Sign in to follow this  
Blail Blerg

What's been fun to do with the Starhawk, Onager and SSD?

Tried out the Starhawk this past weekend and had a blast using it. I'd built it to do some speed 0 shenanigans, including the Concord title and Bail Organa for first activation attack after slowing something down. But I botched up the timing on when I would need to slow down to speed 0, so that plan went out the window and I just settled for double-arcing as much as possible while slowly moving forward. So I'll have to save a verdict on speed 0 shenanigans until I get it right.
I couldn't decide on a Gunnery upgrade that felt like it fit (Caitken and Sholan are a good choice but they were on another ship) so I went with Shriv. That was fun to use him to remove my opponent's Electronic Countermeasures from his Star Destroyer. Leading Shots felt absolutely necessary because it's tough to get rerolls with that ship.

Overall the Starhawk felt like a fun, tanky ship. The defenses with the titles and Kyrsta Agate as the admiral made it feel about as tanky as a super star destroyer, but the smaller base size gives it its own unique feel. However, even when double-arcing a ship I didn't feel like it hit much harder than an MC-75 double-arc does. Especially since it can't take any ordnance slots. I'm looking forward to play it some more.

I'll be trying out the Onager this week and I'm looking forward to it. Admiral Screed feels like a perfect fit for that ship, but I'm still figuring out what ships are best for supporting that type of fleet.

1 minute ago, Blail Blerg said:

What does it feel like to be playing the SSD in 400 pts? 

Is it clumsy? 

Is it powerful?

Does it just spread damage everywhere? 

I played it for a month or two at release.

1.  Jerry is good with it.

2.  You can play it squadronless and it has some build tools that make it nasty against some squad load-outs.

3.  I had fun with a Sloan, max squad variant, but be aware you pay an awful price in either squads or activations or both.

4.  It loves second and can play down activations.

5.  Losing half your points for half damage cards really makes it hard to create the highest levels of margin.

6.  I have dropped the 400+ version in the 800 point game, so it isn’t invincible at any level.  You have to know how to fly it, and how to fly against it, same as everything else.

On 2/4/2020 at 9:42 AM, Blail Blerg said:

Fun builds? 

Concepts? 

200pt, 400pt, and even extra info about 600-800 would be great. Considering its been a long time since I've played, intermediate ruleset, activation tricks and meta combos of the game are missing from my training. Care to fill me in? 

Edit: for the large ships probably need 400pts

(If possible, please do start with Task Force 200pt recommendations, as those would be immediately highly useful as I get back to remembering how the game works. 200pt TF stuff to try and relearn is great though, with other random ships/squads is a huge help.)

I still do not like seeing max squads blowing up everything. If you can point me to some serious fun not getting blown up by squads, that would be excellent. Preferably big dice pools or some easily set up long range Yavaris blow ups with an Onager super weapon. If I must use max squads and combo squads to survive high-meta, I will do so (albeit extremely unhappily). 

Small MSU is completely competitively dead? 

1 starhawk can 1v1 an SSD? 

MMJ? 

Superactivations still a thing? 

Which objectives should I get very familiar with? 

--

What upgrades are stellar? 

I've been testing this build out for the hawk, I've been enjoying it a lot so far. 

Edited by EbonHawk

On 2/4/2020 at 4:37 PM, namdoolb said:

The buff on evade tokens at extreme range means you pretty much need to be doing two accuracies,  and even with the confire command you've only got 5 dice to start with...
You'll probably get one accuracy which you'll need to block their scatter,  they'll cancel  your two best remaining dice;  you'll just scratch their hull if you're lucky.

Intel Officer makes that decision a little harder for your opponent. 

On 2/5/2020 at 7:55 AM, Derpzilla88 said:

Tried out the Starhawk this past weekend and had a blast using it. I'd built it to do some speed 0 shenanigans, including the Concord title and Bail Organa for first activation attack after slowing something down. But I botched up the timing on when I would need to slow down to speed 0, so that plan went out the window and I just settled for double-arcing as much as possible while slowly moving forward.

This is what I was trying to get at (or properly express) in an earlier conversation (I believe in a different thread) about the inherent limitations of the Magnite Tractor Beam. It can be powerful, but it's far from overpowered because so much has to go right to use its full effect. Mess up the timing and it effectively goes unused. For those saying it's inherently overpowered or provides a negative player experience, I can't say I agree.

Edited by Rmcarrier1
Typo

2 hours ago, codytx2 said:

Intel Officer makes that decision a little harder for your opponent. 

Very true

I don't use Intel officer enough,  that seems like a really good fit though

38 minutes ago, namdoolb said:

Very true

I don't use Intel officer enough,  that seems like a really good fit though

Neither do I but I want to try it out. 

Here's some theory crafting made practice

Commence primary ignition (30/387/400)

======================================

Imperial II-class Star Destroyer (120 + 69: 189)

+ Darth Vader (36)

+ Strategic Adviser (4)

+ Gunnery Team (7)

+ Electronic Countermeasures (7)

+ Quad Battery Turrets (5)

+ Chimaera (4)

+ Intensify Firepower! (6)

Onager-class Star Destroyer (110 + 31: 141)

+ Intel Officer (7)

+ Gunnery Chief Varnillian (6)

+ H9 Turbolasers (8)

+ Orbital Bombardment Particle Cannons (5)

+ Cataclysm (5)

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 + 4: 27)

+ Hondo Ohnaka (2)

+ Comms Net (2)

Ciena Ree (17)

Valen Rudor (13)

Opening Salvo

Contested Outpost

Volatile Deposits

Was going to do an interdictor build, but figured if I'm going to run onager & Vader it's a real shame not to get a proper star destroyer in there.

I'll give it a play sometime over the next couple of weeks & see how it fares

3 hours ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

This is what I was trying to get at (or properly express) in an earlier conversation (I believe in a different thread) about the inherent limitations of the Magnite Tractor Beam. It can be powerful, but it's far from overpowered because so much has to go right to use its full effect. Mess up the timing and it effectively goes unused. For those saying it's inherently overpowered or provides a negative player experience, I can't say I agree.

With all due respect to the guy who said he botched the timing, I don’t see most players making that mistake more than once or twice. Like, remember the first time we all went to use Boarding Troopers and didn’t have the Squadron token? I think the number of times you did that will roughly equate to how often you’re going to forget to hit the brakes on your Starhawk.

I’m not worried about people hitting me with Speed Zero shenanigans now. I’m worried about it becoming a fairly reliable and dominating counter play to ships like the SSD and shrinking the field of viable lists.

Even more worrisome is that it’s not ONLY good against massive targets like the SSD. It can also let you straight-up ace small ships. Raiders, Flotillas, Arqs... any of these could easily be absolutely annihilated. Scary.

Edited by Cpt ObVus

Don't know if it's been said, but taking two CR90s and Cracken on the Starhawk with officer Kyrsta and Local Fire Control led to a pretty interesting test game of a friend mumbling "what do i even shoot" a couple times. Gotta figure out a good fourth ship though

On 2/6/2020 at 10:13 PM, Cpt ObVus said:

With all due respect to the guy who said he botched the timing, I don’t see most players making that mistake more than once or twice. Like, remember the first time we all went to use Boarding Troopers and didn’t have the Squadron token? I think the number of times you did that will roughly equate to how often you’re going to forget to hit the brakes on your Starhawk.

I’m not worried about people hitting me with Speed Zero shenanigans now. I’m worried about it becoming a fairly reliable and dominating counter play to ships like the SSD and shrinking the field of viable lists.

Even more worrisome is that it’s not ONLY good against massive targets like the SSD. It can also let you straight-up ace small ships. Raiders, Flotillas, Arqs... any of these could easily be absolutely annihilated. Scary.

But you have to be speed 0. 

1. You can't un-exhaust the card now until you speed up.

2. If your first player, point 1 is less of a factor, but also requires a big bid to guarantee it, which you really want if so.

3. If you're second player the speed 0 is negatively effecting you as well as the opponent the Hawk just dropped (little less with Agate (com) and Concord(12pts though with the magnites for 22pts that's is a 182pt ship now minimum with the Mark 1)). Compound this further, the Hawk is most likely to drop ships to 0 at long-medium range, thus if first player it's not getting all the dice. If they've got say a MC30 in range as first player, while devastating the Hawk is still sat at 0 as well for the follow up.

4. PPP, Prior Proper Planning. If you've got a ship moving into range of the Magnites queue up some Navs and bank a token, you've now got a speed 2 safety net. Speed 1 with the token alone, which if you can get first player mitigates the magnites entirely, unless they've brought phylon tractor beams which is again more points and still doesn't affect your dials.

IMHO, speed 0 magnite will be a gimmick. It will either be used very rarely in a certain lucky situation, or a fleet will be built around it and thus have spent 50/60+ points alone just to make that 1 combo work.

It's far more likely we'll see speed 1 magnites, hawk moves in at speed 1/2 then drops on a turn to 1 and brings a ship down with it. This keeps flankers like kittens and glads at bay for a turn or two longer, and forces the opponents hands picking dials. But as long as you have the nav dials set up its more of an annoyance than anything that may hurt really you, just so long as you plan ahead and assume any one of these ships could go to speed 1 this turn, what do I do if that happens.

I guess it's the same as if you're facing an Onager with Orbital Bombardment, don't deploy near its token with all your ships at distance 1 and don't fly in a tight formation, plan ahead. 

On 2/4/2020 at 2:58 PM, Blail Blerg said:

I like the sound of this. 

Good for targeting flotillas too? if the enemy team is pretty much just larges or huge? 

Throw in h9s to block the scatter