Blail Blerg

What will the new FO Ep9 ship do? (minor spoilers)

17 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

the FO Whisper. It looks like a Silencer. We already have plenty of chonkyacebois, do we need more? Will it be a light interceptor craft, we already have the tie/ba too? 

Maybe two versions to match the two different versions in the film?

latest?cb=20191222230625

latest?cb=20200123153000

Big issue I see is that the first version doesn't appear to be that much different than the TIE/sf. It's said to have "upgraded stealth systems" so maybe there's something that can be done with that to differentiate it.

Kylo's version seems to have more significantly more firepower than the standard model, plus the larger wings. I'm not even sure it's any faster.

Less shields, some kind of special tech or systems upgrade (****, maybe one that takes both??)

More nimble. Basically what you take if you don't want the chonk of an SF. As for Kylo Ren's... **** if I know. Even faster? More nimble than a VN even, maybe..?

I like the idea of an electronic warfare / cloaking fighter. Something that squirrels arounds and distributes jam tokens.

Front Arc Attack: 2, Back Arc Attack: 2, Agility: 2, Shield: 2, Hull 2

Actions: Focus, Lock, Evade, Barrel Roll, Cloak, Jam

Adv. EW System: After you decloak, you may perform a [Jam] action. When you engage, if you are cloaked, you may perform a [Jam] action.

Bring on the ultimate starfighter!

3 attack/2 turret, 3 agil, 3 hull, 3 shield

boost, focus, lock->red rotate turret, barrel roll, red jam? (or red cloak?)

Ability: heavy weapon turret

Upgrades: system, tech, missile (no gunner and no mod)

Fast dial

Edited by Odanan

Damnation this is an awkward ship to add to the game.  Fast like an Interceptor, turret-based guns, this is basically just a TIE/sf with a tonne of stuff added, and in game terms would work out to just be another RZ-2.  Even mixing it up, giving it a hybrid Striker-like "Adaptive Turret" as a ship ability--to force Aileron moves and only allow a turret rotate if you fully execute the move--doesn't really feel great.  Oh, and it should maybe cloak?

JJ gave us the most power-creep design possible.  Thanks, I hate it.

Anyhow...

What if it wasn't another ship (at least in the non-Kylo modified version), but a configuration for the TIE/sf?  Add at least the cloak action, maybe when you decloak you can perform a red Jam action.  Maybe include also "you lose the Gunner slot," but add some perk like a reroll to incentivize front-turret.  Having the ship mostly be a different way of flying the TIE/sf partly solves the "too many similar ships" thing.

I don't know what to do with Kylo.  That movie turret really mucks everything up.

Edited by theBitterFig

7 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Damnation this is an awkward ship to add to the game.  Fast like an Interceptor, turret-based guns, this is basically just a TIE/sf with a tonne of stuff added, and in game terms would work out to just be another RZ-2.  Even mixing it up, giving it a hybrid Striker-like "Adaptive Turret" as a ship ability--to force Aileron moves and only allow a turret rotate if you fully execute the move--doesn't really feel great.  Oh, and it should maybe cloak?

Anyhow...

What if it wasn't another ship (at least in the non-Kylo modified version), but a configuration for the TIE/sf?  Add at least the cloak action, maybe when you decloak you can perform a red Jam action.  Maybe include also "you lose the Gunner slot," but add some perk like a reroll to incentivize front-turret.  Having the ship mostly be a different way of flying the TIE/sf partly solves the "too many similar ships" thing.

I don't know what to do with Kylo.  That movie turret really mucks everything up.

You know it won't be a config. FFG will release a different model for this thing- as they always do!

20 hours ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

latest?cb=20191222230625

Big issue I see is that the first version doesn't appear to be that much different than the TIE/sf. It's said to have "upgraded stealth systems" so maybe there's something that can be done with that to differentiate it.

Looks a bit beefier / more reinforced around the cockpit area and the support struts on the wings look thicker.  Looks like its probably a little more survivable than the TIE/sf?

tieSF.jpg

4 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Yes, if only LucasFilm decreed that all new writers and directors for upcoming Star Wars shows and movies first consider how their material might affect FFG's various licensed games. For shame. ;) 

12 minutes ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

Yes, if only LucasFilm decreed that all new writers and directors for upcoming Star Wars shows and movies first consider how their material might affect FFG's various licensed games. For shame. ;) 

I mean, make a movie that's more sophisticated than an improv "Yes, And..." session and it probably won't be a problem.

I think it would be neat if it could equip turrets but only shoot with its front and rear arcs.  No gunmer slot but give it a 2 primary front and rear arc.  This is really tough. 

Hopefully they dont rush this.  They can make TIE FO Bomber first and fill a need or even the knight of ren ship before they worry about this one.    

Lore says it has a gunner, so it really ought to have one in game, too. Special Forces Gunner is TIE/sf-only, so it would have to get its own gunner ("Elite Forces Gunner"?) anyway.

If FFG didn't want to make it simply better in every way, they could make the linked rotate actions red.

Spitballing:

2-forward arc, 2-mobile arc, 3 agility, 3 hull, 3 shields

Heavy weapons turret ability.

FOCUS > ROTATE

LOCK > ROTATE

EVADE > JAM

ROLL > ROTATE

The extra agility and evade-jam combo represent its stealthiness. The gain in survivability means it would be more expensive than the SF, leaving that ship a niche as the heavy swarmer.

The gunner:

Elite Forces Gunner

First Order, TIE/wi

1 charge, recurring.

When you become the defender, if the attacker is in your <mobile arc>, you may spend 1 charge. If you do, the attacker gains 1 jam token.

Gunner leans into jam-as-stealth. It'll still die to massed fire. Since it's limited to the mobile arc, the pilot will need to think carefully about those red rotates.

And Kylo's special TIE:

Kylo Ren's TIE (title/config)

First Order, TIE/wi

Gain a 4-die bullseye arc primary.

Gain purple boost.

After you perform an action, you may perform a purple boost action.

Between the bullseye requirement and the purple actions, you'll really want to give this to Kylo. Evade-jam-boost-Force would be extremely powerful, so boost always costs Force.

This should have just been designed as configurations to the Silencer and SF. Sadly, it's going to be a hot mess of chassis redundancy for the faction. A forward / back turret 3 primary and agility interceptor dial backed by an init 5 force user? Better make the TIE Defender look cheap... 

I’m thinking the cloaking can work as something like taking “At the Start of Engagement you may take a Deplete token to increase Agility by 1. If you are hit during the turn, go back to your normal Agility.” 

That would give it a conditional Cloaking Device that leverages the new Deplete mechanic. It also makes sense (diverting energy to cloaking).

1 less shield and Jam with a Turret (2 dice rear) and red rotate. 

Edited by Darth Wrath