Sign in to follow this  
Cgriffith

Losing interest: Hyperspace is stale, and I’m uninterested

3 hours ago, Cgriffith said:

I understand what’s available, and unfortunately some players only do play certain factions/pilots. I myself am one of them. It’s Rey, Anakin or Darth Vader or nothing. Thanks for the thoughtful response though.

I pretty much only play Delta Anakin or Vader in tournament lists. Just my favourite character.

So i completely feel your pain.

Vader is "ok" in HS. 

But yeah, the limited format can feel stale. And you saying your group is very competitive orientated probably exacerbates things.

Ultimately, this is a game. If you are not having fun, do something else. 

Edited by Darth Seridur

@Cgriffith

Hey! I hope everything is going well in MD. That meta was fun and I totally agree that Hyperspace is stupid.

I really want to play certain lists that aren't playable in Hyperspace. In a competitive meta everyone wants to practice for what format tournaments will be held in. Unfortunately FFG has decided that Hyperspace is going to be the most common, which means competitive players will mostly want to practice that format. Multiple competitive formats sounds like a great idea in theory, but it unfortunately fractures the community. This is fine if you have a ton of people showing up weekly to play because you can likely find people who will want to play extended, but if you have a small community who want to practice for the tournaments that they drive an hour or two to attend (like the NOVA area), then the extra formats don't work.

Edited by Hoffburger

2 hours ago, Cgriffith said:

I want to be able to enjoy everything I like about the game (pilots/ships) and unfortunately my local community (as stated before are hyper competitive travelers) and the restrictions of Hyperspace are not allowing me to enjoy the game anymore. 

I don't understand how that answers the question: what do you expect from this thread? How can we help you to enjoy the game again?

It is a good question that you should ask yourself. There was an example last Wednesday where @FatherTurin approached it with a very open mind and left the thread happier than he started. I know you are aware of it because you even commented yourself. That example makes @Stay OT Leader's comment about your attitude very on point, even if a bit rude in its bluntness.

Is it a problem of other players not willing to play against your extended list? Would it solve your problems if they were?

Is it you who's not willing to try new things? To give Vader an actual shot? To add a new pilot to your favorites? To go on with your CLT list?

If it is just the ship: why does the rebel Falcon not work for you? Why is a clt Jedi not fun enough? Why can't you keep going with Vader?

You don't have to answer these for me, but maybe think about them. It sounds to me that you are not telling us the whole story, or that you are not aware of the whole story yourself :). If you want a falcon but also force, then you have Leia. If you want gloomy looking triple aces then first order should do the trick.

The more you realize what exactly you are missing, the better you are able to find a substitute.

I have been summoned.

Seriously though, I was in a similar boat.  A lot of the Republic stuff I loved got the axe, and I was disillusioned by the incredibly limited options I felt were available.  I’ve played a couple games since then, and to be entirely honest, for the most part I’m sticking with resistance for most Hyperspace games.

That being said, there is still plenty to love in Hyperspace for the Republic.  CLT Jedi will never feel as good as 7B, but they are still fun and force you to rethink how you were flying, it’s like getting a whole new ship.  I’ve always liked Y-Wings, so that’s something to fall back on, and Wolffe is still one of the best pieces in the faction.  And when all else fails, there’s extended, epic, or Aces High.

If literally no one in your local group is willing to play extended, then that does suck, but we aren’t too far away from the LAAT (hopefully) and another Hyperspace cycle this summer. 

Once again, I’ve been there, and the options that are there don’t really take away the sting of Republic getting hit SO hard this time around.  But an open mind goes a long way.  As do 5 A-Wings, but that’s neither here nor there.  Now that we see what hyperspace is really going to be like, I think having a second faction is absolutely necessary, if one gets slammed, odds are the other isn’t hit quite as hard.

23 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Is it a problem of other players not willing to play against your extended list? Would it solve your problems if they were?

No it’s that my local area only plays Hyperspace right now, and unfortunately (as you mention my CLT lists) I feel don’t represent the play style I prefer and i don’t think anyone wouldn’t not play my extended lists except for the format everyone week after week continues to agree upon with no flexibility.

Heres a secret all my lists (Republic) are made with CLT Jedi I like having 3 green dice as the base; I’ve never played 7B.

Is it you who's not willing to try new things? To give Vader an actual shot? To add a new pilot to your favorites? To go on with your CLT list?

I’m not willing to fly anything that doesn’t have Anakin, Darth Vader or Rey in the list. (Yes those pilots could also be a crew or gunner if applicable in some cases) Sorry, new favorites? Anakin Skywalker is my favorite character Rey is second I got into this game because I had the ability to fly those iconic (Darth Vader) in his x/1 not just because it’s Star Wars.

If it is just the ship: why does the rebel Falcon not work for you? Why is a clt Jedi not fun enough? Why can't you keep going with Vader?

See answer above. I have no issues with CLT Jedi I do have an issue with the other tools being offered in Hyperspace to play with those CLT Jedi (specifically Anakin) immediately after Republic released I was a Palp Aces player with Republic obviously that list has disappeared. Someone earlier in the thread suggested Y-Wing Anakin everyone knows he just isn’t playable in any format. 

In regards to this when it was suggested I immediately tried to make a list I thought would be fun, and I can’t if I could I’d try it but putting 70-75 points into a Y-Wing is not smart list making nor an affective approach. It’d become target priority 

You don't have to answer these for me, but maybe think about them. It sounds to me that you are not telling us the whole story, or that you are not aware of the whole story yourself :). If you want a falcon but also force, then you have Leia. If you want gloomy looking triple aces then first order should do the trick.

I’m fully aware and have tried Kylo/Vonreg combos a few times (Kylo being the Skywalker in the list) as a Vader substitute. It’s alright it appears I need to walk away from the game, many here are dead set on just hyper competitive X-Wing.

I'm done commenting in this thread. I see this is just other posters attacking my personal opinion 

Edited by Cgriffith
Additional response

8 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

I’m not willing to fly anything that doesn’t have Anakin, Darth Vader or Rey in the list.

8 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

It’s alright it appears I need to walk away from the game, many here are dead set on just hyper competitive X-Wing.

Just to confirm: you are so dead set on your three favorite pilots that you rather quit than try something else?

Just take a break. I barely played between September and January myself. In just as much time we'll likely get a rotation and you might have at least one of them in a list you enjoy. Otherwise, if you're so set on your choice: that's your choice.

Edited by GreenDragoon
January, not now. But the point is the same

7 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

I'm done commenting in this thread. I see this is just other posters attacking my personal opinion 

To be fair, you're not giving them much to go on. If your response to a lot of very reasonable answers is 'I don't care', then there's not much they can do - certainly not attacking your personal preference.

I feel your pain to a point - no Anakin or Rey makes me very sad to fly hyperspace. But I'm taking the opportunity to fly some other stuff, even if I don't like it as much. And extended remains an option. I suppose the question really is what could we possibly say that would make things better?

Also, why don't you fly Vader - he is Hyperspace legal.

3 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Technically four formats, if you include Aces High which sounds like a blast.

However, it takes two to tango, and if you're group is playing naught but Hyperspace for list testing / practice pursposes, then what do you do then?

Totally agree. Last Friday, My LGS has "Open" Play. the lead on the Facebook page stated that it was Extended, Hyper, Epic, whatever.  I Haven't played in 3 months, and made an Extended list  and a Hyperspace list which I just made for fun. Everyone there. (9) only played HS. I played my HS list which I was totally unfamiliar with. Needless to say, it was a NPE for me. 

7 minutes ago, Captain Mayhem said:

Totally agree. Last Friday, My LGS has "Open" Play. the lead on the Facebook page stated that it was Extended, Hyper, Epic, whatever.  I Haven't played in 3 months, and made an Extended list  and a Hyperspace list which I just made for fun. Everyone there. (9) only played HS. I played my HS list which I was totally unfamiliar with. Needless to say, it was a NPE for me. 

How was this different than if you had played an extended list you were completely unfamiliar with?

50 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

I’m not willing to fly anything that doesn’t have Anakin, Darth Vader or Rey in the list. (Yes those pilots could also be a crew or gunner if applicable in some cases) Sorry, new favorites? Anakin Skywalker is my favorite character Rey is second I got into this game because I had the ability to fly those iconic (Darth Vader) in his x/1 not just because it’s Star Wars.

I can sympathize with how it stinks to have one's three favorite ships cut out from the format.

Personally, I'm pro-Hyperspace most of the time, and the local meta is probably mostly Hyperspace, but even I start to feel a bit cramped now and again, and just want to bust out the Extended.

At least for me, I've found the best way to get in some games that I want is to be pretty willing to play with other folks in the games that they want.  Games are social and a two-way street.  I'd guess folks would be more willing to play Extended games against you (or at least against your Extended lists with their HS lists) more, if you did some number of HS games with them.

Edited by theBitterFig

1 hour ago, Cgriffith said:

I’m not willing to fly anything that doesn’t have Anakin, Darth Vader or Rey in the list.

In a game of 100+ options, that's one **** of a line in the sand you've drawn.

It's your right to draw it, but you can't really blame the game.

Personally, I would find limiting myself to 3 options the best way to make the game stale.

Edited by Darth Meanie

17 minutes ago, Mattman7306 said:

How was this different than if you had played an extended list you were completely unfamiliar with?

I do not play HS. I work weekends and do not usually play in tournaments. My LGS had a store Championship last week and all the whole group played HS. I play almost exclusively Extended and FO in particular. I played FO from Day 1 and Quickdraw almost always. (My Fave). And Now QD is not HS legal. I empathize with the OP.

5 minutes ago, Captain Mayhem said:

I do not play HS. I work weekends and do not usually play in tournaments. My LGS had a store Championship last week and all the whole group played HS. I play almost exclusively Extended and FO in particular. I played FO from Day 1 and Quickdraw almost always. (My Fave). And Now QD is not HS legal. I empathize with the OP.

Wouldn't you have been just as inexperienced if the format was extended? Your OP made it seem as such

1 hour ago, Cgriffith said:

No it’s that my local area only plays Hyperspace right now, and unfortunately (as you mention my CLT lists) I feel don’t represent the play style I prefer and i don’t think anyone wouldn’t not play my extended lists except for the format everyone week after week continues to agree upon with no flexibility.

Heres a secret all my lists (Republic) are made with CLT Jedi I like having 3 green dice as the base; I’ve never played 7B.

See answer above. I have no issues with CLT Jedi I do have an issue with the other tools being offered in Hyperspace to play with those CLT Jedi (specifically Anakin) immediately after Republic released I was a Palp Aces player with Republic obviously that list has disappeared. Someone earlier in the thread suggested Y-Wing Anakin everyone knows he just isn’t playable in any format. 

In regards to this when it was suggested I immediately tried to make a list I thought would be fun, and I can’t if I could I’d try it but putting 70-75 points into a Y-Wing is not smart list making nor an affective approach. It’d become target priority 

I’m fully aware and have tried Kylo/Vonreg combos a few times (Kylo being the Skywalker in the list) as a Vader substitute. It’s alright it appears I need to walk away from the game, many here are dead set on just hyper competitive X-Wing.

My comment wasn't rude it was insightful.  And you said this wasn't a vent thread.

As @FatherTurin has tried to say to you: the only person making you unhappy is yourself.  The only person who can fix it is yourself.  You need to mend your attitude or walk away, for the good of both yourself and those around you.

41 minutes ago, Mattman7306 said:

Wouldn't you have been just as inexperienced if the format was extended? Your OP made it seem as such

I have been playing X-Wing since 2012. Day 1. I have played my list at least 20 times and variations of FO at least 50 times. So no. My extended format is very well known to me.

7 hours ago, reqent said:

Is there a reason they won't play extended?  I get that there is tournament prep but it is weird that people wont accomadate you by playing extended every know and then.  

people in a group tend to prefer one format/edition of a game and its really hard to change that.  When 2.0 came out, either your group converted or they didnt, and if you didnt follow the herd then no game for you.  same with having the wrong edition of Warhammer, wrong MTG set, or anything else.  the only way you can reliably get custom games is with friends.

so functionally Hyperspace is dividing the playerbase into subsets, yeahs and nays. my main FLGS is doing a hyperspace league so now no one will play non hyperspace games till thsts over, so the choice is basically hyperspace or nothing. that sucks if you want to play your banned favorites.  it also sucks if you only own a few ships and theyre not hyperspace legal.

@Cgriffith

Hang in there, bud. A lot of us were sympathetic to you, too.

1) Just take a break. Honestly, I get it. Read the Hyper legal article this summer and dust off your fav ships if they’re added. 

2) Just play a new faction and KNOW your going to lose. Sometimes when you release your winning tension and fly casual just for gaining to xp it’s kinda fun. 

3) Fly 5 X-Wings. Seriously. No tricks, no gimmicks. Keeps you spatial fine-tuning up to par, and it’s up to your opponent to win. Don’t fly them to win. Just to practice. Don’t even bring sfoils. 

5 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

@Cgriffith

Hang in there, bud. A lot of us were sympathetic to you, too.

1) Just take a break. Honestly, I get it. Read the Hyper legal article this summer and dust off your fav ships if they’re added. 

2) Just play a new faction and KNOW your going to lose. Sometimes when you release your winning tension and fly casual just for gaining to xp it’s kinda fun. 

3) Fly 5 X-Wings. Seriously. No tricks, no gimmicks. Keeps you spatial fine-tuning up to par, and it’s up to your opponent to win. Don’t fly them to win. Just to practice. Don’t even bring sfoils. 

So the solutions to this dilemma are a) don't play, b) buy something new or c) just go through the motions?

a) OP wants to play the game - just with their preferred ships and builds.  How is dropping out going to allow that?

b). OP wants to want to play the game - just with their preferred ships and builds.  How is buying the latest shinies going to allow that?

c) OP wants to play the game - just with their preferred ships and builds.  How is going through the motions going to allow that?

Unfortunately that's what's so typical of most of the (for want of a better word) advice that's been given on this topic so far; it doesn't actually address the player's concerns.  It just handwaves them as inconsequential.  Which is a good way to drive players away of the game.

14 hours ago, Cgriffith said:

Fair but if most my lists center around certain pilots and either those pilots are not Hyperspace legal or have no real viable wing mates to me at least it appears stale.

Darth Vader or Anakin Skywalker ( I know N-1 available but Vader has lost every option) 

Rey (not legal) but Poe and Han are, seems weird.

You're married to a couple of pilots and not interested in the format because they aren't legal? That makes you the stale one, mate. ;) Try some stuff you've never put on the table! Think of this as an opportunity to do something you usually wouldn't.

Edited by Okapi

9 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

So the solutions to this dilemma are a) don't play, b) buy something new or c) just go through the motions?

a) OP wants to play the game - just with their preferred ships and builds.  How is dropping out going to allow that?

b). OP wants to want to play the game - just with their preferred ships and builds.  How is buying the latest shinies going to allow that?

c) OP wants to play the game - just with their preferred ships and builds.  How is going through the motions going to allow that?

Unfortunately that's what's so typical of most of the (for want of a better word) advice that's been given on this topic so far; it doesn't actually address the player's concerns.  It just handwaves them as inconsequential.  Which is a good way to drive players away of the game.

This.

The 'problem' isn't that the OP wants to play with his favourite toys and not the other toys; the problem is that no-one in his group wants to play with him.

Yes, he's severely limited himself which makes it a lot harder, but I can't see why he can't play his extended lists against everyone else's HS lists?

We would need to hear from the other players to find out why they won't allow this?

12 hours ago, Cgriffith said:

This seems a bit odd to me, but to each their own I guess. Flying one of the same 3 pilots literally every single game would make things get very stale for me very quickly. But if you must fly one of those why not Vader? He's Hyperspace legal and still pretty good in the format. You must have also used other pilots alongside them in your lists so you can just continue doing that, with different wingmates for Vader.

It sucks that your group won't do anything but Hyperspace though. Maybe talk to them and see if you can arrange at least one Extended game a session. Even when I'm flying a Hyperspace list I still don't mind playing against Extended lists. If anything it helps get more practice against nastier lists than I'm likely to face in a Hyperspace setting.

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Wait, so it’s everyone else’s responsibility to change their ways so that one person doesn’t have to change at all because they’re throwing a hissy fit?

That doesn’t fly, sorry.

Maybe it *IS* time for this player to step away from the game for a bit.