Sign in to follow this  
XCoconutMonkey06X

GenCon Scenario

So I am going out on a limb and am going to assume FFG will have some sort of Champions event at GenCon. Has anyone speculated as to what? In the past, it feels like they have gone towards bigger co-op groups with Lotr and Arkham and their 12-ish player quests. I wonder if they will try the same for Champions? Maybe like a Galactus event or something.

2 hours ago, Hyperjayman said:

A preview of the story box would be nice. But at best we might get a preview of the Hulk hero pack, even though we aren’t suppose to know he’s the hero pack after Dr Strange.

You do know that Hulk and the Story Box will both be out by the time Gencon happens this year, right?

15 hours ago, Hyperjayman said:

A preview of the story box would be nice. But at best we might get a preview of the Hulk hero pack, even though we aren’t suppose to know he’s the hero pack after Dr Strange.

Hulk = June

Story box = July

GenCon = August

10 minutes ago, XCoconutMonkey06X said:

Gencon is technically in July. The butt end of July, but July none the less, lol. Still trying to see who I need to give blood to in order to get the X-Men in this game.

Unless you think the Story Box is going to come out on the 31st, then it will already be out when GenCon starts.

My hope is that they have some kind of GenCon event planned like they do for Arkham.

8 minutes ago, sverigesson said:

Unless you think the Story Box is going to come out on the 31st, then it will already be out when GenCon starts.

My hope is that they have some kind of GenCon event planned like they do for Arkham.

That was the point of my initial post. Hoping for some sort of larger player count "quest". Last year's Arkham was like that with the Blob. Course, with the limited hero pool, it might be difficult. But it would be cool to assemble the Avengers to take on some massive global threat.

5 hours ago, XCoconutMonkey06X said:

That was the point of my initial post. Hoping for some sort of larger player count "quest". Last year's Arkham was like that with the Blob. Course, with the limited hero pool, it might be difficult. But it would be cool to assemble the Avengers to take on some massive global threat.

It was a few years in before Arkham started doing the crazy epic scenarios, and LOTR has backed off them recently in favor of the new competitive modules.  While I don't think the hero pool is going to be a huge problem (epic scenarios are multiple groups of 4 with uniqueness applying only within those groups) I think we'll get a more standard scenario to kick things off this year.

On 2/14/2020 at 1:23 PM, DatonKallandor said:

I mean a scenario where there's exactly one of each released hero would be the obvious choice. Like a proper "All the Avengers" scenario.

Would make for an interesting Thanos quest. I would be super hyped for that!

On 2/14/2020 at 10:23 AM, DatonKallandor said:

I mean a scenario where there's exactly one of each released hero would be the obvious choice. Like a proper "All the Avengers" scenario.

This won't happen, sorry.

You're going to have a few hundred people showing up with their own decks.  There won't be any reliable coordination beforehand - even if they put out instructions, people won't read them.  Building groups at the beginning of the event needs to be as minimal as possible for time (and sanity) reasons.  You're not going to see any specific build restrictions.

55 minutes ago, Buhallin said:

This won't happen, sorry.

You're going to have a few hundred people showing up with their own decks.  There won't be any reliable coordination beforehand - even if they put out instructions, people won't read them.  Building groups at the beginning of the event needs to be as minimal as possible for time (and sanity) reasons.  You're not going to see any specific build restrictions.

While true, they have had success with the LOTR and AH events and those are limited by who plays which heroes/investigators. To the point where people show up with at least 2 decks, just in case. 

1 minute ago, XCoconutMonkey06X said:

While true, they have had success with the LOTR and AH events and those are limited by who plays which heroes/investigators. To the point where people show up with at least 2 decks, just in case. 

True enough - but you won't see additional restrictions on group comp.  While many people do show up with multiple decks, not everyone does and it's not a requirement.  "I'm playing Daisy so need to find 3 other people who aren't playing Daisy" is a far cry from "Every group needs to have Black Panther in it".

12 hours ago, ozradio said:

I thought 4-player was tedious, I can't imagine 8 or 10 players. There'd have to be a real twist to make it not a slog.

In some LOTR LCG big multiplayer games, they have the players broken down into smaller groups and each group is facing a different "stage" that at the end of the round, all interact depending on the status/advancement. So you are heavily invested in your pod but also interested in the others because their performance indirectly (or sometimes directly) affects your future progress.

8 hours ago, XCoconutMonkey06X said:

In some LOTR LCG big multiplayer games, they have the players broken down into smaller groups and each group is facing a different "stage" that at the end of the round, all interact depending on the status/advancement. So you are heavily invested in your pod but also interested in the others because their performance indirectly (or sometimes directly) affects your future progress.

As far as I know this is how all the various Epic games work.  They haven't yet had a scenario that puts more than 4 players into a single group - the groups just affect and potentially interact with each other (Labyrinths of Lunacy), or all work towards a shared goal (Blob That Ate Everything).