Sign in to follow this  
Stay OT Leader

[BLOG] Dr Sloanelove: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Qualified for Worlds

19 minutes ago, Zucch10 said:

Super awesome and congrats!

Ive been running the rac/5x academies version of Sloan much to the frustration of our local league.  Glad to see a Sloan swarm do work out there!

Same 😁

Same frustrations 😁😁

Think I might try your Sloane swarm. 

How do you feel about it compared to this version? 

Scarif Base Pilot (39)
Admiral Sloane (9)

Soontir Fel (53)
Elusive (3)
Hull Upgrade (7)

Academy Pilot (22)

Academy Pilot (22)

Academy Pilot (22)

Academy Pilot (22)
Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

It seems you don't like Lambda carrying Sloane? Would it be ok here with 4 AP and Soontir? 

2 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Think I might try your Sloane swarm. 

How do you feel about it compared to this version? 

Scarif Base Pilot (39)
Admiral Sloane (9)

Soontir Fel (53)
Elusive (3)
Hull Upgrade (7)

Academy Pilot (22)

Academy Pilot (22)

Academy Pilot (22)

Academy Pilot (22)
Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

It seems you don't like Lambda carrying Sloane? Would it be ok here with 4 AP and Soontir? 

There’s a version I looked at where you drop an Academy Pilot and those 22pts are the +22 you need to upgrade an Alpha to Soontir.

I think it weakens you a lot though.  Those Alphas are the MVP reasons why the list works.  Soontir becomes an obvious target, and one where the value you got from the kill is >the cost of two stress tokens.  You’re flipping the value equation of Sloane when you bring something like Soontir in.

9 hours ago, Stay OT Leader said:

There’s a version I looked at where you drop an Academy Pilot and those 22pts are the +22 you need to upgrade an Alpha to Soontir.

I think it weakens you a lot though.  Those Alphas are the MVP reasons why the list works.  Soontir becomes an obvious target, and one where the value you got from the kill is >the cost of two stress tokens.  You’re flipping the value equation of Sloane when you bring something like Soontir in.

Also curious about your thoughts on the halfway-compromise list I've seen:

Scarif Base Pilot (39)    
    Admiral Sloane (9)    

Saber Squadron Ace (36)    
    Crack Shot (1) 

Saber Squadron Ace (36)    
    Crack Shot (1)

Saber Squadron Ace (36)    
    Crack Shot (1)

Saber Squadron Ace (36)    
    Crack Shot (1)

Total: 196

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v8ZsZ200Z186X14WWY181X116WWY181X116WWY181X116WWY181X116WW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Naturally not quite as good against I5-6 aces, but it gets to play quad aces against all the swarmier lists out there, with defensive negation on top of offensive mods. Even matches well against Mace, Luminara, Little Ani, 5bro/7sis, etc.

Seems a stretch though.

Congrats on the awesome run! I think Sloane is underappreciated. I took her to LVO and went 4-2 with 4 x Alphas, 1 x Academy and an SBP with angled deflectors. I started off 0-2 after tough losses to Andrew Bunn's jedi list, and a Sinker swarm matchup I wasn't ready for, but climbed my way back to respectable and only missed the cut by 5 MOV. I tried the Lamba a couple times in practice and you're right, the speed of the list is it's main advantage, and the Reaper is best for keeping up with the interceptors. There's some lists you don't want to joust against, and the reaper/interceptors are fast enough to fly around the board edge and try to get the best engage. The Alpha interceptor is the best blocker in the game, the strikers can suck it, and that's the hill i'm willing to die on ;). 

6 hours ago, Makalu19 said:

Congrats on the awesome run! I think Sloane is underappreciated. I took her to LVO and went 4-2 with 4 x Alphas, 1 x Academy and an SBP with angled deflectors. I started off 0-2 after tough losses to Andrew Bunn's jedi list, and a Sinker swarm matchup I wasn't ready for, but climbed my way back to respectable and only missed the cut by 5 MOV. I tried the Lamba a couple times in practice and you're right, the speed of the list is it's main advantage, and the Reaper is best for keeping up with the interceptors. There's some lists you don't want to joust against, and the reaper/interceptors are fast enough to fly around the board edge and try to get the best engage. The Alpha interceptor is the best blocker in the game, the strikers can suck it, and that's the hill i'm willing to die on ;). 

Strikers vs Alphas really isn’t that close.  The Strikers need to be 30 really, it’s not right they cost the same.

3 hours ago, Porkchop Express said:

I want to give this a go, as it'w nice to see TIEs doing wrll outside a Howlrunner swarm.

How do you set up in deployment? Just put the Reaper in such a way it comes in behind the fighters and interceptors?

So entirely by chance I stumbled on an opening in my first ever game with the squad which I’ve used in every single game since.

Grab the biggest rock and stick it 2 from your baseline, about 2.5 from the side of the table.  Deploy like this... 

Vzx8uS8.jpg

Then bump the Reaper and blast the TIEs out, usually with bank boost on Intys and a barrel roll on the TIE that’s on the inside.

The Reaper next turn can bank & bank to head up the table if you’re fighting on the opponents half, or bank & turn to cut back if the enemy has tried to flank into your half.

Edited by Stay OT Leader

1 minute ago, Stay OT Leader said:

So entirely by chance I stumbled on an opening in my first ever game with the squad which I’ve used in every single game since.

Grab the biggest rock and stick it 2 from your baseline, about 2.5 from the side of the table.  Deploy like this... 

Vzx8uS8.jpg

Then bump the Reaper and blast the TIEs our, usually with back boost on Intys and a barrel roll on the TIE that’s on the inside.

The Reaper next turn can bank & bank to head up the table if you’re fighting on the opponents half, or bank & turn to cut back if the enemy has tried to flank into your half.

Thanks, I will give it a go!

9 hours ago, tampermagnitude said:

I hope Sloane doesn't become a thing in the meta, it's a guarantee of a miserable time whenever she's on the table.

It’s true, tho I had fun, not so sure about my opponent. Tho after the initial what just happened game, we reset he changed his approach and it was a much closer game