Sign in to follow this  
cnemmick

[IACP] Official Changes v3.0 (Season 3) & Printable Cards Now Available

The IA Continuity Project is proud to announce that our Skirmish Official Changes v3.0 are now live. These changes include 22 new and changed cards for Season 3, featuring some new and old faces. For more information about the IACP, including how to download printable cards, find games to play and submit your testing feedback, please visit https://ia-continuityproject.com.

5OgbCT1.jpg?1

O8v8sm6.jpg?1

6ml70PU.jpg?1

T9oRDiW.jpg?1

p51lCHl.jpg?1

This is great!  Great looking cards.  Well designed stats...  excited to try them out.  I'm excited to hear what happens at the IACP comp at Adepticon or whatever it's called.  Hope this picks up more momentum and keeps IA skirmish in a great place. 

What are you going to use for the Yoda figure?  Or the 4-LOM and Zuckuss?  I think the latter two are in Legion, right?  Can't remember... 

8 hours ago, Mandalore of the Rings said:

What are you going to use for the Yoda figure?  Or the 4-LOM and Zuckuss?  I think the latter two are in Legion, right?  Can't remember... 

We're still finalizing our rules on how these new deployments can be represented in physical competitive play events. The default option is using tokens provided in the printable PDF. We're leaning towards being fairly acceptable of other options: If you find the character figure in a scale that fits neatly in a square on a tile, and that figure does not fall over easily and is easily distinguishable, you can use it. Acceptable solutions include Legion figures (though you'll want to mount them on a custom 24mm base), Lego minifigs on a 2x3 flat piece or in a sitting position, figures from older Star Wars miniature games, etc.

We'll have a proper tournament rules document with answers to this and other questions coming out hopefully the 1st week of March.

Scout trooper - find weakness is OP. Just by spotting a figure it becomes weakened? it would make more sense that while this or another scout trooper is attacking the figure that figure gains minus evade. 

While there is a mechanical aspect to this feature, I think that it overlooks the thematic aspect. 

Weakened is a condition, which thematically should be gained as a result of something. Being shot and or being hit in close ranged combat makes sense.

“Looking” at a target from distance to make the target weekend sound like a force user trait. Spooky action at a distance so to speak. 

Thematically, it would make more sense if this feature would be somehow limited to imperial troopers who an communicate with each other at a distance. Thus, a scout trooper can take an action to “weaken” a target but this condition would only apply if another trooper is making an attack. 

While this ability may work from a pure mechanical side of the game, I think that it “breaks” the spirit of the game.

Edited by robertpolson
Additional thoughts.

On 2/12/2020 at 11:24 AM, robertpolson said:

Scout trooper - find weakness is OP. Just by spotting a figure it becomes weakened? it would make more sense that while this or another scout trooper is attacking the figure that figure gains minus evade. 

While there is a mechanical aspect to this feature, I think that it overlooks the thematic aspect. 

Weakened is a condition, which thematically should be gained as a result of something. Being shot and or being hit in close ranged combat makes sense.

“Looking” at a target from distance to make the target weekend sound like a force user trait. Spooky action at a distance so to speak. 

Thematically, it would make more sense if this feature would be somehow limited to imperial troopers who an communicate with each other at a distance. Thus, a scout trooper can take an action to “weaken” a target but this condition would only apply if another trooper is making an attack. 

While this ability may work from a pure mechanical side of the game, I think that it “breaks” the spirit of the game.

I designed Find Weakness, so I'll field this. My thinking was that the scout troopers are watching the enemy and spotting flaws in their movements/armor/whatever. They then communicate this to their team. "He will dive this direction when shot;" "The human's armor has a large gap beneath the left armpit;" etc. By communicating this to their allies, their teammates will be able to exploit the weakness, as well as more efficiently dodge the attacks (the -Surge). By the time the figure performs an activation, the fleeting weakness is resolved (cleared weaken). Therefore, I believe Find Weakness is entirely flavorful. As to your suggestion for alternate mechanics, that would be entirely too wordy for the card (which is already complicated as is) and we are not going to design a new condition that is only used by one unit.

We really appreciate your feedback and I hope my explanation helped clear that up for you :)

On 2/15/2020 at 5:59 PM, ThatJakeGuy said:

I designed Find Weakness, so I'll field this. My thinking was that the scout troopers are watching the enemy and spotting flaws in their movements/armor/whatever. They then communicate this to their team. "He will dive this direction when shot;" "The human's armor has a large gap beneath the left armpit;" etc. By communicating this to their allies, their teammates will be able to exploit the weakness, as well as more efficiently dodge the attacks (the -Surge). By the time the figure performs an activation, the fleeting weakness is resolved (cleared weaken). Therefore, I believe Find Weakness is entirely flavorful. As to your suggestion for alternate mechanics, that would be entirely too wordy for the card (which is already complicated as is) and we are not going to design a new condition that is only used by one unit.

We really appreciate your feedback and I hope my explanation helped clear that up for you :)

Weakened is too strong of a condition to be applied at will at endless range. It messes a lot with the math of the attack  of the weakened piece and it really messes with the defence, especially of a white die defender. The scout trooper is a cool design thematically but it really is way too god, especially with two per deployment.

Edited by Ram

To be clear, the IACP Steering Committee will make changes to Find Weakness if the ability as written is found to be too strong in gameplay. Your input has helped us prioritize assessing Find Weakness in our testing.

We hope y'all try a few games with these new Scout Troopers yourselves and send us details of how they affected your games. The best way to share is to head to the IACP Website and click on the Season 3 Playtest Survey link. The survey takes about 5 minutes to fill out and it helps us compare both quantitative and qualitative data about our changes.

I played my first game with the scout troopers yesterday. Their camouflage ability is good and makes the opponent think twice before exposing a figure in LOS of the scout trooper.

I just need to digest their find weakness ability thematically. My opponent who does not follow IACP also was confused about the thematic application of how this is possible.

Edited by robertpolson

So, my playgroup played three games with the Scout troopers this weekend and had a bit of a discussion around them. These are our findings:
The combination of abilities makes them strong. We will not say overpowered, but they are strong. Both Camoflage and Expose weakness are very annoying abilities, Camoflage more then at least I initially thought as they more or less can not be shot at without risking to put a figure out of position. Combine that with a pretty good range and they are good even though the damage output is not huge. Also, the camoflage gave the ability for the Scouts to be stationary at long range to be able to shoot and use the ability.

Expose weakness we did not find a very good fit thematically. The entire timing around it felt wrong. The fact that it stayed until the unit had activated again and most of all that the state remained after the scouts had been removed, my group did not like at all.

We however liked the fact that the Scouts brought in Weaken as a real state in the game. 

Our 2 cents. 

I had a chat with a fellow player yesterday and he gave some input that we had not really formalized. The camouflage ability collides with Hidden in a way that feels very strange. Now, one can for sure have opinions about how Hidden is implemented in the game, but as it is today but as it is it really feels a bit wierd. 

Posted (edited)

Make sure to submit your feedback: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScj44hiqtvA-oCz4ZRBAG8g3K2mWLr4eAKVMml19Ak-jujbZw/viewform

My thoughts on the scout troopers:

Having a permanent restriction of four or more spaces away is a bit much. I would change it to either 5 or more spaces or apply -4 accuracy. It was weired to have a scout trooper in a straight LOS with only four spaces away and not being able to shoot at it.
Applying -4 accuracy is more thematic. A figure can spot a scout trooper but because they are in good cover, they get a bonus of -4.

I think a restriction such as can’t attack should be changed to a choice with a penalty of -4 accuracy.

People have been using a combination of scout troopers and element of surprise :)

Element of surprise with the scout troopers is an interesting trick. I think that an ability that prohibits one from doing something is too much. A sufficient accuracy penalty opens more room for making a choice. I chose not to attack the scout troopers because they are too far (well hidden) or I chose to give it a shot with a low probability of success might it may work. Not being able to shoot a figure in plain sight when it is “just” four spaces away is very strange unless the scouts have access to force illusion of some sort.

Edited by robertpolson