gredert

Why is this company so incompetant at stocking retailers?

5 hours ago, Reid133 said:

Still 3 gladiators available on Amazon for $23.96 plus shipping. Assault Frigate for $49 but it looks like there is only one. 

Where are you seeing gladiators for 23.96?  I just checked amazon and the only gladiator listing i see is for 39.99. 

10 hours ago, Reid133 said:

If anyone ever happens to see a light carrier let me know! 🤣

last time I checked there was one (in French) at my local store

mind the postage, though

14 hours ago, ninclouse2000 said:

Where are you seeing gladiators for 23.96?  I just checked amazon and the only gladiator listing i see is for 39.99. 

Try Atomic Empire. You can order Gladiators at that price and Assault Frigates at 31.96. I feel like with all of the Armada product you have to check every day in multiple places and even then still get lucky. 

Good to know FFG is still restocking. It was a shock returning to the game after a few years and finding everything unavailable. Now if only they didn't ship via UPS...

Edited by Mmotristan
Too much salt!

@gredert Where are you buying your Armada expansions?

You're not buying them from Amazon Canada, are you? Because their prices are ridiculous!

I own every Armada expansion and it wasn't difficult or exceedingly expensive for me to acquire them. There are numerous board game stores and online stores in my area that stock Armada and their prices are very competitive. TBH I don't know how they price them so low, because when the MSRP is converted from USD to CAD, they should be ~33% more expensive here in Canada, but they're only ~6% more. This seems unique to board game stores because I haven't observed this phenomenon with any other products in Canada.

I imagine that you must live in a different region of Canada than me and your local stores are struggling to source Armada expansions. That's understandable because Armada expansions are currently sold out everywhere. They've been sold out locally since Black Friday and Christmas sales, and haven't been restocked. Before those big sales, the board game stores and sites that I buy from had most Armada expansions in stock.

The Armada stock shortage currently seems to be a problem all over North America. Therefore, it must be a supplier problem. Presumably, FFG or Asmodee didn't order reprints of Armada products and now there's a shortage. Unfortunately, since FFG changed the Upcoming section of their website, we no longer have insight into what is scheduled to be reprinted, what's being reprinted, and what's on the way.

For example, the Imperial Light Cruiser (Arquitens) was sold out for over a year. At the same time the Starhawk and Onager were released, all of the board game stores and sites in my area were restocked with the ILC. I bought two immediately and picked them up with my Starhawk and Onager. The ILC wasn't listed on the Upcoming page, it just suddenly reappeared in stores. And now they're all gone again.

Unless FFG found a pallet full ILC expansions that was hiding in their warehouse, they must have reprinted the ILS expansions without listing them on the Upcoming page. It's possible that more Armada restocks are on their way but we aren't aware of them. There's no way to know.

FFG and Asmodee need to do a better job at restocking Armada. Armada's popularity will wane if there aren't products on the shelves. Since the Starhawk and Onager were released, I've witnessed a sharp rise in the number of Armada players who have shown up at Wargames night at my LGS. It's definitely a "If you build it, they will come" phenomenon.

Edited by Reavern

Yeah, I feel like they've been hedging their bets, afraid that popularity will wane at any moment so they don't print a lot of ships. That mentality would be a self fulfilling prophecy however. People are going to get tired of waiting for more ships and stop playing so it's better to print a lot and possibly be left with un-purchased product than tick off your fan base so that it stops purchasing future product. Get a better business sense Fantasy Flight; the momentum is with you here. Being overly cautious can bite you in the behind. 

On another note, I wonder if Corona virus outbreaks in China are going to affect future production.

3 hours ago, RG1701 said:

Yeah, I feel like they've been hedging their bets, afraid that popularity will wane at any moment so they don't print a lot of ships. That mentality would be a self fulfilling prophecy however. People are going to get tired of waiting for more ships and stop playing so it's better to print a lot and possibly be left with un-purchased product than tick off your fan base so that it stops purchasing future product. Get a better business sense Fantasy Flight; the momentum is with you here. Being overly cautious can bite you in the behind. 

On another note, I wonder if Corona virus outbreaks in China are going to affect future production.

Covid-19 will definitely effect production of everything being made in China -- which is basically everything these days. #globalization

On the bright side, there aren't new Waves for Armada in 2020, so new expansions won't be delayed. Only possible restocks will be delayed.

If FFG announces anything new for Armada in 2020, it will probably be during GenCon at the end of July. It could be Wave 9. Or, if the rumours are true, FFG could announce Clone Wars Armada. That's what I'm hoping for.

But, with Covid-19 delays, whatever FFG's plans are for Armada, they'll be delayed until 2021.

49 minutes ago, Reavern said:

Or, if the rumours are true, FFG could announce Clone Wars Armada. That's what I'm hoping for.

It's not a rumor.  Gencon's 2019 panel confirmed it was in the works, to be released at the end of 2020.

A date they won't meet, of course.

Edit: ninja'd!

Edited by The Jabbawookie

1 hour ago, Formynder4 said:

They already did, last March at Adepticon. With a release goal of 2020Q4.

Ok, not a "rumour" but I meant an official announcement and reveal with prototype minis to show, like FFG did at GenCon 2018 with the SSD, and GenCon 2019 with the Starhawk and Onager. I expect they're waiting for GenCon 2020 to reveal Clone Wars Armada -- even if it will be delayed from their planned release date Q4 2020.

Since Clone Wars Armada will almost certainly be delayed until 2021, I liked the idea about having a Kickstarter for Clone Wars Armada (I think I heard the idea on a Crabbok video). I know that FFG is a well-established board game developer, so they don't really "need" to do a Kickstarter campaign, but CMON and Awaken Realms don't need Kickstarter either, and they do them for all their new board games.

The reason why I love the idea of Kickstarting Clone Wars Armada is because FFG would put all of their cards on the table for the Kickstarter campaign, in the form of Stretch Goals. The campaign would reveal the Clone Wars core set, and the Stretch Goals would presumably reveal future Waves. I would want to see it ALL! And I'd want the option to pledge for it ALL, right from the start. I'm used to doing this for Kickstarter board games and dropping $300-500 on something I won't get for 1-2 years. I know it's different than what Armada fans are used to, but it's old hat for Kickstarter backers.

TBH I like paying in advance because I kinda forget how much I spent (because it's in the past) and when that big box is delivered to my home, it's like opening a giant gift on Christmas morning!

Whereas if I have to go to my LGS and spend $200+ on the Clone Wars core set and other Wave 1 expansions, I'm more conscious of the money I'm spending -- that's no fun, and it's a hassle carting it back home. I definitely buy less at the store when it's released than I would buy during a Kickstarter campaign. I wouldn't even blink at buying 2 core sets, at least 2 of every ship expansion (that wasn't in the core set), and 4 of each fighter squadron pack. Buying it all up front is much better than buying one of each item at release, then deciding that I want more, but the expansions are sold out, and won't be restocked for a year. That sucks! 😡 #FirstWorldProblems

Also, a Kickstarter campaign would probably offer premium accessories, like special dice sets, alternate art cards, playmats, and premium tokens and tools. Imagine if there was an option for Clone Wars Armada without any cardboard. Everything would be painted plastic or perhaps metal. Imagine ship bases and shield dials that never wore out and range tools that never bent. Imagine being able to buy the plastic tokens that normally are Organized Play exclusive prizes, and have enough of them for every single ship. Last year, I backed the Kickstarter for Company of Heroes: The Board Game, and they offered metal miniatures. Imagine if FFG gave us the option for metal Clone Wars ship and squadron miniatures. This is my dream -- and it would be possible in a Kickstarter.

Also, the benefit of Kickstarter is that FFG will know exactly what fans' appetites are for Clone Wars Armada. They will know precisely the amount of core sets and expansion packs they need to manufacture to fulfill the pledges, so there's no risk of them over-producing and getting stuck with products they can't sell. It seems like a very sound business proposition.

TBH I just want to see and know everything about Clone Wars Armada ASAP. A Kickstarter campaign would reveal basically everything I want to know. FFG won't scare me off if they revealed Waves 1-5 of Clone Wars Armada and promised it was all coming in 2021.

However, if FFG isn't interested in Kickstarter, and instead chose to announce Clone Wars Armada tomorrow, I'd be cool with that too. 😁

Edited by Reavern
Corrections and additions

Well if it makes everyone feel better they cancelled my order for some reason and the price went up. I have an email into them to see what is going on. 

On 2/23/2020 at 3:10 PM, RG1701 said:

If I were to guess, I'd say that FFG likely has some print run minimum that they like to hit.  Say 25k copies of something.  They probably wait until they have close to that many orders from retailers before even putting it in the production queue.  But since they only have one production facility they work with, it's just one big queue that included all their other miniature and boardgame IPs also.  So then the new addition to the queue is already going to be a 6 month wait.  Then they end up bumping certain items up due to demand, new releases, or to match the paper product production line.  So that can end up delaying things another 3 months.  Then you end up with strikes, supply chain issue, holidays, pandemics, weather events, acts of god, and you delay things another month or two.  Pretty soon you end up with no product on the shelves for up to a year.  This then causes hording and reselling when it finally comes back into stock only causing the stock to run out super quick and FFG restarting the whole process.

They don't want to hold on to a huge amount of stock in warehouses.  They don't want to order twice what they know they can move.  So they end up in this vicious cycle of stock problems.

The corona virus is going to mess with their supply chain for a long time.  Factory shutdowns, shipping issues, raw material supply issues.  It's going to disrupt current production for months, which will ripple forward causing everything else to be delayed.  The effects could be felt up to a year in the future pretty easily.

9 hours ago, kmanweiss said:

If I were to guess, I'd say that FFG likely has some print run minimum that they like to hit.  Say 25k copies of something.  They probably wait until they have close to that many orders from retailers before even putting it in the production queue.  But since they only have one production facility they work with, it's just one big queue that included all their other miniature and boardgame IPs also.  So then the new addition to the queue is already going to be a 6 month wait.  Then they end up bumping certain items up due to demand, new releases, or to match the paper product production line.  So that can end up delaying things another 3 months.  Then you end up with strikes, supply chain issue, holidays, pandemics, weather events, acts of god, and you delay things another month or two.  Pretty soon you end up with no product on the shelves for up to a year.  This then causes hording and reselling when it finally comes back into stock only causing the stock to run out super quick and FFG restarting the whole process.

They don't want to hold on to a huge amount of stock in warehouses.  They don't want to order twice what they know they can move.  So they end up in this vicious cycle of stock problems.

The corona virus is going to mess with their supply chain for a long time.  Factory shutdowns, shipping issues, raw material supply issues.  It's going to disrupt current production for months, which will ripple forward causing everything else to be delayed.  The effects could be felt up to a year in the future pretty easily.

But surely they have some limited production capacity outside of where the corona virus is In the US.

8 hours ago, XR8rGREAT said:

But surely they have some limited production capacity outside of where the corona virus is In the US.

Unfortunately surely not, other than perhaps prototype/3d printing. They used to be able to do cards in house, maybe still can, but never models AFAIK.

8 hours ago, XR8rGREAT said:

As stated:  Their in-house production is Cards and Mats only, and potentially outsourced acrylics.

Plastic and Paint is 100% China, in the specific factories they invested money in upgrading for that very purpose.

2 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

As stated:  Their in-house production is Cards and Mats only, and potentially outsourced acrylics.

Plastic and Paint is 100% China, in the specific factories they invested money in upgrading for that very purpose.

3 hours ago, TheBigLev said:

Unfortunately surely not, other than perhaps prototype/3d printing. They used to be able to do cards in house, maybe still can, but never models AFAIK.

I suppose that’s what happens when all your eggs are in one basket. Maybe some good will come from this.