Darth Meanie

Dear FFG, The Next Time You Make An Aces Pack

I have a different request for the next Aces pack:

For some reason, we got two copies of Coaxium Hyperfuel in the pack. This, despite the being exactly one ship in the game with a SLAM action and an Illicit slot, and it's the ship CHF confess with. Even if they put out another ship like that, it's highly unlikely that ship wouldn't also get Coaxium.

Meanwhile, Deuterium Power Cells came out in the same wave. It can be used in almost every FO ship. And it's only available in Vonreg's TIE. 

3 hours ago, PhantomFO said:

Meanwhile, Deuterium Power Cells came out in the same wave. It can be used in almost every FO ship. And it's only available in Vonreg's TIE. 

I believe that the intent behind the pack was to supply factions with cards that they couldn't otherwise obtain without buying outside their own faction.

Sticking Coaxium in is future-proofing. No-one else can use it *yet*, but my gut would say that there must be an upgrade which grants a SLAM action somewhere in the pipeline (the return of Burnout SLAM, perhaps?). Rather than clutter future expansions with reprints of Coaxium, they shoved it in here. Same with Magpulse Charges; it doesn't have any factional restrictions, so they slung it into the pack.

Deuterium Power Cells, however, are a FO-only card. It isn't unreasonable to assume that FO players would be buying Vonreg's TIE, so they don't need to supply copies of it elsewhere.

17 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

. . .I don't need a reversible Gina Moonsong base.  I need a Generic Pilot on the backside to make of for a lack of extra tiles in the Conversion Kits.

Gina/Gina is 1/2 as useful as Gina/Dagger Squadron.

Yeah, they did that with all of the pilots in the pack.  They could’ve put a generic on the back of each just in case you needed it.  I just took a label printer and printed out the generic pilot name and initiative value onto the other side.  

I too was disappointed by this. Some of the conversion 'last minute edit' tiles did the same thing and that too was annoying. Armada notably also did this with there Squad Packs and Campaign Packs, and I found it annoying there as well.

I get that it's supposed to be a set of one off things, and uniques, and all that jazz. But even if all you did was throw us an extra pilot card to go with it, the value of the pack increases SOOO much, with no downside for the production. As it is, I just payed 70 some odd dollars for what I consider to not be worth enough to justify it, and will seriously impact my decision to buy future product that follows the same model.

Consider too that it would be silly to continue to upkeep the conversion packs on shelves indefinitely. If you took the time and effort in these Card Packs to put essentially mini conversion material out there, you would have a way to keep old product flowing back into the game as it becomes available in the third party market, and additionally in segmented pieces so players could tailor their conversion needs and model purchases to each other. Allowing the game to eventually cut off the need to print conversion material under such name entirely.

Alternatively, if you just wanted to throw out a little flair which is just fine by me and yes please I would like that very much and may actually consider buying the pack in multiple just for it: make generic cards for  ships/squads that don't exist yet. Like we got a new B-wing, so let's make it's reverse a Gold Squad B-wing for the lols. Functionally, make it identical to a Blue or Dagger Squad B-wing, points and all, whichever you want. But as a nice aesthetic and flavor nod, the player gets a single 'bonus' toy. Then in the future, if you design towards some flavor things and what not, you have a reason to go and get said toy if you didn't have it before workout feeling 'taxed' into buying it because one or two pills may be in your format. Or say you want a way to split generics on a ship with the same Init, but different upgrade incentives like the new Stabilized S-foil or not. Well, if you had two cards/tiles you could accomplish that. It would just be one more lever in the machine that they could use to really control the game, without actually doing much to interfere with release schedule.

Sadly, as far as I can tell, FFG never does product testing towards such examination, so will never catch things like this. They test mechanics, but seemingly never what is actually in the box, and does a player find it worth it. Oh well.