Blail Blerg

What will the new FO Ep9 ship do? (minor spoilers)

On 2/14/2020 at 1:08 PM, CaptainJaguarShark said:

I really don't think this gets cloak. The stealthiness is supposed to be electronic warfare or something like that. Jam makes sense, jam that can be used in addition to other actions makes sense.

So maybe a ship ability with a recurring charge that says something along the lines of "when an enemy ship in range 0-1 / bullseye 0-2 would gain a blue or green token you may assign a jam token to it" or maybe front arc only? 

Edited by Skitch_

For people saying that fast ship + turret is a recipe for disaster. What about something along the line of "cloak -> rotate". To reflect the improved stealth of the ship. Can only rotate if you forgo shooting this turn.

8 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

The Vaksai is even more so from the release K-Fighter than the non-Kylo Whisper is from the /sf. Didn't stop them then...

Well, I imagine one variant would sell more than the other variant. 

The only way a ship this silly will be both accurate and balanced is if it's flown only by mooks and a super pricey Kylo.

Or, you can go the route of the 2e TIE/ph. Which still turned out to be very potent. I'll try my best to be thematic yet somehow try to be balanced, but watch me fall on my face.

The Game's first Unique Ship. It has a dot by the chassis name.

Silencer stats + dial (but cap the blue straights at 4), but no autothrusters. It would have a 2 die turret, but no solo rotate. Instead, it would be boost>>focus, roll>>focus, lock>>rotate, jam>>rotate: all links are red. Tech and sensor, but no munitions. Force for Kylo, talent for everyone else.

"Lurking Prototype: While you defend and your *non-recurring charge* is active, roll 1 additional die. After you suffer damage, spend your *non-recurring charge.* During the End Phase, you may spend 1 focus token to recover your *non-recurring charge*. You may rotate your *turret arc indicator* only to your *front arc* and *rear arc*."

Kylo Ren: Supreme Leader of the First Order (same Init, same force count, and same ability. 87 pt.)

"Phantom": Murmuring Murderer. "After you perform an attack that hits, gain 1 focus token." I5, 76 pt.

"Ambush": Exposed Gambit. "While performing an attack, you may spend your *non-recurring charge* to roll 1 additional die". I4, 68 pt.

"Flashbang": Overwhelming Distraction. "After you fully execute a maneuver, you may spend your *non-recurring charge*. If you do, each ship at range 1 gains 1 jam token and 1 deplete token. I3, 69 nice points.

"Wayfinder": Undeterred Navigator. "You do not roll dice for obstacle effects." I3, 69 points.

If you see this and Holo across the table, be thankful that I'm not a designer. If anything remotely like this sees release, I demand 64 pt Delta Defenders.

Edited by Hoarder of Garlic Bread

I'm gonna' remind you all that the Kihraxz being different from the Vaksai is very much a Disney/FFG move, and that the Vaksai you speak of is how the stock Kihraxz looked in SWG. But the Kihaxz we have was one of four variants.

REALLY should have been the Ixiyen filling that X-Wing slot...

340?cb=20060708224646

35 minutes ago, KCDodger said:

I'm gonna' remind you all that the Kihraxz being different from the Vaksai is very much a Disney/FFG move, and that the Vaksai you speak of is how the stock Kihraxz looked in SWG. But the Kihaxz we have was one of four variants.

REALLY should have been the Ixiyen filling that X-Wing slot...

340?cb=20060708224646

I'm aware, which is why I used the term "released". I also agree, the Ixiyen is a better simile for the T-65 then the K-Fighter. Personally I'd rather the Dunelizard over both the Ixiyen and K-Fighter, but that is more my personal distaste for Black Sun. It also fits the Mando made theme that seems central to S&V, unlike the K-fighter.

7 hours ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

The only way a ship this silly will be both accurate and balanced is if it's flown only by mooks and a super pricey Kylo.

Or, you can go the route of the 2e TIE/ph. Which still turned out to be very potent. I'll try my best to be thematic yet somehow try to be balanced, but watch me fall on my face.

The Game's first Unique Ship. It has a dot by the chassis name.

Silencer stats + dial (but cap the blue straights at 4), but no autothrusters. It would have a 2 die turret, but no solo rotate. Instead, it would be boost>>focus, roll>>focus, lock>>rotate, jam>>rotate: all links are red. Tech and sensor, but no munitions. Force for Kylo, talent for everyone else.

"Lurking Prototype: While you defend and your *non-recurring charge* is active, roll 1 additional die. After you suffer damage, spend your *non-recurring charge.* During the End Phase, you may spend 1 focus token to recover your *non-recurring charge*. You may rotate your *turret arc indicator* only to your *front arc* and *rear arc*."

Kylo Ren: Supreme Leader of the First Order (same Init, same force count, and same ability. 87 pt.)

"Phantom": Murmuring Murderer. "After you perform an attack that hits, gain 1 focus token." I5, 76 pt.

"Ambush": Exposed Gambit. "While performing an attack, you may spend your *non-recurring charge* to roll 1 additional die". I4, 68 pt.

"Flashbang": Overwhelming Distraction. "After you fully execute a maneuver, you may spend your *non-recurring charge*. If you do, each ship at range 1 gains 1 jam token and 1 deplete token. I3, 69 nice points.

"Wayfinder": Undeterred Navigator. "You do not roll dice for obstacle effects." I3, 69 points.

If you see this and Holo across the table, be thankful that I'm not a designer. If anything remotely like this sees release, I demand 64 pt Delta Defenders.

Dang dude, is this all just off the top of your head? The ship ability is rad and I absolutely adore flashbang

Edit: One thing though...

7 hours ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

Seeing as Kylo's eligible for a different epithet/tagline thingy now, I reckon it's time for him to get a new ability as well

Edited by Prosk_019

7 hours ago, Prosk_019 said:

Dang dude, is this all just off the top of your head? The ship ability is rad and I absolutely adore flashbang

Edit: One thing though...

Seeing as Kylo's eligible for a different epithet/tagline thingy now, I reckon it's time for him to get a new ability as well

Thanks! However, I just realized that with no side arcs and a 3 die gun primary, there is no incentive to having the turret pointed forward. The TIE/SF addresses this by giving a front die gun of 2 and having a gunner that can augment to 3, can double-tap, or fires most missiles through the turret. This thing doesn't need munitions (because whereas the Silencer is the Ultra-Interceptor, this could be the support + ace in one ship [hence sensor and added utility]), and an extra-wordy SF gunner for the same effect helps no one. Perhaps then we just pull a 1st e and represent that under-turret with a butt arc. Except here in 2nd e you can just represent the two guns with different numbers. 3 die front, 2 die rear, a la ARC 170/Lambda (I suppose the ship has fancy computers that auto-aim if there are no gunners). It's dumb, but hey, they put it there, and at least it's not as positionally agnostic as other craft for the guns. And without rotates, I suppose it would just be lock and jam as white solo actions. You could go the route of George RR Martin novels, I mean CIS cards, and make an entire word wall as the text, but I don't like that. If you had to, I would keep the rotate and the first proposed action bar, but have the turret swivel to the front at the end of engagement. Can't butt shot and kite forever without a price then. But another problem with that is it makes 0 thematic sense.

As for the abilities, I thought it funny that we will have a pilot "Whisper" and a ship called the Whisper. So naturally, if Whisper flies the phantom, Phantom flies the Whisper. To further the meme, I inverted the pilot ability of Phantom to be this craft's own Whisper (which turns out to be 1st e Whisper ability, but OK). And since 2nd e Whisper synergizes with recloaking, I thought Phantom should synergize with recloaking. Except cloak is a bad idea on 3 agi, so the closest similar balance would be a stealth device. A 1-time built-in stealth device would be boring and RNG heavy, so I added the whole recharge thing based on focusing a la a phantom relcoaking with an evade. Focuses on stealth but does not break the game on first glance. Adds a lot of nuance to token management with Kylo's force and unlike the Silencer, which sees optics as the default tech and then has to justify variants or go without the tech slot, optics might end up as a trap for anyone but Phantom. Also, whereas Fanatical is the default muggle talent for the Silencer, Proud Trad might be interesting here if you have Muse or could line up firing to make False Trad's trigger a trap for the opponent. Especially since linked focii are red, it doesn't care at all about False Trad because you can't further red something that is red. I suppose that to make Proud Trad not a staple, in addition to reposition to red focii, it should have a native white focus as well. 

Keeping in the spirit of looking at old 1st e stuff that didn't see much play, I liked the card Expose's ideas (even if everything about it equipping and triggering it was ****), so I incorporated that into Ambush: he gets +1 red and -1 green for Exposing himself. Thought Flashbang would be fun to focus on the utility element on the craft and I was playing a bunch of CS:GO last night, so he needed that callsign. Wayfinder because although I never bothered to watch the movie, friends were telling me about  near-infinite plot devices, contrivances, arbitrary decisions, and inconsistencies in it, such as Lando teleporting with an entire Armada but seemingly without a Holocron to the climax planet thing. I suppose some people are really good at ignoring deadly gas clouds, and Wayfinder is one of them.

Edited by Hoarder of Garlic Bread

I'm real fond of the token management going on with your concept.

37 minutes ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

So naturally, if Whisper flies the phantom, Phantom flies the Whisper.

I'm in full agreement there.

Also nice work distinguishing it from the silencer as a more support-oriented fighter.

Man, the whisper is gonna be a pain in the *** to design when the time comes.

39 minutes ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

I suppose some people are really good at ignoring deadly gas clouds, and Wayfinder is one of them.

Also I dig the meme of dedicating a pilot card to ******** on a movie