Sign in to follow this  
Cgriffith

Losing interest: Hyperspace is stale, and I’m uninterested

Okay before I begin I understand this is a unpopular opinion. I understand that most most believe Hyperspace is in a good place and it might be but not for me, and potentially others. With the newest changes I lost a lot of interest because the pilots I normally fly lost wing mates, were removed from Hyperspace all together seem so powerless that running them seems like investing into a lot of points just to lose out on efficiency. I have tried other avenues but at this point I may walk away from the game for awhile or possibly for ever. For reference the pilots I like to fly (Vader/Anakin I know N-1 Anakin exists and I use him but I preferred Delta 7 better); and (Rey) not Hyperspace at all. How is Rey the protagonist of the ST not Hyperspace?

The iconic pilots should’ve stayed Hyperspace and there tools just get removed or points increases to make use of them very difficult but when you remove wingmates for Vader, or remove a pilot (Anakin) you create issues, I know many won’t agree but waiting until June to possibly fly my favorites (Vader/Anakin, Rey) again really has turned me off to this game as a whole

2 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

I can understand if you’re uninterested, but you cannot call a format whose roster has been around less than a month stale.

Fair but if most my lists center around certain pilots and either those pilots are not Hyperspace legal or have no real viable wing mates to me at least it appears stale.

Darth Vader or Anakin Skywalker ( I know N-1 available but Vader has lost every option) 

Rey (not legal) but Poe and Han are, seems weird.

I was not a fan of the hyperspace format. However, having played at the UK system  Open last weekend there is so much healthy list diversity out there I feel that it would be untrue to say it was boring. I didn't play the same list twice or face a mirror match. This is my metric for a healthy meta. 

Tl:dr, don't knock it until you've tried it. 

1 minute ago, Estarriol said:

I was not a fan of the hyperspace format. However, having played at the UK system  Open last weekend there is so much healthy list diversity out there I feel that it would be untrue to say it was boring. I didn't play the same list twice or face a mirror match. This is my metric for a healthy meta. 

Tl:dr, don't knock it until you've tried it. 

You don’t think I’m actively playing, I play every week. Every week it’s Hyperspace. Every week I’ve chosen a different list that has not included ships/pilots I want to fly. Me disinterested.

21 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

Fair but if most my lists center around certain pilots and either those pilots are not Hyperspace legal or have no real viable wing mates to me at least it appears stale.

That's not stale.

You are disenchanted you can't fly a handful of pilots that are your favorites.

Ergo, hyperspace is working just fine.  Try something new.  Ya know, the exact opposite of stale.

Every week it’s Hyperspace. 

Edit:  OK, that might get stale.

Which is why, IMHO, Environments need to become part of tournament play.  Imagine if there were 13 different ways to play 200/6.

Edited by Darth Meanie

3 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

You don’t think I’m actively playing, I play every week. Every week it’s Hyperspace. Every week I’ve chosen a different list that has not included ships/pilots I want to fly. Me disinterested.

I get it, i do. When hyperspace dropped none if the twenty or so lists i had made were legal. But I enjoy list building, and so it became a challenge.

I'm sorry you aren't enjoying it, but if it's not fun for you then there will be plenty of Extended OP events this year to enjoy. Or maybe its a good excuse to get those huge ships out, or play some HotAC.

Hyperspace isn't the only format - you like pilots only available in Extended...fly Extended.  Ask your local game group if they'd mind.

I don't think any Resistance Falcon pilots are in Hyperspace, IIRC.  As far as I know (and I play Resistance), Hyperspace has the T-70, Resistance Transport, Transport Pod, Fireball, and A-Wing available to it.  You must be referring to Han (Rebel).

12 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

Darth Vader or Anakin Skywalker ( I know N-1 available but Vader has lost every option) 

Rey (not legal) but Poe and Han are, seems weird.

I think you're confusing "stale" with "limited".  "Stale" typically means a 'solved' meta; the same power lists appearing at the top consistently, in most major events; and a bunch of players complaining that a) we need new points, b) we are having NPEs because we don't like flying against certain ships, and c) FFG has somehow dropped the ball on something.  At least, that's what it looks like to me.  "Limited", on the other hand, means a) you have to get inventive/creative with your list-building, b) your favourite power combos or pilots are temporarily unavailable, c) FFG has actually followed through on a promise it made that Hyperspace would be distinct from Extended or "Legacy" X-Wing. 

23 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

Okay before I begin I understand this is a unpopular opinion. I understand that most most believe Hyperspace is in a good place and it might be but not for me, and potentially others. With the newest changes I lost a lot of interest because the pilots I normally fly lost wing mates, were removed from Hyperspace all together seem so powerless that running them seems like investing into a lot of points just to lose out on efficiency. I have tried other avenues but at this point I may walk away from the game for awhile or possibly for ever. For reference the pilots I like to fly (Vader/Anakin I know N-1 Anakin exists and I use him but I preferred Delta 7 better); and (Rey) not Hyperspace at all. How is Rey the protagonist of the ST not Hyperspace?

The iconic pilots should’ve stayed Hyperspace and there tools just get removed or points increases to make use of them very difficult but when you remove wingmates for Vader, or remove a pilot (Anakin) you create issues, I know many won’t agree but waiting until June to possibly fly my favorites (Vader/Anakin, Rey) again really has turned me off to this game as a whole

There is nothing wrong with taking a break. In July, new points and new hyperspace pilots change and store tournies will probably be extended in 2nd season for Worlds practice, etc. So that may be the time to jump back in. Im not excited for Hyperspace format either. Im an ace player and all my ships,pilots, and tools were taken from me, but I love this **** game, so Im not stopping. Im not excited to fly swarms, so Im trying to find something that interests me like 5 Awings or Holo/Kylo + 4 friends, etc. 

If you like Rey, just transition to Rebel Han or Lando with Jake wingmate and a third ship like Luke or Thane. Similar function. Or Boba + 2 fearless skulls plays similar to Rey and two T70s. Just ram the ships down your opponents throat.

Vader is still playable without afterburners. Two Vader,Dutchess, Tie Fighters list made cut at UK Sys Open.

I also think something like Vader and 6 Ties can be a handfull to deal with. And the always dangerous Tie Salad with Vader, Vermeil with Death Troopers, Countdown, Gideon has a lot of punch.

I'm siding with the OP, I'm afraid.  Hyperspace format is putting me off attending events.

It's very easy to say "PlAy ExTeNdED iNsTeAdZ tHeNz", but that only works if your local community is of a like mind, and / or if there are Organised Play events based on it.

I have to travel to play, so I will be picking and choosing Extended events regardless, but I feel for the OP if they're stuck with the format.

@Cgriffith

So.... I branched out. Spent a $100 and am pleasantly surprised and happy with FO power level. It’s a learning curve and I’m losing games do to unfamiliarity, but I’m enjoying myself. 

My best Imp Hyper list: 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Meh

(67) Darth Vader [TIE Advanced x1]
(2) Fire-Control System

(76) Rear Admiral Chiraneau [VT-49 Decimator]
(4) Dauntless

(42) "Duchess" [TIE/sk Striker]
(1) Ruthless

Total points: 192

7 minutes ago, JBFancourt said:

@Cgriffith

Who or what arc type are you missing most? Top 2 that were your favorite?

I TOTALLY don’t fault you here. It’s feeling awkward for me too. But I’m an Imp player that never liked Strikers or Reapers.... LOL 😜😢😢

Every list until January always had Darth Vader or Anakin Skywalker (D7) in it or Rey. I also don’t like Reapers or Strikers. I am using N-1 Anakin currently but am not enjoying myself.

@reqent most of my local group are hyper competitive and travel; all they want to play is Hyperspace.

Edited by Cgriffith

2 minutes ago, KCDodger said:

Look, as a Hyperspace diehard I was initially put-off by everything, especially as a Republic player who very much LOVES her V-19s, but let's get this much straight. FFG is forcing us to try  buy new stuff.

FTFY

Edited by Rettere

31 minutes ago, Stay OT Leader said:

I think the problem is your attitude not the format.

You want to see an attitude problem?  I'll show you an attitude problem!

29 minutes ago, Chumbalaya said:

K

Now that's an attitude problem!   /mickdundee  In totally unlrelated news, person known for sharing their opinion on the internet instantly dismisses person's opinion on the internet; colour me surprised.

Seriously though, refusing to acknowledge or discuss the fact that some players may have an issue with the most prominent format of the game will only end up contributing to people leaving the game.

Anecdote:  Young player at my local club started around the time 2nd Edition began, picked up a core set and a couple of copies of Guardians of the Republic to give them a solid starting point for the list.  Focused on practicing with what they had, and haven't really been able to expand their force since.  Now they find themselves incredibly limited in what they can do with what they own on game night due to Hyperspace constraints.  Newcomer friendly, no?