Sobonis01

Trying to counter a 2 star hawk list.

Trying to beat my friends double star hawk list.  Been thinking something like this might work.  

The isd has officer palp onboard to keep make people spend defense tokens.  If I can get lucky and d cap both hawks with overload I will be forcing them to discard one token to salvo me, plus salvo, and one for each attack they make.  I don’t see overload as the main focus but as useful card to play when needed.   As I have the Gsd as a good last to 1st and the isd doing double crit effects.   Gunnery team might not be needed on the raider as it can only heavy ion once per turn.  

Is this a good list?

Palp  (393/400)
Empire

Commander: Darth Vader

Objectives: Solar Corona, Station Assault, Contested Outpost

[flagship] Imperial Star Destroyer Kuat Refit (112)
 - Darth Vader (36)
 - Avenger (5)
 - Electronic Counter Measures (7)
 - Heavy Ion Emplacements (9)
 - Emperor Palpatine (3)
 - Assault Concussion Missiles (7)
 - Fire Control Team (2)
= 181 total points

Gladiator I-class Star Destroyer (56)
 - Demolisher (10)
 - Assault Proton Torpedoes (5)
 - Engine Techs (8)
= 79 total points

Raider II-class Corvette (48)
 - Heavy Ion Emplacements (9)
 - Disposable Capacitors (3)
 - Gunnery Team (7)
= 67 total points

Raider II-class Corvette (48)
 - Overload Pulse (8)
 - Disposable Capacitors (3)
 - Gunnery Team (7)
= 66 total points

I haven't played against a Starhawk yet, let alone two of them.  But if your opponent is bringing two Starhawk then their weaknesses will be:

Slow fleet

Poor maneuverability

Few activations

Rather than trying to compete directly with his Big Heavy fleet, why not exploit his weaknesses with objectives that disadvantage them?  Asteroid tactics, for example, where you get points for being alongside obstacles each turn.

You should definitely be looking to out activate and out fly your opponent.

Just now, flatpackhamster said:

I haven't played against a Starhawk yet, let alone two of them.  But if your opponent is bringing two Starhawk then their weaknesses will be:

Slow fleet

Poor maneuverability

Few activations

Rather than trying to compete directly with his Big Heavy fleet, why not exploit his weaknesses with objectives that disadvantage them?  Asteroid tactics, for example, where you get points for being alongside obstacles each turn.

You should definitely be looking to out activate and out fly your opponent.

Also flank and get in their Baffles.

Beating double hawk is actually relatively straightforward. The ship is slow with poor maneuverability and without Agate is much more fragile than you would think. You're not going to get the table, but you can pretty reasonably ignore the flagship and gang up on the second hawk. 

The thing to remember about the Hawk is it's not actually exceptionally dangerous unless it's getting double arcs and salvo. Ignoring it is a very viable approach.

On 2/4/2020 at 12:37 AM, flatpackhamster said:

Slow fleet

Poor maneuverability

Few activations

This, so much this.

I can add one more weakness, though in an indirect way.

If the Starhawk gets kitted out, it will run 180-200 points, counting Agate.  This also depends upon variant and point cost of those upgrades.  Its arcs aren't that crazy, just comparable to what you can do with other Rebel large ships.  So that means the actual damage potential he's putting on the table is a lot less if he brought two generic Rebel larges.  For the points, that leaves something like:  2 Starhawks, 2 flotillas, strat adviser for 5 activations.  Not bad, but still not the six activation list I'm running.  Or, he's dropping flotillas and/or upgrades for some medium squad support, at which point he really hurts for activation.  And there's the question of bid there.

At the moment, I'm running at least a little bit of a bid in my Starhawk lists and looking very specifically at second.  It is a whole lot easier to play a speed-2 ship if you have objective control.  Having two of those monsters just exacerbates that problem.

You have some decent options:

Activation control, and then shoot well, get more shots, make better shots.

Squadron control, and then pound out the non-Agate Starhawk

Objective control: Combine with either of the above and bag 100+ points on objectives.   Kill one starhawk and bag 100+ points on objectives and you're at 10-1.  It should be possible to avoid losing anything to speed-2 ships when you've got two of activation, objective, and squadron control and are dead neutral on the third.