drazen90909

My dream upgrade card...

10 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

Ysalamiri always bothered me as a cheap gimmick for writers who thought the Force meant Jedi and Sith were like Superman.

Zahn himself actually used them pretty cleverly, especially with their origin, but I can see how they could be overused.

3 hours ago, drazen90909 said:

I know it is from the Expanded Universe (but hey, there are still pilots in the game from that lore) so here is my wish for an upgrade card.  I think this would be awesome!

Thoughts?  Comments?

Ysalamiri.png.8486436a3b6df87ad0857ce36bbe1cd2.png

What about,

At the start of engagement phase an opponent at range 0-1 may spend 1 force (or all active force) to flip the card face down.  

That way you dont need something on the back. Otherwise maybe something like, "An opponent may not use force to modify dice when attacking or defending against this ship?" Especially with the double crew slot, not many ships could take it.

Wasn't thinking about anything on the back side, so maybe I need to get the right verbiage.  Perhaps it is "...to flip this card face down."

The thought was that you could elect to damage yourself to disable the card, as the card prevents you from using the force too so you may want to disable it at the opportune moment.

Spoiler Alert (Highlight to see)  Similar to how Thrawn set off an explosion to kill all the Ysalamiri in the Cloning Facility at the opportune moment.

8 minutes ago, irdonny said:

What about,

At the start of engagement phase an opponent at range 0-1 may spend 1 force (or all active force) to flip the card face down.  

That way you dont need something on the back. Otherwise maybe something like, "An opponent may not use force to modify dice when attacking or defending against this ship?" Especially with the double crew slot, not many ships could take it.

1 minute ago, drazen90909 said:

Wasn't thinking about anything on the back side, so maybe I need to get the right verbiage.  Perhaps it is "...to flip this card face down."

The thought was that you could elect to damage yourself to disable the card, as the card prevents you from using the force too so you may want to disable it at the opportune moment.

Spoiler Alert (Highlight to see)  Similar to how Thrawn set off an explosion to kill all the Ysalamiri in the Cloning Facility at the opportune moment.

Instead of flipping. Have it be 1 recurring charge.

"While this charge is active, ships at range 0-1 cannot spend force tokens.

*some cost like take damage, spend focus, etc* to spend one charge"

I don't think it should stop someone using the force, as that does shut down someone else's list entirely. It's like bringing a torpedo list and your opponent has a card that says "ignore torpedoes".

That being said, I do think there is room for a card that reduces force usage while on the board.

"1 charge

While the charge on this card is active, ships at range 0 - 2 do not recover a force charge in the End phase.

During the end phase, after all ships have recovered charge tokens. A ship at range 0 - 2 may suffer a face up damage card, if they do, you must spend the charge on this ship. This charge cannot be recovered."

I think the wording is important to ensure that:

• The charge cannot be recovered in any way.
  • The penalty should be a critical, but it's easy to accept that when you can take it on your shields, less so if you are dealt a face up damage card.
  • The specific timing of the card means (as long as the ship isn't destroyed) the Ysalamiri is guaranteed to have an effect on the game before being neutered by the second part of the card.
  • With a range 0 - 2 restriction for the effect, it also means that it's harder for ships to destroy it since if they want to actually take the ship off the board before it has a chance to effect them, it means hanging out at range 3 of the carrier ship which means more defence and less likely to be alpha'd.

On 2/14/2020 at 11:43 AM, drazen90909 said:

I know it is from the Expanded Universe (but hey, there are still pilots in the game from that lore) so here is my wish for an upgrade card.  I think this would be awesome!

Thoughts?  Comments?

I really like it. Would prefer to see it a cheap talent variant that works only at range range 0 and reads "Ships at Range 0 cannot modify their dice". Expand the impact beyond just force charges. Restrict it to i1-i3 only. Then add talents to a ton more i1-i2 ships. 

qB0h29i.png
Q7Qtilk.png

Edited by Boom Owl

On 2/14/2020 at 4:43 PM, drazen90909 said:

Thoughts?  Comments?

Can I ask what you used to make the card? The only stuff I have access to for making upgrade cards doesn't allow for the double-slot, and the formatting here looks better too

49 minutes ago, Prosk_019 said:

Can I ask what you used to make the card? The only stuff I have access to for making upgrade cards doesn't allow for the double-slot, and the formatting here looks better too

It looks like a photoshop job on top of the Emperor Palpatine Card.

15 hours ago, gadwag said:

It looks like a photoshop job on top of the Emperor Palpatine Card.

Close, @gadwag

It is a Photoshop job over the Death Troopers upgrade card.   🙂

Pilot Name Font:  Bank Gothic STD Medil    https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/bank-gothic/medium/

Ability Text Font:  Eurostile LT Std Condensed  https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/eurostile-lt/std-condensed/

8 hours ago, drazen90909 said:

Close, @gadwag

It is a Photoshop job over the Death Troopers upgrade card.   🙂

Pilot Name Font:  Bank Gothic STD Medil    https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/bank-gothic/medium/

Ability Text Font:  Eurostile LT Std Condensed  https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/eurostile-lt/std-condensed/

Thank you brother