feltipern1

Anyone Else Enjoying the Fireball?

12 hours ago, Enigami said:

Nobody's brought up R1-J5, but I think that Crew slot has potential.

I did not notice that. Like R2-D2's Y-wing? Very nice.

I'm not sure who I'd put in there. The Resistance has some very nice crew. Rose jumps out as an easy source of target locks - but is rather expensive for what's essentially a Z-95 with delusions of grandeur.

I like - both narratively and mechanically - the idea of novice technician, making Bucket a command/support unit is cool too.

A Fireball squad is going to be rich in disarm tokens so Holdo might be really good - pass disarm tokens around so they end up on someone with no shot, or someone prepared to Explosion with Wings. Advanced SLAM means stress is likewise going to be plentiful.

13 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

6 seems like fun, but excessive in a competitive list. 2-3 I think might be the sweet spot. Enough that you can run heavier hitters while utilizing the Mechanics. More than that, and I think you cripple yourself against other lists. 3 might be best as it will be a decent deterrent for droids, 5X, and Fangs.

I'm not expecting it to win worlds, but don't underestimate massed 2-dice attacks, especially when the ship has the manoeuvrability to get in close for range 1 attacks and has the auto-damage splash to bypass damage mitigation. I've seen 'Zed's Dead' do very well at local events against what are supposed to be 'meta-defining' lists.

Hmm.. The comment about Bucket makes me wonder about extended stuff. BB Astromechs are nice and cheap, but for the aces, is there any mileage in R5-X3 - essentially an astromech collision detector? - since SLAM can take you through obstacles in a way boost or roll can't, it feels like something nice to have up your sleeve.

Looking forward to try this

Zizi Tlo (40)    
    Heroic (1)    
    Advanced Optics (4)    

Ship total: 45  Half Points: 23  Threshold: 2    

Poe Dameron (68)    
    Heroic (1)    
    R4 Astromech (2)    
    Integrated S-Foils (0)    

Ship total: 71  Half Points: 36  Threshold: 4    

Colossus Station Mechanic (26)    
    Deadman's Switch (2)    

Ship total: 28  Half Points: 14  Threshold: 3    

Kazuda Xiono (40)    
    Heroic (1)    
    R1-J5 (6)    
    Coaxium Hyperfuel (2)    
    Advanced SLAM (3)    
    Kaz's Fireball (2)    

Ship total: 54  Half Points: 27  Threshold: 3    

Total: 198    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Resistance&d=v8ZhZ200Z387X172WWW186Y231X172W5WW175WWWY380XWW93WWWY378X172WW312W310W104WW315&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Im still thinking on things like R5 instead of bucket for Kaz.

But these are 3 dangerous ships with one cheap ship that is going to be in the middle looking forward to explode, and if you dont shoot him he can always shoot back

This made it to top 16 at the UK system open: 

RZ-2 A-Wing: Zizi Tlo (47)
    + Heroic
    + Concussion Missiles
T-70 X-wing: Poe Dameron (91)
    + Outmaneuver
    + Proton Torpedoes
    + R4 Astromech
    + Integrated S-Foils
    + Black One (2)
Fireball: Kazuda Xiono (55)
    + Outmaneuver 
    + R5 Astromech 
    + Advanced SLAM 
    + Kaz's Fireball 

Total: 193

Sounds like I might need to consider picking up a second model if I can.  There's a few good ideas for multiples popping up here.

7 hours ago, Estarriol said:

Played against them twice just pre-Open. My take on them is that they are Fun, but not great. Lots of janky tricks that are hard to get your head around as an opponent who has never faced one, but so very fragile. 

I like janky tricks!  Always have.  It's no accident that my 2.0 factions are Scum, Resistance, and Separatist.

Edited by feltipern1

23 hours ago, 4N-DY said:

Fireball: Kazuda Xiono (55)
    + Outmaneuver 
    + R5 Astromech 
    + Advanced SLAM 
    + Kaz's Fireball 

Yeah. Outmanoeuvre feels like a really good choice given relatively low firepower and insane manoeuvrability. RZ-2 A-wings can't use it because of their swivel-mount guns, but a Fireball (or at least Kaz and Yeager) feel like good choices for it.  

On 2/11/2020 at 7:33 PM, Enigami said:

I know, right? I completely overlooked it many times while working out Fireball lists. J5+3PO I agree will likely be the star for Extended. In Hyperspace, J5 is limited to inferior PZ and Holdo for support builds, Informant for a blocker build, Novice Technician + title for a risky SLAM spam while still attacking build, and Korr + CC + AdvSLAM for being able to do something crazy once a game (such a shame it can't grab Panicked Pilot), so I'm not sure how well it'll do there.

I was racking over list for weeks before UK SOS and totally over looked this as well.

The interaction with Holdo is better than one might think. You can absorb some of you other ships red tokens but also you can give them your weapon disabled token for the slam. As this is an I1 they would have already fired so no downside 

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Yeah. Outmanoeuvre feels like a really good choice given relatively low firepower and insane manoeuvrability. RZ-2 A-wings can't use it because of their swivel-mount guns, but a Fireball (or at least Kaz and Yeager) feel like good choices for it.  

I dont really agree.

Outmanouver is to take advantage of your slams. But slams come at the cost of revealing damage card and to be clutchy kazuda wants to stay unharmed.

I think it goes better in Jarek, plus Jarek is ini5 pilot so you have more chances to outarc enemies

Jarek Yeager (33)    
    Outmaneuver (6)    
    R1-J5 (6)    
    Coaxium Hyperfuel (2)    
    Advanced SLAM (3)    

Ship total: 50  Half Points: 25  Threshold: 3    

Edited by HamStarooh

It's really cool, and fun to use - I've been on Kaz for a while now, hoping to pick up a second model next week and then try some double colossus lists. 

I think the issue that Kaz has is that he is in a spot for resistance that has a lot of really strong options. At 40-50 points you are in T-70 generic range, any of the A-Wings, I think the generics are a good shout - but without the native mods of the pods, you are trading the rerolls/jank of Finn or Rose for slam and a better dial. 

I definitely concur that the ship is really well designed though - that explosion with wings is amazing - though I am, right now trying to figure out why I always flip a hull breach. 

ETA - there is a stream of me flying a fireball at a casual club night. Not the best play you've ever seen, but we mic up both players and just chat about stuff as we play. 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/550467428

Edited by Dreadai

1 hour ago, Porkchop Express said:

I played vs one at SOS, and it had a suprising amount of cool and, more importantly, useful shenanigans. I now want to give it a go myself.

what does shenanigans mean¿

On 2/11/2020 at 3:22 PM, player3503606 said:

I've run a boatload of Resistance 5s. I'd be happy to participate in a thread on the archetype, and provide feedback. :)

YES. Resistance 5s and Republic 5s are my main lists and I would love a thread dedicated to this. Yeager has become one of my new favorite pilots. 

Bucket with Kaz's fireball, advanced slam and a Novice Technition. 38 points.

Slam, Advanced slam, THEN expose Damaged Sensor Array after getting your action. At the end of the round, novice technition repairs DSA, then has a chance to expose a damage card of Bucket's informed choice.

16 hours ago, Tyhar7 said:

I was racking over list for weeks before UK SOS and totally over looked this as well.

The interaction with Holdo is better than one might think. You can absorb some of you other ships red tokens but also you can give them your weapon disabled token for the slam. As this is an I1 they would have already fired so no downside 

Before you engage, you may choose another friendly ship at range 1-2. You may transfer to that ship 1 token of a type that ship does not have. That ship may transfer 1 token to you of a type you do not have.

I hadn't thought of how flexible Holdo is... Ditching the Disarm token without having to use Explosion with Wings is a cool enough trick on its own, but I'm not seeing ANYTHING in the rulebook that stops you from transferring a Cloak token either, which you could abuse to cloak any ship in the Resistance. Basically Scum's Vizago shenanigans but better, since the receiver doesn't require an Illicit upgrade, and you can even take the cloak token back. Just need Holdo in the list and a Cloaking Device Fireball.

Putting Holdo on a crew carrier ship with an equal or higher initiative ship in the list alongside a cloaking Fireball enables you to steal the Fireball's cloak, then have Holdo punt the Cloak to any ship that has already engaged, allowing Holdo's ship to shoot. This trick can really stack your first round of engagement. At low initiatives, you can make your Holdo carrier ridiculously durable and get cloak to a ship that would best benefit from decloak repositioning for the next round, and at high initiatives you could pass cloak to shield a ship before lower initiative enemies can shoot it.

Perhaps this trick could make the StarFortress good? A Cobalt (or Cat) is I1 and should generally be shooting last and benefiting from Cloak in just about any matchup, Edon can reposition and drop devices after maneuvering (the decloak and device drop does not happen in the same phase, it's legal!), and Paige with Cloaking Yeager and other I5+ ships, as long as your I5s engage first and aren't fighting all I6, can make sure an ace at risk is reinforced against incoming fire.

Edited by Enigami

26 minutes ago, Enigami said:

I hadn't thought of how flexible Holdo is... Ditching the Disarm token without having to use Explosion with Wings is a cool enough trick on its own, but I'm not seeing ANYTHING in the rulebook that stops you from transferring a Cloak token either, which you could abuse to cloak any ship in the Resistance. Basically Scum's Vizago shenanigans but better, since the receiver doesn't require an Illicit upgrade, and you can even take the cloak token back. Just need Holdo in the list and a Cloaking Device Fireball.

Putting Holdo on a crew carrier ship with an equal or higher initiative ship in the list alongside a cloaking Fireball enables you to steal the Fireball's cloak, then have Holdo punt the Cloak to any ship that has already engaged, allowing Holdo's ship to shoot. This trick can really stack your first round of engagement. At low initiatives, you can make your Holdo carrier ridiculously durable and get cloak to a ship that would best benefit from decloak repositioning for the next round, and at high initiatives you could pass cloak to shield a ship before lower initiative enemies can shoot it.

Perhaps this trick could make the StarFortress good? A Cobalt (or Cat) is I1 and should generally be shooting last and benefiting from Cloak in just about any matchup, Edon can reposition and drop devices after maneuvering (the decloak and device drop does not happen in the same phase, it's legal!), and Paige with Cloaking Yeager and other I5+ ships, as long as your I5s engage first and aren't fighting all I6, can make sure an ace at risk is reinforced against incoming fire.

I choose to believe this interaction is intended.

It's going to take hours to transfer cloak tokens to all the escape pods in the fleet, though. Better run away while you're doing it.

11 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

I choose to believe this interaction is intended.

It's going to take hours to transfer cloak tokens to all the escape pods in the fleet, though. Better run away while you're doing it.

Wait a minute, THAT was what Holdo was doing in TLJ! She needed a long space chase to set up those tokens. No wonder why she didn't tell Poe what she was doing, she didn't want Disney to realize this exploit (and the Hyperspace jump) and patch it before she was done! As a dirty Scum shenanigans player, she has earned my greatest respect.

I just realized that the same disarm trading tactics that the Fireball can exploit work for reloading on the StarFortress too. No need to decide whether you want bombs or to shoot this turn, just unload the disarm on somebody else and do both! Then of course there's the other support benefits like eating Ion tokens, being free to pick up unused focus tokens (how does reloading and shooting a modded primary in the same turn sound?), trading Target Locks, and naturally taking stress off of aces.

Edited by Enigami