need to add back in the double-empty option).

Non-S-Foils With Talent Slot (4*16*6*5*11*16) + S-Foils With Talent Slot (4*17*6*5*11*16) +  No Talent Slot (6*5*2*11*16) =  337920 + 359040 + 10560 = 707520 B-Wing Combinations.  Almost three quarters of a million options, for just the B-Wing.

Edited by theBitterFig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

 

707520 B-Wing Combinations.  Almost three quarters of a million options, for just the B-Wing.

Holy $%#@! Thank you for that awesome mathing! 

I knew it had to be a lot, but over 700,000 options for ONE ship?  No wonder it's so hard for me to choose a good list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stootchmaster said:

Holy $%#@! Thank you for that awesome mathing! 

I knew it had to be a lot, but over 700,000 options for ONE ship?  No wonder it's so hard for me to choose a good list.

For a while now, I've been working in my head on a minor manifesto on "The Good-Enough X-Wing List."  Not necessarily the Top-Tables-Large-Tournament list, but good enough.

My quick thought is this: Bring no bad pilots.  Bring no bad upgrades.  Bring only synergies you can use reliably.  Bring an appropriate bid for the ships (that is, not too big unless you need it to be big).

The longer and harder part is trying to generalize what makes stuff bad.  I think most stuff is good enough if kept fairly simple.  To that end, the biggest reason something is bad is probably that it's unreliable (or at least unreliable for the cost).

First Order is probably the best faction for this style of thinking.  All the ships and nearly all the pilots are fine--there's only a few absolute stinkers like Static and Upsilon Pilots who's name doesn't start with a "T".  Crack Shot and Fanatical and Proud Tradition are good talents, so it's easy to just stick to those three.  Almost anything you can put in the Tech slot is good.  It's hard to fall into a low-init Ordnance trap, since TIE/sf can also bring Passive Sensors.  Mostly skip the mod slot.  There aren't many crew choices, but mostly: if it's an unreliable synergy (Hux) it's bad, and if it's reliable (Phasma, maybe Snoke) it's probably good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooh.   I like math, but I absolute LOVE pointless complex boardgame math.  Especially the pointless part. And this definitely falls into that category.

 

On 2/17/2020 at 6:21 PM, theBitterFig said:

Probably no one has figured it out, since there isn't much of a value to figuring it out.  Knowing about the dice has potential use, but the combinatorics of X-Wing ship/pilot/upgrades is a lot less handy.

Anyhow...

Here's one ship: the B-Wing:

4 Pilots with Talent Slots (and one without); 16-17 Talent options (S-Foils allow Saturation Salvo); 6 Sensors; 5 Torpedoes; 2 Configuration; 11 Modification; (6 * 5 / 2 +1 = 16) Canon possibilities (for each option on the first cannon slot--6--you have 5 options for the 2nd slot, since you can't equip two of the same cannon, and order is irrelevant, so we need to divide by 2, but we also need to add back in the double-empty option).

Non-S-Foils With Talent Slot (4*16*6*5*11*16) + S-Foils With Talent Slot (4*17*6*5*11*16) +  No Talent Slot (6*5*2*11*16) =  337920 + 359040 + 10560 = 707520 B-Wing Combinations.  Almost three quarters of a million options, for just the B-Wing.

And I love it so much I gone and manually double checked your calculations.  Which was in itself pointless because you did a superb job.  ;)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...