Sign in to follow this  
Naboobo2000

Discussion: Dreadnought

The community started discussions years ago with the SSD.  All of our conjure help make that a reality.  Now I challenge the community to bring the classic Dreadnought to life.

image.jpeg.3b6c3abfb5dfcf7e795f664763c73b6f.jpeg

Now I have some great ideas to make this come to life. Both with the mechanics of the ship and IDEAS for marketing, in which FFG could easily market it.

i first would like to start by one idea.  Multi-factional ship.  Same physical ship packaged in 4 different factions.  Easy and cheap to manufacture for a wave. One ship to produce and 4 different packages.

Now my idea for each faction.  So I normally play Empire.  So I would be forced to purchase the Empire ship.  Now each faction have different upgrades that can work across factions.  So my thought would be after I get my empire ship and I could buy the 3 others and get those cards and still play all 4 or more ships.

Now to the ship. It’s a medium based ship with a high hull point value. I would love to see the classic green turbo laser used on this ship.  Green Dice!  Powerfull turbo lasers that where made for war.  So powerful that dice mitigation does not work. (Brace, redirect, contain) But remember this is an old ship so it’s targeting computers aren’t that good. No accuracies.  25% hits 25% criticals.  Special rule: hits are normal but criticals go directly to hull.

Ship cost 40-60
Hull 10 -  Squadron 1, Engineering 3, Command 3

Brace, Redirect

F 2 Green, Sides 3 Green , Rear 1 Green

Speed 1- 1 click, Speed 2 - 0 clicks

Shields Front 3 Sides 3 Rear 1

I haven’t thought about the upgrade Bar.

Ok people, your thoughts!

No new dice, please, especially not dice which have special rules attached. Things are plenty complicated enough; we don’t need people asking if upgrades that add a die of any color to the attack pool can add green dice, and what happens if I roll a green critical, does it go directly to the hull? 

If there really must be new dice added to the game (and I think there shouldn’t be), any faces that don’t work EXACTLY as the old faces we have now need to have completely new icons for those faces, full stop.

To accomplish what you’re intending to accomplish, you simply need upgrade cards that alter the effects of the current dice (like the Salvation title alters Critical faces).

9 minutes ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

No dice/damage mitigation? That’s what accuracies are for. 😉

Exactly. This “green dice” idea is just trying to be too fancy. If you really want the Dreadnaught to function differently, just make it a normal ship with a zero point mandatory Title upgrade that says that all of its critical icons ignore shields. And if you want a low hit rate on these things, just use reds, and not many of them.

The game does not need to add more dice, and it would create a ton of unwanted and unintended problems.

So, first things first - I don‘t like the ship and therefore don‘t need it in Armada. 

2. I don‘t like the idea of dual faction ships. There is simply no need for it and I like the fact that every faction stands for its own!

3. If they would release it I don‘t see a plausible reason for 4 different packagings (one per faction) with different upgrade cards. That would be the worst thing ever to happen!! If they would release it for all factions it should come in one pack with all factions and upgrades. 

4. No new dice please. Especially for just one ship...

5. A medium ship for 40-60 Points with 10 hull?!? 

Edited by M0N0LITH

1 hour ago, M0N0LITH said:

So, first things first - I don‘t like the ship and therefore don‘t need it in Armada. 

2. I don‘t like the idea of dual faction ships. There is simply no need for it and I like the fact that every faction stands for its own!

3. If they would release it I don‘t see a plausible reason for 4 different packagings (one per faction) with different upgrade cards. That would be the worst thing ever to happen!! If they would release it for all factions it should come in one pack with all factions and upgrades. 

4. No new dice please. Especially for just one ship...

5. A medium ship for 40-60 Points with 10 hull?!? 

Agree on no new dice and the ship price and hull value.  No medium base ship has 10 hull.  A reasonable ship cost would be about 66-70pts and 7-8 hull, with maybe contain, brace, redirect tokens.

4 hours ago, ISD Avenger said:

10 hull? Waaay to high. And I’d say this would likely be a small base ship.

Link to my take on the ISV (hope it works)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ktj9u5fog1b8q2/ISV.bmp?dl=0

I actually really like that @ISD Avenger. I think it’s be a great spot for two fleet support slots! Interesting nav chart too. Makes it unique to fly and gives it a unique role. Points are probably about right too.

maybe make a combat version that adds a red dice to a couple arcs and swaps a fleet support slot for maybe a support team or turbolaser? Appropriate points increase of 8 to 10

Don't see it being a small. Should be a med combat hull I'd give it a 2 command, 2 squad 4 engineering speed 2. I'd go for 7 hull with a 3,2,2,1 shield arrangement with 2 red and a black up front, 2 reds 1 blue and a black on the sides and two red and a black out the back. The mk2 variant taking the blacks to blue and 1 blue on the flanks to red. A blue and a black for black on the 1. 2 blue on the mk 2. figure it and be the flack monster that fighters fear. 1 brace 1 redirect a contain and a salvo token upgrades probably focused on defense. Figure this would make it a great support ship for a blockade and great flank guard. Kinda how I'd imagine the ship being used. 

I can’t say that I like any of the OPs ideas for the dreadnought. 

1) I don’t want dual faction ships unless we don’t have a choice. I sure as **** don’t want four faction ships. 

2) 4 different packages, one for each faction, is just a no-go.

3) No new dice. Don’t over complicate this.

4) Ignore redirect, brace, and contain with new dice. Why is this a positive idea? How is it a positive idea? 

5) Multiple crits straight to hull in a single attack? No. APTs are really powerful, only work at close range without shenanigans, and cost 5 points. You want to give that ability to a ship that can now do this with multiple crits at long range? Why?

Redo your marketing down to a single package with 4 factions worth of unique titles and I’m gonna listen a bit more. Ditch the green dice and I’ll listen  

I’m all for people trying to make new designs. So I don’t want to stop OP from making new things. I just don’t like this one

I agree with everyone that there shouldn’t be new dice, and 10 hull is downright unfair for a medium ship at 60 points. But I would love to see this ship in the game, and especially with it being dual faction. Although I don’t recall the separatists using it 🤔 so maybe just the other 3 factions? Definitely think this should be in the game!

If FFG did decide to introduce all-new dice (which I don’t believe they will, but simply for the sake of conversation, let’s say they do), I could foresee them doing so as a way to distinguish new factions from old (I.e., prequel or sequel era). They certainly would not do so for one ship. Such a decision would have huge ripple effects, of course, from current card effects for dice upgrades to range rulers.

I’m not opposed to the idea per se, but in this example, I don’t think it’s a workable idea. I certainly don’t want to hinder creative thinking though or dismiss ideas simply because they’re new. 

4 hours ago, cadetvw said:

I actually really like that @ISD Avenger. I think it’s be a great spot for two fleet support slots! Interesting nav chart too. Makes it unique to fly and gives it a unique role. Points are probably about right too.

Thank you. That’s what I was trying to achieve. And it speaks to the ‘support vessel’ aspect of the ship.

I liked the red anti fighter dice too. Makes the design more appealing but puts it on a relatively fragile ship. Interesting trade off.

11 hours ago, Naboobo2000 said:

Ok I’ll concede on the green dice.  Replace them with blue. 

I still think they need to put out the damage and be very mean but are old and janky.

I would prefer them if they were old and a bit crap, but cheap.  Maybe I'm projecting.

Tanky medium base ship (7-9), but with low firepower, 1 squadron and command 3 min.

This is a good idea points wise for this ship I think, with exception that it should have a little more firepower at broadsides than an assualt frigate. 

I like the idea of it being rebel or imperial but, definitely would have to include both factions upgrade cards in one box and not more than that.

One thing though... when you look this ship up... it's classified mostly as a "heavy crusier" so wouldn't it be a bit more beefy than an assualt frigate?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Dreadnaught-class_heavy_cruiser

3wnacnvz6eqz.jpg

Edited by Wulfrain

47 minutes ago, ISD Avenger said:

47 minutes ago, ISD Avenger said:

One thing to keep in mind. Officially, this is the Imperial Support Vessel not a dreadnought anymore. 

That's too bad as the old heavy cruiser has more history and would make for a great expansion. I'll take the Support Vessel over nothing but the heavy cruiser is my first pick.

Edited by jbc98k
Typo