immortalfrieza

Times players have made GMs go "WHAT!?!"

As a player:

A F&D campaign. The three of us present for the session had just built our lightsabers and, following another thread, had gone to a university campus. (One of the characters is an archaeologist.) An Inquisitor tracked us down, and had one character by the throat.

Me: We’re inside a building?

GM: Yes.

Me: Are classes held in this building?

Me: Are classes in session right now?

Me: I pull the fire alarm.

Students flood out of the classrooms to evacuate, breaking the Inquisitor and player apart.

GM leaves the room to refresh his drink. We hear a scream from the hall.

3 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

As a player:

A F&D campaign. The three of us present for the session had just built our lightsabers and, following another thread, had gone to a university campus. (One of the characters is an archaeologist.) An Inquisitor tracked us down, and had one character by the throat.

Students flood out of the classrooms to evacuate, breaking the Inquisitor and player apart.

Well played.

Players are on Dxun, end up fighting an Immature Zakkeg. One player has a vibroaxe and decides to run and powerslide underneath the Zakkeg and slit it end to end as he slids. Rolls successfully. Follow up player successfully does the same slide and shoves a Thermal Detonator into the wound.

These were the first two initiative slots. Third was supposed to be the Zakkeg. He died before he got to move. 

11 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

As a player:

Were I the GM, I would be pleased. That's the sort of clever tactic you would see in a movie.

Ages and ages ago, back in the D6 days, the players were running a bar on a little rim-world, something nice and out of the way. As these things tend to do, The Mob rolled into town, set up their own shop, got the corrupt local politicians in their pocket and started putting pressure on the local businesses as they tried to run everyone else out of town. Now the GM was expecting us to go to war with The Mob, there'd be some gun fights and everything would be solved with lots of violence. Easy peasy. Ah, but not so fast!

"Is there an election coming up soon?"

"Um, sure. Yes."

"Fine. Lets run for office, and get the corrupt politicians out. We'll beat the mob through legal means."

"Wait - what?"

"Yeah, we can get all Elliot Ness on them."

"Ummm. . . ."

The GM had to call the session that night to figure out what the **** to do, now that all his notes for the night had just flown out the window. And yes, next week - we had the wacky adventure of trying to win the local elections through (reasonably) peaceful but devious means.

Well, one of my memories as a player is actually from D&D, because that sample encounter my friend set up to show me that D&D was infinitely superior to AoR (he failed) was one of the very few times I've actually played as a player.

First, he had me as a halfling Rogue fight an animate bush. We argued for a couple minutes about whether a rapier should actually be able to damage a bush (effectively), but here's how it went.

GM: The animate bush seems very agitated and looks like it wants to attack you. You have initiative, what do you do?
Me: I charm it.
GM: Okaaay... [difficulty]
Me: [rolls and fails]
GM: He doesn't buy it.
[skipping a turn]
Me: I'll coerce it into submission!
GM: Okaaay...
Me: [rolls a nat 20]
GM: Okay, you have a bush friend now. Then, a huge frog jumps out of the swamp and comes towards you.
Me: I throw the bush at the frog.
Me: [rolls lower than frog's AC]
GM: It bounces off the frog, and your bush dies.
[we then argued for a couple minutes about whether a bush can die by bouncing off a frog]
GM: The frog tries to swallow you [rolls a nat 1]
Me: So the frog gets me in its mouth, but doesn't swallow me?
Me: I stab it through the brain!

Also as a Player, but in a PbP:

Me: Okay, so I know the rest of my stormtrooper squad burnt down her village, and she telekinetically just threw a boulder at me, but my Brawn 4, Presence 2 stormtrooper sergeant has a soft spot for kids, and there are more people coming to try to catch the kid (who aren't allied with the Empire), and he'd want to protect her. Alright, GM. I'm the only one up here with the kid who is hiding in the boulder field. I take off my helmet, and I put my blaster rifle down before I climbed up here looking for the kid. I warn her that she is in danger, and offer to protect her.
GM: I love you for trying, but it's going to be a Daunting Charm check with 2 Setback.
Me: [rolls 3 Success] He instantly regrets his life choices as he remembers that there is an inquisitor and an Emperor's Hand in the group.

3 hours ago, kaosoe said:

Were I the GM, I would be pleased. That's the sort of clever tactic you would see in a movie.

3 hours ago, Varlie said:

Agreed.  I have not issues at all tossing my planned combat/adventure for the night when the players come up with something very creative like this

Oh, he definitely rolled with it. He’s great that way. In an enjoyable, non-adversarial way, he challenges us and we challenge him to be a bit unexpected.

Such as another F&D campaign in which he adapted the WotC Tempest Feud module, and in the climactic face-off against the Force sensitive Hutt, I made judicious use of a mimetic skin suit, Shroud, and Now You See Me to become invisible to him, invisible in the Force, and make him forget I existed, ending up not wailing on him with my lightsaber, but making him lose the support of his underlings because they thought he’d lost his mind, so they turned against him. Used that same combo later when we ran into Jerserra. She’d conjured up some ghostly night sisters as well, and the GM allowed it, saying, “Fine, she can’t see you or sense you, but the nightsisters can.” “No they can’t. They’re creations of the Force and I’m invisible in the Force until the end of the encounter, thanks to Shroud.” 🤣

Or there’s the time that, around Christmas, I turned the end of Act I of Chronicles of the Gatekeeper into A Christmas Carol. He went with it, the dice went my way, and a good time was had by all.

I apologize if I've you've read this one before, but still gets me...  Flat out turned a dead end into victory.

• Starter Game on Mos Shoota (sic).  There's a number of dead ends, and the player wanted to actually converse with the shop owners.
  • They bee-line to the luxury curiosity shop.  Manual flat out says it's a dead end, so I made the twi'lek Frank Nelson (that jerk who always says yyyyyyeeeeeeeees?).  So nothing happened there outside of the player instantly saying "oh no, it's him."
  • I made the dewback stable owner a lax cynical woman (early 30s).  They were brash with her, so she raised the price on the dewbacks out of their pocket range.  Droid asks if they could barter, I had the lady brush it off with a "better be good" leave me alone reply.
  • So they head back to the luxury shop.  The players confirmed that the shop keeper knew the dewback stable woman, and asked if she had anything in the shop she wanted.  Sensing a joke, I had the guy present a 12" statue of a shirtless Kit Fisto, saying she'd been eyeing this for a while.  The barter price was both of the droid's hands, I figured that would be the end of that.
  • The droid agreed and also offered affectionate wookie hugs to sweeten the deal.  Sticking to character I had the twi'lek go in for the hugs ... which they quickly turned into a brutal intimidation shakedown for the statue and other goods while the wookie was crushing the foppish twi'lek's ribs.  XD
  • This eventually lead to me figuring out how much damage a dewback stampede does to a pack of storm troopers. 

He bypassed a solid chunk of the game and I had to think on the fly to create new challenges just so he'd have SOMETHING to figure out for the finale.  lol

22 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

As a player:

The only regret I have is that there isn't a "THAT'S F***ING AWESOME!" Reaction button on this forum.

Recently I GM'd a One Shot I created for my players as a break from our regular campaign and so I could sit a few newbies down to give them a taste.

The players all rolled a d20 and I assigned them 1 of 20 minion characters I had written up, from Jawas to Ewoks to Wookiees. A large selection of races. But all with very low WT. I intended for them to reroll a few times during the session.

Well, the setting was an abandoned space station. The PC's wake up in Bacta Tanks with no recollection of how they got there. And had to muddle there way through things opening lockers to get basic gear and reading computer logs to find out what was going on. Turns out they were all patients to he experimented on.

They get out into a hallway and they hear this scratching sound mixed with a soft chewing sort of sound. Pretty ominous.

The wookiee of course Growls at the sound as loud as he could. I'm like "WHAAAAT."

Then a massive Krykna Spider comes around the corner, running at them down the hallway, spiralling along the walls and ceiling.

That was the last time they would shout at anything else that session.

Okay. So we were playing Beyond the Rim and we are at the very end of Chol'ganna. If you don't want to spoil the story come back, when you played it :)

The group found the survivors through many hardships, there's one time where they effectively got IT-3PO destroyed (fled from the Cyber Nexus inside the ship and they wanted to descent through climbing gear through a hole on the wreckage -> failure with despair, fell from medium range - I told them they can put it back together, but they ended up begging me to rewind this, anyway....). So they Yiyars had been imprisoned in the village after an attempted robbery on Harsols safe. The imps arrived and the PCs allied with the Yiyars and the refugees to repel them. They split up, to get their ships and a decoy team, leaving most of the civilians in the village. When they got back, I presented them a hostage situation, where the  Agent barricaded himself in the main building threatening the PCs to blow everyone and everything up.

I triggered the backstory of the Trader of the group, whose family was taken by the Imps early and one of the Stormtroopers were directed out - her indoctrinated brother, to blackmail her. Long story short, she was breathless what to do with the situation, when the Bounty Hunter took their ship and blow up the whole building (of course with despair), Imps, hostages and the brother of the trader. That was a mess, that the group still hadn't completely processed yet :D 

Edited by Rimsen

23 hours ago, immortalfrieza said:

The only regret I have is that there isn't a "THAT'S F***ING AWESOME!" Reaction button on this forum.

Well, for what it's worth, it only delayed the Inquisitor kicking our behinds. But it was still a glorious moment.

Character creation one of the players said, “I would like to play a Klingon!”

I said “We are playing Star Wars though...”

” I know.”

”Klingons are a species from Star Trek.”

” I know.”

”Well there are species that would fit that role quite well.”

” But I want him to be Klingon.”

”WHAT!?!”

Was just reminded of this reading a post in the FaD forums. 

Chronicles of Gatekeeper (mild spoiler, the big spoiler will be in spoiler tag)

When running the PCs through Chronicles of the Gatekeeper, the PCs defeated Gel Marcroft but were split between what to do with him.  They ended up freezing him in Carbonite and storing him on their ship until they could decide.

It worked out because when they faced Warde, they managed to succeed the difficult challenge of getting him to listen to them rather than attack.  He finally saw that they weren't there to kill him and then he expressed his concern over his lost padawan and how he never finished his training....

Yup, they roll him off the ship and thaw him out and Warde and Marcroft head off to the unknowns to reconnect to the Light Side

or Dark Side. The GM in me hasn't decided and they could show back up in the future.

Players were trying to break into the Bespin central banking system by capturing a banking droid and hacking into it without (to steal transaction information, not cash) raising any alarms.  Everything went according to plan.  But when they finished the hack they realized they had this fully functional droid evidence/witness that would be a problem.  Ideas were brainstormed.  Memory wipe, kill and toss in a dumpster, etc, but every plan had flaws that could lead back to the party.  My hope as the GM was to use one of those flaws to have law enforcement track them down.

Then someone got a crazy idea.  Toss the thing off the side of the city.  No evidence, no witness, the droid just goes missing.

The next day rumors start swirling around the underworld that a banking droid was found on a gas mining rig in a lower orbit than the city and law enforcement was investigating.

The players split up that evening, and tossed several more banking droids over the side of the city, then made a statement taking responsibility as some anti-government, anarchist terrorist group they made up.  They even recruited some patsies and started creating an actual organization, then they tipped off the cops as to where a meeting was being held in order to get the organization busted.  It turned out to be quite an over the top cover up to their crime.

Am I really that jaded?  I can't think of anything that really "surprised" or sidelined me recently.

The only thing I can think of is from a World of Greyhawk campaign where the PC's were hired to assist with a military campaign.

The Dwarf had some Engineering skills and decided to build a Trebuchet and the player made a brilliant roll on his skill check.

Happy with the result the player excitedly blurts out in character "Va chercher la vache!"

The GM (somewhat fluent in French) had a slow uptake on the reference and decided THAT would be a good time to take a sip of his Pepsi.  It also didn't help that the player in question mispronounced this very French phrase the same way the Monty Python crew did (in The Holy Grail).

Next thing we all knew the GM was doing an actual spit take and flushed some of the Pepsi through his nose.

We had to take a break . . . 

5 hours ago, Mark Caliber said:

Am I really that jaded?  I can't think of anything that really "surprised" or sidelined me recently.

The only thing I can think of is from a World of Greyhawk campaign where the PC's were hired to assist with a military campaign.

The Dwarf had some Engineering skills and decided to build a Trebuchet and the player made a brilliant roll on his skill check.

Happy with the result the player excitedly blurts out in character "Va chercher la vache!"

The GM (somewhat fluent in French) had a slow uptake on the reference and decided THAT would be a good time to take a sip of his Pepsi.  It also didn't help that the player in question mispronounced this very French phrase the same way the Monty Python crew did (in The Holy Grail).

Next thing we all knew the GM was doing an actual spit take and flushed some of the Pepsi through his nose.

We had to take a break . . . 

🤣🤣🤣 ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!🤣🤣🤣

I'm scared to admit this as I see people on reddit begging for GMs for online games all the time, but my main group is all GMs and we play online.  We've all GM'd various systems for years.  So the group tends to come up with creative solutions.  They are all ultra-aware of meta-thinking and really force themselves to RP their characters which tends to lead to ridiculous situations.

They've used light freighters as guided missiles on more than one occasion.  Launching them at Hutt palaces and Imperial bases.  They've strapped a bunch of anti-vehicle mines to speeder bikes and used remote controls to drive them into AT-ATs.  The funny part is they always complain about how broke they are...I keep pointing out how they've launched a fortune worth of vehicles as ballistic missiles just to save time/effort.

A moment that made the whole party go "What?"  On a jungle planet the party came across a hostile group of monkey like creatures that attacked from the trees.  One of the players was attacked and due to a few surprising rolls of the dice, his arm was ripped clean from his body by one of the irate monkeys.  I saw it as a sort of blessing as I figured a cybernetic arm with agility bonus would be appreciated by the gunslinger.  The doctor refused to just stabilize him and insisted he was going to reattach the arm right there in the jungle.  He pulled out all the stops, getting an assist from another character and flipping a destiny point, he rolled 3 triumphs.  It was hard to argue with those kind of results...so he reattached the arm with full functionality in the middle of a jungle with only a standard med kit.  He now refuses to treat minor wounds as that's beneath his skill.  Everyone hates the arrogant doctor.  Oh, and he's a Givin, that dresses in black robes.  Nothing like the angel of death as your medic.

One time they needed to free a prisoner from a heavily guarded Imperial facility (not a prison).  They did a lot of recon, bought equipment, came up with crazy mission impossible solutions to infiltrating the building from multiple angles at the same time in order to distract guards, hack security systems, infiltrate the building from the roof, etc.  Everything was timed out and perfect.  The target was rescued, and they could have easily left the building the same way they came in, but for some reason they instead decided to forget all the carefully orchestrated plans and shoot their way out the front door while also stealing stuff from the armory.  They then stole a speeder, led the imperials on a chase into the slums (populated by innocent aliens), ditched the speeder, stashed the weapons in an innocent business owners shop, and skipped town.  They tend to just leave a trail of destruction everywhere they go.

I had an adventure where they were supposed to figure out how to sneak aboard an Imperial freighter, take control, and escape with it without the Imperials finding out.  I had thought through all the various scenarios of how they could do this including what would happen when they resorted overt violence instead of playing the stealth game.  The previous adventure included a deadly plague, so the doctor created a non-lethal form of the plague that showed all the physical symptoms of the plague and acted as a vaccine to the actual plague, the exposed just themselves to this vaccine plague, then released the actual plague on the station including the crew that was resupplying the Imperial ship.  They literally just needed to sneak on board a lightly guarded Imperial transport, subdue a few crew/guards, and drop the ship out of hyperspace early...but instead they became bio-terrorists as they wiped out an space station with thousands of people.  Best part.  The entire reason they were supposed to steal this particular ship.  It had a bunch of political prisoners the Rebels wanted to free.  They all died from the plague.  They no longer get rescue missions.

My players very rarely truly surprise me. They are not the most creative bunch and I weave tons of plot threads as I go in order to give as many possible paths as possible.

However, I am introducing my GF to this system and was giving her a small side adventure tutorial. Her character is a Squib Droid Tech, and she had gotten into a run in with a Weequay thug and got into a short chase scene that ended up having the thug knocked out. She found out he had a small stash that she raided for droid parts but saw there was a bunch of spice in it and a liquid Tibanna canister. She promptly set it up to explode, all as expected. 

HOWEVER, the Bothan Spy that had been dealing with the Weequay needed one of the parts she stole and held her up at blasterpoint until they had a short chat where she negotiated to get paid for it.

Me: He agrees to pay you what he was going to pay the Weequay for the part.

GF: Plus an extra 50 credits.

Me: Roll an Average Negotiation check.

GF: *Rolls two success and two advantage* and he gives me his blaster.

Me:.... huh??

GF: I want his blaster.

Me: *internally going wtf slightly and flips a Destiny point* uh... hard negotiation check upgraded once

GF: *With two green and one yellow, rolls a Triumph and one success* So... that's good, right?

Me: *Faceplants onto table* Yes

Needless to say, I have now a player I have to watch out for when it comes to random ideas... which I love for a change 

Edited by GameboyAK

On 2/7/2020 at 12:28 PM, kmanweiss said:

They've used light freighters as guided missiles on more than one occasion.  Launching them at Hutt palaces and Imperial bases.  They've strapped a bunch of anti-vehicle mines to speeder bikes and used remote controls to drive them into AT-ATs.  The funny part is they always complain about how broke they are...I keep pointing out how they've launched a fortune worth of vehicles as ballistic missiles just to save time/effort.

Aw... and I thought my B1 droid character doing the same thing with a speeder was thinking outside the box. Then again, she did it to avoid risking the lives of her troops as much as possible. Considering she defeated a gang of over 50 with only 4 losses (of which this was the final assault) it seems like that worked.

On 2/7/2020 at 1:46 PM, GameboyAK said:

Me: *internally going wtf slightly and flips a Destiny point* uh... hard negotiation check upgraded once

GF: *With two green and one yellow, rolls a Triumph and one success* So... that's good, right?

Needless to say, I have now a player I have to watch out for when it comes to random ideas... which I love for a change 

If this ended with anything other than the GF subsequently shooting the guy and taking back the part, I'll be disappointed.

Edited by immortalfrieza

1 hour ago, immortalfrieza said:
On 2/7/2020 at 10:46 AM, GameboyAK said:

If this ended with anything other than the GF subsequently shooting the guy and taking back the part, I'll be disappointed

The Bothan was a Rebel spy, and she's a goody goody (which breaks my Imperial heart). If she had shot him, it would have certainly made it more interesting... but she ended up getting a bonus in the end, despite even having that pistol confiscated at an Imperial checkpoint