Sign in to follow this  
heychadwick

Too Many Cards

I have gotten 4 of the 5 conversion kits.  I have the boxed set.  I just bought the 3 new card packs.  I am having a hard time with storing all these cards!  I just had to buy a new card box that was longer to hold all the new cards I have.    It's getting crazy.   Yes, I don't have to carry all the cards I own everywhere I go, but I do.   I don't know what I'm going to play and that one time I'm going to need those 20 Concussion Missiles I have then I'm going to realize that I forgot to grab that box with all the crap I never bring.  

Anyone else having this issue?   I also have a lot of asteroids at this point with so many boxed sets.  

Yep. Seems like it's kinda always been this way in X-Wing.  You don't have enough of anything, then all of a sudden, you've got too many.

I've got my cards stored in two kinds of places.  Many are in 3-ring binders in standard 9-pockets, with cards somewhat stacked, no more than 4 per slot.  Roughly alphabetical (at least by first letter), with empty slots so I don't have to reorganize too often.  Typically, any card with more than 2-slots worth will go into a "longbox" style card box.

6 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

I have gotten 4 of the 5 conversion kits.  I have the boxed set.  I just bought the 3 new card packs.  I am having a hard time with storing all these cards!  I just had to buy a new card box that was longer to hold all the new cards I have.    It's getting crazy.   Yes, I don't have to carry all the cards I own everywhere I go, but I do.   I don't know what I'm going to play and that one time I'm going to need those 20 Concussion Missiles I have then I'm going to realize that I forgot to grab that box with all the crap I never bring.  

Anyone else having this issue?   I also have a lot of asteroids at this point with so many boxed sets.  

Yes, I had to buy an additional box. No, I do not have the issue of needing to bring my entire collection with me each time I leave the house.

I pull two or three lists and put them in a Decipher era Star Wars CCG "tourney box" with my damage deck, set up the models with their ship base plates and tombstones in their pluck foam trays, put this into the Games Product bag with the templates and obstacles and dice tray along with my tokens and markers Plano organizers, and I'm ready to go. Putting a list all ready to go on the table takes enough time and there is already insufficient gaming time. I will not exacerbate that by being the guy who doesn't show up with a list ready to go as much as transport method allows. I chose and set up my transport method to facilitate speed in setting up and tearing down. 

There are a lot of cards and markers and tokens and stuff you need to play this game. But you do not need all of it with you each time you go outside the house to play. That's how you lose stuff. That's how you take up more than your share of the gaming space.

I know there is some snark here but this sort of thing isn't funny or cute to me anymore. Not having your **** together and being unable to make decisions and deal with them isn't clever or affable. It is rude and lazy. Self-deprecation is not a desirable character trait. /Old-man cranky with the kids rant

I'm in the same boat as the rest of you. The card boxes hold the significant surfeit of cards. Four three ring binders hold the pilot cards and ship tokens. Each faction has a pencil case that holds the medium and large ship tokens. These are designed to fit a three ring binder.

One of the binders holds nothing but upgrade cards. Makes it easier to find a card rather than going through card boxes. 

I use three Plano/Flambeau boxes. One box carries all the tokens, turret indicators, tombstones, etc that I need. Not all that I have but all I need to run any build that I put together.

The second box carries dice, damage deck, movement templates, two extra large and medium bases as well as extra mounting rods. There's also one of every obstacle issued. And the proximity mine tokens. 

The third box carries the builds du jour. Bases, cards, ships etc. All that fits into a soft sided over night bag that's been repurposed for gaming. I walk out of the house holding one bag instead of having both hands full and a CaseIt over my shoulder.

When going out to play, I only have one modified Plano box that carries everything I need.  There's usually space for at least two lists (currently, I have five, but three primaries and two with duplicate/shared components).  Everything else stays home.  I have a single box containing at least one copy of every upgrade card I currently have, and multiples of those upgrades I use most frequently/in multiple lists.  Spare cards are not part of my collection; they are put aside.  Ships are stored when not in use. 

52 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

I pull two or three lists and put them in a Decipher era Star Wars CCG "tourney box" with my damage deck, set up the models with their ship base plates and tombstones in their pluck foam trays, put this into the Games Product bag with the templates and obstacles and dice tray along with my tokens and markers Plano organizers, and I'm ready to go. Putting a list all ready to go on the table takes enough time and there is already insufficient gaming time. I will not exacerbate that by being the guy who doesn't show up with a list ready to go as much as transport method allows. I chose and set up my transport method to facilitate speed in setting up and tearing down. 

Well, if you are a tournament player and all you play is 200x6, then it might be a lot easier to just select a few lists and that's that.  I don't often play standard 200x6 and I need to bring a large amount of my stuff as I don't know what I'm going to play that night (often enough).   

I do have a good system, though, and it isn't that inefficient to get my stuff together.  

There are a lot of cards and markers and tokens and stuff you need to play this game. But you do not need all of it with you each time you go outside the house to play. That's how you lose stuff. That's how you take up more than your share of the gaming space.

Actually, I lose stuff when I leave it at home.   The Mrs. is too often wanting me to re-arrange my crap.   I don't lose anything by keeping it all together.  Once it leaves the herd, it's prey to being re-orged and forgotten.  

As for taking up space, I have a large LGS and there is plenty of room.

I know there is some snark here but this sort of thing isn't funny or cute to me anymore. Not having your **** together and being unable to make decisions and deal with them isn't clever or affable. It is rude and lazy. Self-deprecation is not a desirable character trait. /Old-man cranky with the kids rant

I do have my **** together.  I spent an hour last night re-organizing everything.  It is now in an excellent system that is easier to carry.  It did take me quite a bit of time and I had to purchase new containers and all that, but it is together. 

Speaking of rude, your attitude is.  Also, I'm 49, so you can quit calling me "kid".  This post is borderline report-able.  The magic of internet forums is that you don't have to reply or even read messages you don't like, instead of taking the time to post a nasty-gram.  

I don't play tournaments (much) and play for fun. I bring no less than 5 lists with me and the stuff I need to play said lists (usually, there's always that awkward moment when you realise you brought this wrong whip dial or pilot card). My group also communicates before hand what game style we're playing well before game night.

In first edition I brought my whole collection and it was impractical and rude then. It's more so now.  The ONLY time I bring everything is when we may have a new person interested in the game showing up so they can make any list they want.

Faction specific cards go in paired double deck-boxes and 2 separate smaller deck boxes carry all the generic upgrades I could need, between 1-6 of any I should need, but usually 2-4. This means only a game night I throw the 3 deck boxes I need into my token box and grab the right foam that has the ships in. This all together fits perfect in my rucksack along with flask/snacks. It's not perfect but I need to be able to build squads at the shop on game nights, and potentially the smaller tournaments. because time and space at home can be it's own challenge.

Yes there's too many cards that are twice as big as they needed to be, but it's better than not enough variety. 

3 hours ago, heychadwick said:

I do have my **** together. 

Doesn't sound like it. 

Actually, I lose stuff when I leave it at home.   The Mrs. is too often wanting me to re-arrange my crap.   I don't lose anything by keeping it all together.  Once it leaves the herd, it's prey to being re-orged and forgotten.  

If some of your stuff can't be away from some of your other stuff for a few hours, it seems to me there is something very not together in that scenario. I guess though we all have to stick with what works for us. 

The magic of internet forums is that you don't have to reply or even read messages you don't like, instead of taking the time to post a nasty-gram.  

I'm afraid the counter-magic of internet forums is that not all of the things we post are taken as sunshine and rainbows and greeted with approbation and aplomb. 

On the bright side, 2.0 made it where all the cards are the larger size so they have a nice hefty weight to them when lunged around. There are some tool organizers with bins that are useful for moving cards around. Search Amazon for "Stanley 10 Removable Bin Compartment Deep Professional Organizer". Amazon basics did have one, much cheaper, but then they had to change it. They close up real tight and have a handle so they are easy to move and aren't so accident prone. But yeah, you really don't need 20 copies of hull upgrade.

6 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Doesn't sound like it. 

If some of your stuff can't be away from some of your other stuff for a few hours, it seems to me there is something very not together in that scenario. I guess though we all have to stick with what works for us. 

I'm afraid the counter-magic of internet forums is that not all of the things we post are taken as sunshine and rainbows and greeted with approbation and aplomb. 

I take everything with me when I go to play, why because I run the game nights and there’s isn’t a night that goes by that someone in the group needs to borrow something. I know heychadwick has a lot to do with his group as well. So maybe you should look at all angles before you are rude and make an *** of yourself. The attitude of some people here....we’ll this is the way I do it and it’s the only way. Glad you aren’t in my local playgroup. 

6 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

I am fine with not everyone agreeing with me, but I have found the FFG forums to be pretty free from nasty attitudes that you can find in other corners of the internet.  I enjoy them that way.  I have only blocked two people so far on the forums, but you just got added to my list.

You think a slow Friday would bring out the best in people, but I guess not.  

As @Vykk Draygo stated, I run a lot different stuff for my LGS.  Last night was Flight Group Alpha and I was needed to provide all ships, cards, dice, terrain, templates, and everything else.  I don't mind.  I just grip occasionally when the collection grows a bit more ponderous.  I can live with it, though.  I just had to re-org.  I figured a little venting wasn't a bad thing.  I wondered if anyone else was having the same issue.  

5 hours ago, heychadwick said:

I have an overflow box that I toss my extras into. I can dig them out if I ever need 20 Concussion Missiles, but I don't keep them handy.

4 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Honestly? I make 2-3 lists ahead of time and only take that. My game time is limited so I don’t want to waste 30 min plus on assembling a list, never mind trying to choose from everything.

Yep. I make sure my lists and supplies are ready the night before. If I spent that time at the store building lists, I'd never get to play.

1 hour ago, Koing907 said:

I have an overflow box that I toss my extras into. I can dig them out if I ever need 20 Concussion Missiles, but I don't keep them handy.

Yeah, I keep up to 8 copies non-limited, and 4 copies of limited (in case I lose one or someone needs to borrow one) of everything in a card box, then dump the rest in an overflow box, and by dump I mean sorted alphabetically in nice stacks so I can find stuff easily if I need to :P

3 hours ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

My group also communicates before hand what game style we're playing well before game night.

We do this, too, and it's extremely helpful.

18 minutes ago, wurms said:

Yeah, I keep up to 8 copies non-limited, and 4 copies of limited (in case I lose one or someone needs to borrow one) of everything in a card box, then dump the rest in an overflow box, and by dump I mean sorted alphabetically in nice stacks so I can find stuff easily if I need to :P

Yeah, I actually went through and evaluated each card. Predator or Crack Shot? Cheap and useful enough that I keep 6-8 copies with me. Tactical Scrambler? Hardly used at all and can only go on medium or large ships so I only have 2 copies, and the rest are in separate storage.

If I need more than that and I wasn't expecting to, it usually means we're playing some casual format and I just proxy. If I know ahead of time (see above) I dig out the extra cards from the bottom drawer of my dresser where I also save all the tiny bags you get from FFG products.