wurms

HS Republic: 5 ships

Gave this a whirl the other day:

Broadside with ion turret

Ric Olie

x3 Jedi with CLT

Just flew against 7 tie iden swarm, nothing meta, but won handily. Lost Ric and half of broadside. 

Jedi were money, moving after the academies and able to repo with a focus to adjust to the ties that bumped,kturned, aka didnt have a focus for defense and light them up.

I figured opponent would go for broadside or ric first instead of 3 agility jedi vs his 2 dice attacks and he did just that. Starting on broadside, then switched to ric. Once this was confirmed my jedi didnt need to play safe and my moves were pretty much just 1 banks and boost/roll plus focus.

Split them up in three groups. 2 jedi zipped up board to get behind swarm. 1 jedi and broadside flanked left then banked in to middle. And ric was bait/rightside flanker. If/when swarm turned toward broadside, he can turn in behind them.

Edited by wurms

This is also fun

PadmeBroadside3JediKnights

(37) Jedi Knight [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(1) Predictive Shot

(45) Padmé Amidala [Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter]

(36) "Broadside" [BTL-B Y-wing]
(5) Ion Cannon Turret

(1) Predictive Shot

(1) Predictive Shot

Total points: 200

7 hours ago, wurms said:

Ric Olie

x3 Jedi with CLT

Just flew against 7 tie iden swarm, nothing meta, but won handily. Lost Ric and half of broadside. 

Jedi were money, moving after the academies and able to repo with a focus to adjust to the ties that bumped,kturned, aka didnt have a focus for defense and light them up.

I figured opponent would go for broadside or ric first instead of 3 agility jedi vs his 2 dice attacks and he did just that. Starting on broadside, then switched to ric. Once this was confirmed my jedi didnt need to play safe and my moves were pretty much just 1 banks and boost/roll plus focus.

Split them up in three groups. 2 jedi zipped up board to get behind swarm. 1 jedi and broadside flanked left then banked in to middle. And ric was bait/rightside flanker. If/when swarm turned toward broadside, he can turn in behind them.

Seems really nice.  I think CLT JK are solid.  Mixing in Broadside with Ion makes it a bit easier to control an opponent's location.  Swapping one JK out for Ric diversifies the threats a bit.  Playing against Ric, I often take too many fast moves to try to keep up, and then it probably gets easier for the Jedi to block them.

Got another game in. This time vs Nein,Zizi,Talli,Rose,BB8 pod.

A more difficult matchup. Wasnt sure how i wanted to handle the awings.

The pods kinda had to joust, so I obliged sending a pair up left to meet them. Broadside trekked slowly behind while another jedi slowly banked toward middle to threaten awings and Nien. Ric flanked right side.

Traded 1 shield on Broadside for 2 on bb8 in opening. Ric was in perfect position on right side to fly into toward middle next round. My pair of jedis banked slowly toward middle lining up CLTs on Rose. My middle jedi flew forward and blocked Nein. Ric 3 sharped and had range 1 behind talli.

Broadside took some damage this turn while BB8 died and Ric took shields from talli.

Next round, Rose is pointing wrong direction and she is too hard to kill anyways, so I focus on Nien. I get a jedi block on Nien and that sets up another for range 1 CLT shot that takes all his shields.

My jedis focus on Nien now. A couple sloops for a kill box and nein mostly escapes with a 3 bank. I got two jedi on him plus Broaside. But nein one shots the jedi in front of him, hit crit crit goes through and first crit is full leak. But I get another two dmg and an ion with my other ships and Nein is all bit toast next round. 

Talli on 1 hull explodes and Nien gets destroyed the next round.

Last round and Zizi trades range 1 shots with a jedi. Jedi survives, Zizi loses a shield, then broadside, still alive with two hull, gets the last shield on zizi for half points.

Blocking is key in this list vs higher init. Those hard 1 roll and focus is the bread and butter. Every round I had a jedi in front of Nien. I couldnt let him 1 straight to victory.

Broadside is a nice threat, circling the outside while the jedi knife fight. People who go after broadside first drag their ships into range 1 CLT of my jedi who then punch really really hard.

HS. Recently started flying this.  Ahsoka , 2 Jedi all with CLT . 2 Shadows with Ion and Dedicated.  All Init 3 . The Jedi are well force users . Fly much the same as Wurm. Two Jedi flank, B Wings up the center with Ahsoka falling in behind them. Fly very wide and spaced out . Ion as much as possible for the Jedi to pick on next turn.  I'm not afraid to use any ship as a blocker . The B Wings seem to work best flying circle once the engagement starts,  Ion Turret pointed to the side.  Ahsoka ability to focus or dodge , line up a shot should not be underestimated after a red maneuver. Dedicated is handy but R4 on Ahsoka is also an option. There is something in the list , just got to learn to fly it and experiment a bit with option. Such as suggested above, Ric and Broadside.

On 2/15/2020 at 7:18 AM, wurms said:

Ric Olie

x3 Jedi with CLT

Liking and stealing :)

Packing it for weeknight after a couple (losing) games against my boys 4 Skulls. Fly Casual AI was kinder to me :D

How valuable is Ric to the list? I can see the approach, but had a bit of trouble getting much out of him. Perhaps expecting too much, he is a useful, cheap flanker who occasionally hits quite hard....

Against the lad, I didn't get Broadside right at all though. I imagine that makes a difference to Rics approach. I'm a bit more used to Broadside being lower priority and safer to use more aggressively, perhaps.

I treat it like a sinker swarm. Ric flanks and creates a splinter in your opponents mind. Opponent wants to kill broadside, but has to get through jedi.

Only a few games in with the list. I made one mistake last game and kept everyone grouped together and that went horribly. Definately need to spread out with this squad and give your opponent tough choices.

Used it, unexpectedly, tonight. On a chance visit to one of my 2 regular stores. Enjoyed it a lot.

Up against APT Ani, Obi, Wolffe and a Squad 7. Won the game, cost me Broadside way too early and 1 very allowable Jedi late on.

Started to get the picture. Clearly messed up Broadside, again underestimating how desirable a target he is in this list. But put in a solid Ric showing, maybe partly due to my Broadside negligence. Still, a lot happier with the Ric rolling now.

Could have made one or two better choices with Broadside to start with, possibly traded a Jedi instead, on the 2nd/3rd engage, his Ion would have been in a much more advantageous position for the other 3, following on.

Did eat a full APT, necessary for both of us, with he board state. It did me a service though, keeping it from being the one shot wonder it's there to be.

However, the longer the 3 Jedi were on the table, the better things seemed to get. Their manouevrability allowed me to push risks I could still afford, which gave me the edge. The block/ace potential on 3 of these things is really pretty good!

I'm half inclined to just try and do a better job of offering Broadside up. Pulling him into following turns as an awkwardly placed, but temptingly damaged target, who can still potentially cripple things with Ion, seems a potentially mighty lever for the other 4.

(Blocked and pulled double panicked pilot, or he may have done exactly that. Rolled 2 hits and all blanks on the 7 dice he rolled afterward. Some Ion would have been real nice there)

I do feel overly risky with the Jedi, but I kinda like that :D

I have a tourney this wknd. This is now on my shortlist of lists for it, thanks :)

1 hour ago, Cuz05 said:

Started to get the picture. Clearly messed up Broadside, again underestimating how desirable a target he is in this list. But put in a solid Ric showing, maybe partly due to my Broadside negligence. Still, a lot happier with the Ric rolling now.

However, the longer the 3 Jedi were on the table, the better things seemed to get. Their manouevrability allowed me to push risks I could still afford, which gave me the edge. The block/ace potential on 3 of these things is really pretty good!

Yeah, I fly broadside near rocks, so if enemy comes for him, they get iond through the rocks. Also obstacles create nice lanes for jedi to line up CLT. Did this great in my first game vs the tie swarm. They spent the first engagement taking half of his life, then gave up and switched to rick for fear of flying into rocks. Then broadside was just circling the swarm the rest of the match. I dont think you need to do much to get his ion in range. Enemy usually wants him gone asap and come for him, and his ion is stellar in midgame when you jedi are slooping and kturning and if the enemy tries to keep up with kturns, broadside ions them.

I've also been testing CLT Jedi Knights, but I'm worried they may just get 1 shot or have a hard time getting bullseye vs higher init Jedi, Vonreg, etc...

Any tricks you all have picked up with them so they don't just explode - is range 1 generally a favourable engagement?

3 hours ago, FriendofYoda said:

I've also been testing CLT Jedi Knights, but I'm worried they may just get 1 shot or have a hard time getting bullseye vs higher init Jedi, Vonreg, etc...

Obviously just working this list out myself, but from previous experience, this is what Broadside is for.

Regardless of that, having 5 more or less equal value ships gives you a lot of leeway on setting up killboxes, with almost equally sacrificial pieces. Interlocking bullseyes on various angles can be difficult to avoid.

The Jedi can absolutely be one shotted at R1. I'm a bit too gung ho with them tbh, but setting good coverage options, (*keyword), really helps dissuade enemy aces from making that jump to R1 of one. 

*In my game last night, Obi could have turned in and bullseyed one of mine at R1. He didn't, because my ships could have turned on him and made him toast. He was probably not gonna risk it, so I put all guns on Wolffe and left myself open to the Obi move. Which he didn't risk. Psyche!

It is risky, but that's just the nature of things at times. In any case, 40pt behind 3 green dice with force and focus is not a massively appealing target when you have a hugely menacing 1ag Y Wing and a fairly predictable I5 ace with potentially only 2ag. I managed to set him only bad targets a few times, thanks to his own gas cloud :D

Quite a bit of nuance here.

Edit. I should add, regarding R1, I find this a bit of a change of pace to things I have been running. One of the things I find with Jedi based lists, winning is often more of a trickle than a flood. It's good to preserve points and follow the score closely. Be clinical, it can be surgery rather than slaughter:D

Edited by Cuz05

4 hours ago, FriendofYoda said:

In my last game, green dice definitely failed me. But thats the nature of the game. I positioned my jedi perfectly, so that I shoot at my target unobstructed, and the flanking Tie FO has to shoot my jedi range 3 through a rock. TIE FO rolls two hits. I roll 5 blanks. 2 dmg. Next round, my same jedi now has a range 1 CLT shot on his target. That flanking TIE FO is now range 3 unobstructed. Rolls 2 hits, I roll 4 blanks. Dead jedi. So yes, jedi can be killed easy when dice say so, but the other side of that story is that two red dice still matter, even if you dont have bullseye

Versus higher inits, its just all about blocking. Only slave 1 and Anakin naboo have pre-maneuver adjustments in hyperspace, so blocking is stronger than ever. In my resistance match, I blocked Nien Numb twice in a row and lined up those range 1 CLTs. And unless you also fly init 6, Vonreg will be moving after most ships, so why not have 3 green dice and the force?

Edited by wurms

I wonder if just going to 5x CLT Jedi with Sense on one to maximize blocking would be worth losing Ric/Broadside?

I have been testing a little on fly casual with decent results so far, although FFF and Boba/Fenn seem really tough. I feel like 5x Jedi will eat swarms for breakfast at least.

Question related to thread: if you’re running four CLT JK’s with Ric, what do you do with the two points? I Ric has three options: R4, Daredevil, and FCS. I don’t think R4 is worth bringing without something else such as daredevil. FCS is possible but you move too fast to keep on one target. Daredevil seems like the top choice of the three but even then it’s be situational.

1 hour ago, kempokid said:

Question related to thread: if you’re running four CLT JK’s with Ric, what do you do with the two points? I Ric has three options: R4, Daredevil, and FCS. I don’t think R4 is worth bringing without something else such as daredevil. FCS is possible but you move too fast to keep on one target. Daredevil seems like the top choice of the three but even then it’s be situational.

I'd go Daredevil or bid.

• Baby-bids around 2 points always feel nice to me.  So many folks build to 199-200 that it often comes in handy.  These Jedi at Init 3 have a lot to gain if they move 2nd against other 3s, so if there are spare points, I'm not really in a rush to fill them.
  • FCS is a hassle, R4 doesn't add a lot on an otherwise plain Ric.
  • Daredevil opens up Ric's dial a bunch.  5-Straight + Daredevil Boost keeps your speed high for your ability, while doing a 90 degree turn, possibly better than doing a 3-hard.  Likewise, 3-hard + Daredevil is a lot like a Tallon Roll, but you get your Full Throttle Evade (T-Roll stresses you out too soon).

On 2/26/2020 at 1:53 AM, Cerebrawl said:

Saw a 5x JK /w CLT & Predictive shot list get into a tourney top 4.

I think Predictive Shot is actively bad in the 5x Jedi Knight list (so the player+list performed well despite that!):

• Jedi Knights only have 1 force which they probably already spent activating Fine-Tuned Controls.
  • Each ship goes to 40 points, meaning you won't be up if you trade 1-for-1 against 5X, or 1-for-2 against droids with struts.
5 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I'd go Daredevil or bid.

• Baby-bids around 2 points always feel nice to me.  So many folks build to 199-200 that it often comes in handy.  These Jedi at Init 3 have a lot to gain if they move 2nd against other 3s, so if there are spare points, I'm not really in a rush to fill them.
  • FCS is a hassle, R4 doesn't add a lot on an otherwise plain Ric.
  • Daredevil opens up Ric's dial a bunch.  5-Straight + Daredevil Boost keeps your speed high for your ability, while doing a 90 degree turn, possibly better than doing a 3-hard.  Likewise, 3-hard + Daredevil is a lot like a Tallon Roll, but you get your Full Throttle Evade (T-Roll stresses you out too soon).

Daredevil shores up one of Ric's weaknesses: poor time on target. Related: never underestimate the surprise value of just 1-straighting with Ric.

3 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

Jeez, that’s powerful.

Thanks!

It is pretty good, but the ship that caries it is ultimately pretty fair.  It's only usable on a ship with 2 attack dice, so it's about as good as a 3rd attack die, but only when you get the bullseye, and the ship is closer in price to what ships with 3 full attack dice cost.  It's non-trivial to get that bullseye, particularly on a lower-initiative ship, but the Aethersprite is one of the better ships at accomplishing bullseyes.

Even on Init 6 Anakin, taking 7B for the plain 3rd attack die, at the much higher cost, tended to be better.  Now, I think CLT Anakin is probably not that bad, but until such a time as Anakin has no choice but to take it (say, if Ani was in Hyperspace along with CLT), few folks will run it, and the community won't have a great idea of how strong it is or isn't.

I like it on Snips. 

Delta-7 Aethersprite - •Ahsoka Tano - 54
    •Ahsoka Tano - “Snips" (44)
        •R4-P17 (5)
        Calibrated Laser Targeting (2)
        Heightened Perception (3)

Total: 54/200

Doing a Segnor's Loop into range one bullseye and putting three dice with a guaranteed focus result fourth on things with full mods at I7 is fun. Difficult to pull off of course but the wait-what-is-happening bafflement makes it worthwhile. 

On 2/15/2020 at 7:18 AM, wurms said:

Ric Olie

x3 Jedi with CLT

Just put this on the table. It's a lot of fun.

I think Broadside is an essential component. 

Just ripped through Imperial Aces. Like it a lot. And it's Hyperspace legal too!