Darth Meanie

Dear FFG, The Next Time You Make An Aces Pack

On 2/13/2020 at 6:03 PM, Okapi said:

You really only need one dial for a wing, until you decide to break the off, which you probably won't until you've lost a couple anyway.

Actually, I find that intentionally breaking off one ship from the wing can be great to avoiding obstacles with wings while also providing a good blocker for the enemy.

I was flying Inferno Squadron as a 4 wing the other day and I wanted to do a 2 bank to bring firing arcs to bear, but it meant that Del Meeko would have been rocked. So I broke him off, had him do a 4 forward and barrel roll. Ended up blocking a K-turn from an X-Wing squadron headed by Luke and the end position for Inferno Squad allowed them to just light up that X-Wing squadron. Was quite cool actually.

On 2/14/2020 at 2:51 AM, Darth Meanie said:

Then again, the whole point of this thread is to tell FFG, "Hey, we are all cool with Base/No Card."  And from the response to my OP, I'd say the response is overall pretty positive.

While I do see what your saying, and your suggestion isn't a bad idea at all. It does potentially snowball. We the vocal people on the forum might be okay with Base/No Card...but what about Johnny who picks up the Hotshots and Aces 2 pack, notices that on one side it says Tyber Zahn and the other it says Black Sun Ace...but he only has a Tyber Zahn pilot card?

He might think he's got a defective pack and be angry, return it to get a new one, resulting in a waste of his time. Or if he is a forum lurker and not really someone who engages a lot he might do exactly what you do. Come on the forums and say:

"Hey FFG. Is it too much to ask to include pilot cards for the generics that match the back of the new named pilots inside the Hotshots and Aces 2 card pack. I picked up the pack but I can't field a Black Sun Ace as I only have 2 pilot cards and now 3 bases."

Again, its only me playing devils advocate. I don't think your idea is stupid, but the knock-on effect could lead to someone else making a similar argument for the generic pilot cards, not unreasonable for what is advertised as a card and 'reinforcement' pack. This then means the amount of cards in the packs double, meaning the packs get larger, possibly resulting in a price increase. I dunno. However, there is the potential for a knock-on effect.

I feel it was sensible to go with "Well, we only give you this pilot card, so here is a base card for this pilot."

On 2/14/2020 at 2:51 AM, Darth Meanie said:

I also do not accept this.  Two threads later, the X-Wing community has a new policy for Convention Repaints.

What's the policy? I've not heard of this.

2 hours ago, Ebak said:

While I do see what your saying, and your suggestion isn't a bad idea at all. It does potentially snowball. We the vocal people on the forum might be okay with Base/No Card...but what about Johnny who picks up the Hotshots and Aces 2 pack, notices that on one side it says Tyber Zahn and the other it says Black Sun Ace...but he only has a Tyber Zahn pilot card?

Well, he'd better already have the expac for the ship Tyber Zahn flies, or the whole **** thing is useless.  Which means he has a Black Sun Ace card at home.  And maybe a BSA from his CK.

The card pack is NOT COMPLETE from the get go. . .

Again, no option is perfect, but Generic Base/No Card seems like a Win/Win for Cost/Versatility.

2 hours ago, Ebak said:

What's the policy? I've not heard of this.

Repaints went from being ONLY available in limited numbers to convention attendees to being available online at the FFG store ONLY for the weekend of the convention to anyone who orders.  How limited those quantities are is yet to be seen.

Still, LOTS more folks can get a repaint, and it is still limited edition.