Sign in to follow this  
Burgie1996

Let’s talk Dexter Drake

So, any thoughts on him worth sharing?

Hows his ability? His asset? What do we think his deck building requirements are?

Personally id love it if he was a mystic/rogue!

As with everyone who isn't Leo Anderson who has an ally as their unique asset (Promo Carolyn Fern, Ursula Downs), the problem is that while his signature ally is great, she will conflict with other allies. Mystic doesn't have that good an Ally selection but his ability means that the doom on Arcane Initiate and David Renfield is far less of a problem so they'll be very strong options, and upgrading into Twila Katherine Price is obviously an excellent choice. Additionally, if (as seems very likely) he has Rogue 0-2 as his off-class, he has further amazing options in the form of Leo de Luca and Dario el-Amin (plus some other good options such as Gregory Gry). Charisma is an option, certainly, and his ability does allow him to slide new assets into play to replace others, but I think that's more likely to be good for soak assets and used up items and spells, not expensive allies with good abilities that you want to keep in play.

His ability is pretty great, possibly even overpowered, and even manages to make Switchblade (0) worth considering ever (I probably still wouldn't, but it's an interesting interaction). But I do find him kind of uninspiring. As with a lot of mystics, I get the impression he'll seem like he could offer a lot of interesting and weird plays, but actually end up just being better off with Shrivelling/Sixth Sense and static willpower boosters and using his ability for the economy boost, and using his putative 0-2 Rogue off-class for another static booster, a few more economy options like Hot Streak (2) and Lucky Cigarette Case, and some extra action cards to use to just be a mystic with extra actions, particularly since he has a poorly balanced statline so going off-piste and doing anything other than using willpower to fight and investigate seems like a really poor plan (a similar problem to Leo Anderson, but he has access to a few other gimmicks at least). Still, playing the game purely optimally is pretty dull so I think you could have a decent amount of fun doing a proper "legerdemain" build, sneaking assets into play for some big plays.

That would honestly be disappointing. There's exactly three non-mystic rituals according to Arkham DB and they are all rogue (Borrowed Time and Double Double are the other two). Would both be interesting on a mystic (in fact, a mystic with Double Double sounds terrific), but come on he has to get Sleight of Hand as a stage magician.

21 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

That would honestly be disappointing. There's exactly three non-mystic rituals according to Arkham DB and they are all rogue (Borrowed Time and Double Double are the other two). Would both be interesting on a mystic (in fact, a mystic with Double Double sounds terrific), but come on he has to get Sleight of Hand as a stage magician.

He could get rituals *and* tricks.

Then again...at that point, he might as well just get access to all Rogue cards.

20 hours ago, Rejoinder said:

e could get rituals *and* tricks.

Then again...at that point, he might as well just get access to all Rogue cards.

On 2/12/2020 at 3:23 AM, Eldan985 said:

I agree that it would makes sense for him to be a rogue secondary and kind of a drag of he didn’t have access to certain rogue cards. If not, I was thinking trick, practiced and talent traits. The reason I asked if it was a possibility, is because it occurred to me that none of the other Novella released investigators has that classic 0-5 level and 0-2 level build, right? Marie, Norman, Silas, Carolyn. Is there anyone I’m missing? 

Edited by Mimi61

To be fair, Dexter doesn’t really need  sleight of hand with his ability. He probably is part Rogue but they honestly could make him anything and his ability pretty much covers the sleight of hand. I almost wouldn’t be surprised if he was mystic/guard because of the veteran trait. But being featured on haste makes it pretty doubtful.

I sort of love the idea of him using Molly to fetch him a firearm that he prestidigitates from a ritual candle to blast an unsuspecting cultist lol. “And for my next trick, BLAM!”

Edited by Soakman

It seems incredibly likely that he is just Mystic 0-5 Rogue 0-2. It’s possible he might have some kind of added thing involving traits (like Preston’s No-Illicit Restriction) but I don’t see any major issues with him having access to the full Rogue 0-2 card pool. Enchanted Blade is probably better than any of the Rogue weapons available to him anyway.

There are very few Rogue cards I would even consider using for him. Decoy, Intel Report, Lone Wolf. Double or Nothing, Watch This!.  Maybe Well Connected / Money Talks in some kind of money focused deck (Alchemical Transmutation, Easy Mark, Hot Streak, etc). Not much else jumps out at me.  Edit: maybe also Liquid Courage, Lucky Cigarette Case. I guess there’s a few but nothing amazing that feels like an auto-include.

From the Rogue XP cards, pretty much just Suggestion, Haste, and Easy Mark / Hot Streak jump out at me. Everything else is Agility-based or just not useful for a Mystic.

With 5 Willpower, his deck is going to look similar to Akachi or Agnes which are built almost entirely of Mystic cards with maybe 2-6 off-class cards.

Edited by Faranim

I'm happy to see Dexter, but I think he's ruined by his stat line. In my opinion, he should NOT be as proficient with magic as Akachi or Agnes. Since we know he was a soldier in the war, he should have Combat 4, Willpower 4. This would allow people to give him weapons rather than relying on Withering the way ALL other mystics do. 

It seems like it would have been much more fitting for him to use of the Slight of Hand Event to pop out a Derringer or something. But no... Instead, he'll be indistinguishable from Agnes, Akachi, Marie, etc. A waste of what could have been a more interesting character.