Sign in to follow this  
Red Castle Games

[Portland, OR] Red Castle's 2019 Armada Prime Live Blog

51 minutes ago, Irate Pooka said:

This has really been a terrific read; thanks so much for sharing! I'm in the middle of the country, so Portland isn't exactly an easy Prime for me to make. But I might really have to make the effort next year for a tourney of this caliber!

Thank you @Irate Pooka, that's much appreciated! It's been a long day so I may wrap up pics and events tomorrow. Whew!

18 hours ago, Madaghmire said:

Id love to know where the piett player found that token holding thing

18 hours ago, Red Castle Games said:

He purchased it on Etsy from a vendor called Dangerous Designs.

Quite so!  Gotta say, HELLA handy for events like this when moving around a pile of tokens and dice all day...

pic5219851.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/772858017/star-wars-armada-magnetic-token-holder?ref=yr_purchases

As to the thread - Fantastic event, and great players!

On 2/8/2020 at 5:28 PM, Red Castle Games said:

Piett ISD/Interdictor vs Sloane Quasar Fire/Gladiator playing Rift Ambush. Piett used Grav Shift Reroute and Admiral Titus to really put Sloane's fleet in a tough spot on turn 1.

cazVYi8.jpg?1

dpVzoaU.jpg?1

Man, I really should have done better with this one than I did.

Gene's massive fighter wing dug into my bombers - which is expected, I was just running them with ATN on the Destroyer as a bullet sponge and not really intending them for attack - but once a few went down and he pulled away I got overly-target-fixated.  Honestly should have just settled for the 6-5 loss and held back, but nope...landed a solid hit on his Quasar and with it wounded I got blood in my eyes...

pic5224855.jpg

Hey everyone, I just sent a message to Matt, but wanted to say something here.  I feel lousy, but I just realized I was playing with an extra Y-wing on the board the entire time on Saturday.  Looking back I don't think it would have affected any of my scores, not even the last close game (like it didn't do clinch damage on anything, or even get in more than a couple of hits the entire tournament), but I wanted to be honest with the community.

1 hour ago, Admiral Theia said:

Hey everyone, I just sent a message to Matt, but wanted to say something here.  I feel lousy, but I just realized I was playing with an extra Y-wing on the board the entire time on Saturday.  Looking back I don't think it would have affected any of my scores, not even the last close game (like it didn't do clinch damage on anything, or even get in more than a couple of hits the entire tournament), but I wanted to be honest with the community.

I'm going over the floor rules and crunching the numbers now to determine how to proceed. I'll be posting shortly...

This is disheartening, but the rules are clear: accidentally playing with an illegal list results in a game loss. Playing all 3 games with an illegal list equals a disqualification. I will treat Michelle's games as a concession, giving each of her opponents 8 points with an MoV of 140. It will take me a little time to recalculate the standings and I will notify those involved.

For the record, I want to say that Michelle is a true hero for coming forward with this information. I didn't catch this mistake - and it was clearly a mistake on her part and not purposeful in any manner - and neither did anyone else throughout the day. I don't believe I've ever witnessed such an act of true selflessness and sportsmanship in gaming.  Michelle, you have my deepest respect. 

EDIT: The floor rules aren't 100% clear on how to score a DQ loss, so the scoring may change. Doing more research.

Edited by Red Castle Games

1 hour ago, Admiral Theia said:

3oxtjx.jpg

10 hours ago, Admiral Theia said:

We all need your kind of integrity, Admiral, both in-game and out. I agree with everyone who said it's nobody's fault because it was a mistake, but it's a **** tragedy because everything indicates that you earned that win and deserved it. #thepeopleschampion

5 hours ago, flatpackhamster said:

Can I just ask how the Piett ISD/Interdictor combi worked for the player that ran it?  I have been playing with a similar fleet and found it to be very good.

Won my first two games, third game (that the pic is from with me chasing down the 1st player stupidly) I lost - but I was pretty exhausted at that point and had made some basic blunders earlier in the match, too.

I've played the list a few times since then - still tweaking it, but it's pretty close to where I want it, now, and I like how it works.  Hopefully can try another major event some time with it and see how it shakes out with the latest iteration.

24 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Won my first two games, third game (that the pic is from with me chasing down the 1st player stupidly) I lost - but I was pretty exhausted at that point and had made some basic blunders earlier in the match, too.

I've played the list a few times since then - still tweaking it, but it's pretty close to where I want it, now, and I like how it works.  Hopefully can try another major event some time with it and see how it shakes out with the latest iteration.

Thanks.  I ran mine with two Comms Net gozantis and a Hondo and was doing double dials for 4 turns out of 6 which I felt was better and more flexible than Thrawn. 

Can you remember what fleets you faced?

1 hour ago, flatpackhamster said:

Thanks.  I ran mine with two Comms Net gozantis and a Hondo and was doing double dials for 4 turns out of 6 which I felt was better and more flexible than Thrawn. 

Can you remember what fleets you faced?

Yes, I log all my plays on BGG.  Check out the 3 entries on Feb 8th for details:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/163745/star-wars-armada/mygames/plays

(And I agree entirely on the comparison to Thrawn.  The issue with him is that I rarely want all of my ships doing the same thing, the same time, ANYWAY - nevermind trying to have the right dial at the right time even for the ship that DOES need it.  Piett is just gobs more flexible.)