Sign in to follow this  
Wuchamakallit

FO First Tourney

Playing in my first extended store tournament coming up in a couple weeks. Since it's my first time, I'd love some feedback on a couple lists I am thinking of bringing. Bear in mind, I do have some restrictions on which ships I own ( 2 silencers, 1 ba, 4 fos, 1 sf, 1 Ups).  I've only been playing for a few months and don't know too much about what our local meta looks like. 

Kylo Ren (76)    
    Advanced Optics (4)    

Ship total: 80  Half Points: 40  Threshold: 3    

Major Vonreg (57)    
    Daredevil (2)    

Ship total: 59  Half Points: 30  Threshold: 2    

"Rush" (57)    
Ship total: 57  Half Points: 29  Threshold: 3    

Total: 196    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=First%20Order&d=v8ZsZ200Z236XW186WWY381X117WWWY386XWW&sn=New%20Squadron&obs=

The thought here is that I am somewhat comfortable with aces (which doesn't mean I'm good at them), and I would have less to focus on if I am only paying attention to 3 ships. I'd throw optics on Rush, but the 4 point bid might be nice. 

OR

Captain Phasma (39)    
    Special Forces Gunner (10)    

Ship total: 49  Half Points: 25  Threshold: 3    

Lieutenant Tavson (64)    
Ship total: 64  Half Points: 32  Threshold: 6    

Omega Squadron Ace (28)    
    Fanatical (2)    

Ship total: 30  Half Points: 15  Threshold: 2    

Omega Squadron Ace (28)    
    Fanatical (2)    

Ship total: 30  Half Points: 15  Threshold: 2    

Lieutenant Rivas (27)    
Ship total: 27  Half Points: 14  Threshold: 2    

Total: 200    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=First%20Order&d=v8ZsZ200Z385XWWW182WWY289XWWWWWWWY267X181WWY267X181WWY265XW&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron&obs=

This one would focus on bullying with Phasma and spreading damage with some synergy with Tavson's extra actions and the FOs strength increasing as the game progresses with fanatical. Rivas is kind of the odd one out, but there were only 27 points remaining. 

Advice?

Both lists look solid as is. 

First list maybe drop AO off Kylo for a bigger bid (but I do like it as is too)?

For the second, maybe swap Rivas for a Cadet so you can throw either Fanatical or FCS on Phasma to make her more dangerous. 

All about personal taste though. 

For the tournament it's more about what you will be comfortable flying for several rounds in a row (4-5?).

As you are new you will get fatigued after a couple of rounds so try to make sure you know your ships and triggers like the back of your hand. Take water and good snacks (nuts or blueberries etc) and keep hydrated. Take time between rounds to rest and chill. Make sure you have your ship lists with points/half points on it so you can more easily know when you are up/down. 

Don't be afraid to call a judge if you are not sure on a ruling or range/ARC measurement, don't always take the opponents word for it. 

Drop AO off Kylo or run sense. If he arc dodges you get lock and force. Bid more important in that list IMHO. Also look at LeHuse in that list too or QD. Rush is...... I don’t know. Haven’t made up my mind. 

I’m not liking the second list 🤷‍♂️

6 hours ago, Wuchamakallit said:

Kylo Ren (76)    
    Advanced Optics (4)    

Ship total: 80  Half Points: 40  Threshold: 3    

Major Vonreg (57)    
    Daredevil (2)    

Ship total: 59  Half Points: 30  Threshold: 2    

"Rush" (57)    
Ship total: 57  Half Points: 29  Threshold: 3    

Total: 196    

So I've been playing FO almost exclusively for a while now. I can tell you that Kylo is the best pilot in the faction right now, expensive though he is. It's still early to be giving the Baron a firm rating, but I'd say Daredevil Vonreg is poised to be another one of the FOs top pieces. So right away, your list has two standouts. Optics is not extremely necessary on Kylo, since he gets a similar effect just taking a lock action, but it's a good safety upgrade since Kylo may still like to rely on focus actions for defensive mods.

Rush, however, I'm not yet sold on. Silencers in general are very costly for their offensive presence. I would rather have a First Order test pilot with Fanatical for a single point more. I4 will still let you move after most ships, and Fanatical lets the silencer spend focus on defense without giving up its offensive presence.

My absolute preference would be for Scorch and an Epsilon Cadet, but that's a different play style.

Edited by hargleblarg
cursed autocorrect

I, for one, really like Vonreg and Kylo, as you have them, as your base. I think Quickdraw with SFG and FCS would be better than Rush, but I would actually suggest a Zeta with Ion Missiles, PS, and PA. That leaves 17 points for a deep bid and a smattering of spice around your ships

11 hours ago, Wuchamakallit said:

Thanks for all the input so far. 

I’m definitely open to anything. If I did switch out Rush for Scorch+Cadet, how would you end up playing that squad differently? 

Like I said, it may not be your playstyle, but here's how I like to run Scorch:

Scorch sets up in a corner opposite the rest of your Squad as far forward as possible and pointed straight at your opponent, the Epsilon parallel about 1/2 base over.

First turn, 1-hard turn and barrel roll down towards your board edge with both while your aces start up the flank, but not so fast that they can't disengage if your foe turns their list towards the aces. 

Second turn, both FOs hard turn back towards your opponent. At this point, your opponent is either jousting Scorch and friend or chasing your aces.

If they're jousting your two ties, you're most likely too far away to shoot on turn 2 (unless they dialed 5 straights twice in a row). Your goal now is to use the epsilon to jam up their squad. If they're plotting forward with 1 straights, keep it slow until you're reasonably sure a 5-straight will cause them to bump into your Epsilon, while Scorch should slow down and plan to take defensive actions. 2 Tie FOs don't have a lot of jousting power, but they're still non-trivialto destroy.. At this point, flankers should also be in position to wreak some havoc.

If instead they start chasing your aces, great! Push Scorch and friend into range and start taking meaningful potshots while your highly maneuverable aces pull away.

2 hours ago, Wuchamakallit said:

Is scorch+eps preferable to a named sf in this sort of setup?

They fill a similar role. Ultimately, the best choice is the ship you feel most comfortable flying. If the silencer is your jam, I'll restate my support for Fanatical on a First Order Test Pilot. If SFs are your thing, then fly your favorite SF. I've just flown a lot of FOs in the past year, so I'm likely a bit biased.

On the first list, consider moving the optics to Rush. Kylo gets tl+force when you do it right, so his offense is among the best in the game. Rush on the other hand gets perfect information on when he wants to spend his token before his ability triggers, and after can be used to squeeze in that init kill.

After testing last night, I’m considering an sf instead for that third ship:

Tourney Option

(54) "Holo" [TIE/ba Interceptor]
(2) Proud Tradition

(76) Kylo Ren [TIE/vn Silencer]

(39) Lieutenant LeHuse [TIE/sf Fighter]
(6) Concussion Missiles
(2) Fire-Control System
(2) Fanatical

Total points: 181

would you at this point put AO on Kylo or sfg on leHuse? I do like the flexibility of all being fives, and holo seems very flexible and worth a try. Is this viable? 

Kylo and Vonreg are excellent pilots for their cost. I played a game with them and 2 FO's (Rivas and an epsilon) and put mag pulse warheads/daredevil on Vonreg. I used the missiles to put a panicked pilot through shields at one point, and daredevil let Vonreg maneuver really well through the obstacles and around arcs. Rivas synergies really nicely with Vonreg, who locks a lot and gives out strain and deplete for Rivas to lock. If your event is extended, you can put ion torpedoes on Kylo. At range 3 he gets the extra die and denies the bonus, so he can fairly easily ionize ships and set up devastating shots with Vonreg and the TIE's.

Kylo Ren (76)    
    Ion Torpedoes (6)    

Ship total: 82  Half Points: 41  Threshold: 3    

Major Vonreg (57)    
    Daredevil (2)    
    Mag-Pulse Warheads (6)    

Ship total: 65  Half Points: 33  Threshold: 2    

Lieutenant Rivas (27)    
Ship total: 27  Half Points: 14  Threshold: 2    

Epsilon Squadron Cadet (25)    
Ship total: 25  Half Points: 13  Threshold: 2    

Total: 199    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=First Order&d=v8ZsZ200Z236XWW135WY381X117WW311WY265XWY269XW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=gascloud1,gascloud2,gascloud3

Instead of ion torpedoes, you can upgrade the epsilon to a generic SF or Muse with proud tradition. It seems interesting to try.

Edited by Des Darklighter

Here’s where I think I finally landed. Since Vonreg is particularly squishy, I’m opting for a less mistake prone comp, at least until I get him on the table more:

(27) Lieutenant Rivas [TIE/fo Fighter]

(33) "Scorch" [TIE/fo Fighter]
(2) Fanatical

(10) Special Forces Gunner
(5) Hull Upgrade
(2) Fanatical

Total points: 194

Any suggested final tweaks? Really appreciate all the help. 

18 hours ago, Wuchamakallit said:

Here’s where I think I finally landed. Since Vonreg is particularly squishy, I’m opting for a less mistake prone comp, at least until I get him on the table more:

(27) Lieutenant Rivas [TIE/fo Fighter]

(33) "Scorch" [TIE/fo Fighter]
(2) Fanatical

(10) Special Forces Gunner
(5) Hull Upgrade
(2) Fanatical

Total points: 194

Any suggested final tweaks? Really appreciate all the help. 

I'm like 5-0 with this list with optics on kylo, i think is really solid.

2 hours ago, mithosiris said:

I'm like 5-0 with this list with optics on kylo, i think is really solid.

How are you finding LeHuse?
I'm very excited about the different combinations you can come up with in FO right now, in terms of "FO Salad".

Vonreg hasn't exactly grown on me, so currently playing around with Holo + Friends. 
I did have a list with LeHuse but haven't given it a go yet... Was a bit wary I was building it a bit too much around trying to use his ability... But still, might be a good tool.

I agree kylo needs optics. The LeHuse Rivas combo seems like a blast

Personally I have been flying this as my FO salad and am 4-1. It gives me a taste of everything, but it is quite the change from your current list (which I need to try out ASAP!)

Epsilon Cadet FO (25)

Zeta Survivor SF (32)

Avenger VN (56)

Scorch FO (33)

Holo BA (54)

Total:200

6 hours ago, bahourmat said:

How are you finding LeHuse?
I'm very excited about the different combinations you can come up with in FO right now, in terms of "FO Salad".

Vonreg hasn't exactly grown on me, so currently playing around with Holo + Friends. 
I did have a list with LeHuse but haven't given it a go yet... Was a bit wary I was building it a bit too much around trying to use his ability... But still, might be a good tool.

I think is really solid, I play him with hull upgrade and fanatical. With Rivas around you attack with double mod every time and when you are not shielded you start evading with fanatical and using target locks. The Rivas/Lehuse combitation is really solid for the cost and Rivas acts like a blocker too.

Ended up going 2-2. My two losses were against a sear swarm (no idea how to fly this list against that), and then a guy who apparently just got back from the Las Vegas tournament (so I expected a loss). Won against a resistance 4 ship and imperial aces.

I expected 0-4 as the newbie. All in all pretty happy with that day. Thanks everyone for the help. 

4 hours ago, Wuchamakallit said:

Ended up going 2-2. My two losses were against a sear swarm (no idea how to fly this list against that), and then a guy who apparently just got back from the Las Vegas tournament (so I expected a loss). Won against a resistance 4 ship and imperial aces.

I expected 0-4 as the newbie. All in all pretty happy with that day. Thanks everyone for the help. 

Great performance! Those are all tough lists, especially the sear swarm!

9 hours ago, Wuchamakallit said:

That's awesome. My first tournament I went 1-2 and the 1 was a lot of luck. Sear swarm still gives me trouble after a year of playing.

4 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Hyperspace. :P

You simply need to bring bombs on the.... Oh wait.... NVM...

Half seriously, if you can just run the whole game and hope you have taken at least 1/2 points on one of their drones and you lose none. A very boring defensive game of cat and mouse where you get points where you can. 

If you can't, Droids don't like banks so try to set up moves where they have to bank, not hard turn, towards you.

Have good luck on dice. 

Make sure you don't get dragged into a car park as the Droids love the mass bump crush. Disengage as safely as you can and reset for another attack run. 

Make sure you are coming in from 3 different directions to give them difficulty in choosing where to go.