Sign in to follow this  
Stagsquad13

Kylo, Holo +2 (hyperspace)

Kylo is the pillar of the FO faction.  Holo looks really interesting. How would you round out the squad? I assume you want some fodder for the bad tokens from Holo. 
I’m an advocate of two Zeta Squadron survivors. They are tanky, have great time on target. Pre points I often used them as the anchor of my list as a more interesting alternative to Tavson. 

Kylo with AdOps and Holo with Daredevil leaves room for Vonreg with Daredevil and a nice bid, but you might want to be careful with who you are passing tokens to...

Maybe Malarus and an Epsilon?

Muse and some other TIE?

Not that 2 Zetas wouldn't be viable

I've been testing First Order double ace + 2 lists myself. I'm mostly using Vonreg instead of Holo, plus Kylo, but it's a tiny difference in cost, so pick your poison.

Vonreg (Daredevil) + Kylo (Optics) leaves you 61 points. That's 64 if you use Holo instead of Vonreg.

With those points, you can:

• Get a third ace. I think this is bad. Ship counts are just too high in Hyperspace for triple aces to do well.
  • Get two TIE/fos. I really like Scorch (for another big gun) and Lt. Rivas. Add Fanatical to Scorch and you can potentially have double mods on all four ships. Does quite well against most mass generic lists, but gets murdered by 4x Fearless Fangs.
  • Get two naked TIE/sfs. You'd have to use Holo or drop the Optics from Kylo to fit both. Not a fan, as I've found the sfs can just be ignored by many lists.
  • Keep only Kylo. Get Backdraft with optics, and two i2 generic TIE/sfs with optics. Very consistent damage, similar to what you get with resistance A-Wings. Has enough bid to win the i5 race, but is vulnerable to i6 aces.
  • Keep only Vonreg, add Deuterium Power Cells. Same as above, but use the I3 generics with Fanatical. Incredibly consistent damage, and increases the survivability of the sfs as they can start evading if threatened, while still having offensive mods. Vonreg can always regen back above half points so long as he's alive. Will win the bid against almost anything except Boba/Fenn.

I've tested the first four extensively, and found them all similar in power level. Of the first four, my favorite is Vonreg/Kylo/Scorch/Rivas, if only it didn't get Fang'd to death every time.

I've not tested the last one, but it looks (on paper) to be a pretty solid middle ground against common hyperspace archetypes. More health, consistent damage, and regen on Vonreg.

So I flew Kylo and three SFs at two trials last year, pre points, and did fairly well. That list has only got better since the points change as many of its natural predators are now gone from the meta. 
I am concerned about the two naked SFs being too weak to truly hurt anything. But they will get shots with the rear arcs. some local players did well with Kylo, Quickdraw and two naked SFs and swear by them. All good points made above though 

1 hour ago, Stagsquad13 said:

So I flew Kylo and three SFs at two trials last year, pre points, and did fairly well. That list has only got better since the points change as many of its natural predators are now gone from the meta. 
I am concerned about the two naked SFs being too weak to truly hurt anything. But they will get shots with the rear arcs. some local players did well with Kylo, Quickdraw and two naked SFs and swear by them. All good points made above though 

To elaborate on the "too weak to hurt anything" comment, I've found that two-die ships with single mods really struggle to deal damage against stuff with three agility. The prevalence of Fang Fighters, Resistance A-Wings, Jedi, and Vader mean there's a fair chunk of the playing field that will only take the odd bit of damage from them here or there, allowing the other player to focus their efforts on killing the pieces that are actually dangerous.

Against anything else, the naked SFs are fine.