Sign in to follow this  
Boom Owl

Hyped About X-Wing Again Because Hyperspace Is Amazing

7 minutes ago, Jyico said:

I'm really looking forward to how this format plays out.  I'm very much a fan of changing things up, and learning to fly all kinds of stuff!  

Well, here's the thing; this format will never play out.  Because just when you think you've got all the answers, FFG changes the questions!

31 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

It's a @Boom Owl topic - what do you think?!

No idea; I haven't gathered enough data.  However, based on the current imperfect picture, I'd say...yes?  As far as I can tell, @Boom Owl likes a bit of confrontation here and there.

12 minutes ago, Jyico said:

I'm really looking forward to how this format plays out.  I'm very much a fan of changing things up, and learning to fly all kinds of stuff!  

Me too.  I've been limiting myself to building Hyperspace lists precisely because the restrictions are in place.  I'm interested in seeing what happens.

I like Hyperspace because I find that extended, as currently costed, undercuts the promise that 2.0 was less about stacking passive mods and bringing the right cards, and more about setting dials and in-game decisions.

Hyperspace, conversely, feels like a 3.0 that does a lot more of the things 2.0 promised to do. It's the best X-Wing has ever been, imo, with the runner up (2.0, pre-wave 3 hyperspace) being almost a distant memory by now.

The way Fangs are designed means that a format where Fangs are good is a good format. That Ace+Squad archetypes are good in like every faction is the cherry on top.

I'm sort of lukewarm, I guess? I'm a Scum player that doesn't fly Boba Fenn, or Fangs much at all, and it's hard to find Hyperspace Scum lists that look appealing to me. I get Cgriffith's issue with Hyperspace, for those with smaller Extended collections it could be really hard or even impossible for them to build a viable list they enjoy without having to spend more money.

I do enjoy having another format that shakes things up and forces players to step out of their comfort zone though. Since my go-to Scum stuff like Seevor and StarVipers are out of the picture for now, I've been looking at other stuff like Resistance for the first time ever (despite having them in 1.0 and 2.0 all this time) and seriously taking a look at Fangs and Firesprays. Though maybe I'll just get my hands on a couple more Snap Shots and fly a Laetin+Surveyor Snap Shot swarm. Up to 12 shots a turn with a tanky Ion Laetin looks deliciously evil 😈

I am also a huge fan of HYPErspace, especially as one of two competitive formats, but at the same time I would not prefer to see it as the worlds format; Extended is the true measure of overall game balance, and Extended certainly has the "pull out all the stops" feel that I prefer for the #1 X-Wing event of the year.

I've heard this old phrase called "Don't knock it till you've tried it."

I think Extended can be balanced. I think it's closer to balance than ever before. I highly doubt last season's premier lists could make it in the current points costs. I prefer it as a format. But of course, I can't prove it, because I have no reference data, because no one will freaking play it.

All these people pronouncing the Extended meta as totally dead or nothing but a rehash of last season make me very, very sad.

giphy.gif

Edited by ClassicalMoser

I would prefer if extended were balanced as well.  Unfortunately, the January point change did very little to address the top of the power curve.

I understand the trepidation of dropping points on generics and also raising the cost of top Aces.  There would have been a riot.

In the meantime, I'm digging hyperspace.  Some of my faves are gone but so are most of my nightmare match-ups.

Can we get a quick hyperspace hotfix to drop discord missiles from the format though please?

24 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Me to. I dont think thats actually possible though without soft banning a ton of cards via points. 

Or increasing options for counterplay that make even chassis with extreme maneuverability require actual skill to use.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

30 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

I would prefer if extended were balanced as well.  Unfortunately, the January point change did very little to address the top of the power curve.

I understand the trepidation of dropping points on generics and also raising the cost of top Aces.  There would have been a riot.

I suspect it had more to do with how hard it would be for FFG to properly assess the changes if they hit the generics and Aces at the same time.

For example, let's say they did nerf Aces in general in January, and now things have swung too far the other way, generics have taken over completely and no aces see play anywhere. How would FFG have been able to tell where they went wrong -- did they buff the generics too much, or nerf the Aces too much? By only doing one thing at a time, they can assess the impact of the change properly, then make another set of informed decisions in May/June.

2 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Or increasing options for counterplay that make even chassis with extreme maneuverability require actual skill to use.

What if I told you it's not just 2x reposition regen aces that are a problem in extended?

Edited by miguelj

7 hours ago, svelok said:

I like Hyperspace because I find that extended, as currently costed, undercuts the promise that 2.0 was less about stacking passive mods and bringing the right cards, and more about setting dials and in-game decisions.

If we're being fair though in a game with this much versatility in ship choices and upgrade options there will always be a handful of combinations that stand out over the rest, no matter much time you spend trying to balance it just right. Just ideally it can be balanced enough that other non stand out lists still have a chance at competing, they'll only be at a small disadvantage. Something with like 40/60 odds as opposed to the 10/90 odds youd have had playing an off meta list in 1.0.

At least with hyperspace it's a new puzzle everytime to figure it out and hopefully just as people are cracking the code on which combinations are the best standouts it all gets shuffled again. 

2 hours ago, miguelj said:

What if I told you it's not just 2x reposition regen aces that are a problem in extended?

Oh, you mean like passive force mods, 4-dice attacks, maneuver-changing shenanigans, ignoring obstacles, and nearly-effortless free rerolls and/or extra dice?

But those are all in Hyperspace too.

The only thing Extended has that doesn't exist in Hyperspace is pre-maneuver repositioning. But in the first place it's priced out of core viability into fringe viability (as it should be) and in the second place there's a lot of counterplay to it that didn't exist in viable lists before.