Mimi61

Best uses of Stick to the Plan

I don’t generally gravitate to guardians, but with so many new cards in the last while, I want going to spread my wings a bit.  I realize this will vary based on investigator, but what are some of your best uses for Stick to the Plan? Including cards that have been recently released.  

The biggest thing to realise with Stick to the Plan is that it allows you to include single copies of the three cards you intend to attach to it without worrying. Generally, if you have a good card in your deck and especially if it's a card you want to use early, you should be looking to include 2 copies to maximise your chances of drawing it - even if the second copy would be somewhat redundant. But Stick to the Plan lets you include one copy of a vital setup card and save another deck slot for something else - particularly if you have limited off-class slots. It also helps you get maximum value out of the single off-class slot opened up with Versatile - finding a single card in a deck of 35+ cards is a bit of a nightmare, but if you can always have access to it, the tradeoff is far more worth it.

So for suggestions:

A single copy of Prepared for the Worst is a classic, as insurance if you don't get a weapon in your starting 5.

Emergency Cache is a pretty obvious bet - Guardians can need a lot of resources, especially early on in the game. Emergency Cache (2) is even better - since the cards on Stick to the Plan aren't in your hand, you're actually gaining a card in hand, making it that much more efficient. And if you rely on anything with Uses (Supplies), like Venturers, First Aid or Mk 1 Grenades, Emergency Cache (3) is amazing.

If you run an asset-heavy build, Ever Vigilant is very solid. I'd never use it without Stick to the Plan, since you need to have access to it alongside 3 assets in order to get the proper value out of it - using it to play 2 assets saves you 2 resources and 1 action, but that's rougly the same value as Emergency Cache (0) so I'd not use it unless I was relatively consistently playing it for 3 assets.

Extra Ammunition is pretty good if you run expensive, low-ammo weapons like the Shotgun or Lightning Gun - often, Extra Ammunition can be annoying if you have it in hand before you have a weapon out, but Stick to the Plan solves that problem.

Better still is Custom Ammunition - since Custom Ammunition is Limit 1 per asset, having a second copy would often go to waste. Stick to the Plan solves that problem.

Dynamite Blast is a great emergency card but unless you need it will often just clog up your hand - or worse, you may need it but not draw it. Having it under Stick to the Plan (for a resource-heavy build) will mean you always have that emergency solution.

The same applies for Elusive and Cunning Distraction - high-impact cards that can get you out of really tight spots.

And if your Stick to the Plan slots aren't already spoken for, you'll never be sad to have a Shortcut or Dodge always available.

Worthy of mention is Astounding Revelation - the search part of Stick to the Plan will trigger it and give you 2 extra resources from the beginning, though you wouldn't be attaching it to Stick to the Plan itself.

Certain specific builds and investigators have specific priorities.

For example, if you're playing a .45 Thompson build, Prepared for the Worst is a critical component since your deck revolves around getting a specific weapon into play. Custom Ammunition is likewise excellent since it attaches to the .45 Thompson, giving you extra damage to offset the 2 damage of the weapon, refunds part of its cost since the ammo it creates will turn into resources, and since it is an attachment it will be returned to hand along with the Thompson if you attach Well-Maintained to the Thompson. For your final slot, you would probably want a single Emergency Cache so that you can get the initial board state set up, or Act of Desperation to help your combo come together, or another ammo card to create even more resources (Contraband is a hilarious option for Zoey, but it's overall too slow to be worth it).

Conversely, if you were playing Carolyn Fern, you might instead take Dynamite Blast to get you out of tight spots, an Emergency Cache to attenuate the high cost of setup (plenty of 4-cost allies in Carolyn builds), and Teamwork to share the profits once your resource engine gets going. If going for a cleaver build, you might instead attach a Prepared for the Worst to ensure you get your central weapon, or if going for a more conventional seeker-like build, "I've got a plan!" can help a lot.

And if you were playing a generic fighter build, you might simply go for Dodge, First Watch and Taunt, to have high-value, efficient cards that let you Guard better.

Basically: If you only want to use the card once, if you would really want to see it in your opening hand (especially if it's not worth mulliganing for) or if you could be in a situation where you really wish you had it, it's a good choice for Stick to the Plan. One of the great things about Stick to the Plan is that its power increases as your deck gets better - if you take it with your first 6 exp it will give you turn 1 access to Emergency Cache (0), Prepared for the Worst and Dodge, say, but then in a few scenarios' time you can spend more exp and get stronger cards to use with it.

Edited by Allonym

Allonym is always so thorough with his responses, that there is not that much to add. I just want to second Ever Vigilant. And potentially mention the value of using Act of Desperation with it as well. If you have a high cost gun of pretty much any sort that you are trying to mulligan for, Act of Desperation will net you back much needed resources to play something new while simultaneously not losing you damage. It can also be a handy way to turn a dead flashlight into an extra attack if you find yourself short on ammo.

The caveat, obviously, is that you have to have access to Survivor cards to use Act of Desperation, but it is a very solid option in my opinion if you are using Mark, Tony, even maybe Zoey though the latter needs resources less. It's a very nice option with Mark.

Delay the inevitable can also be useful simply because it is damage prevention and fast so costs no actions. The issue, obviously, is that Dodge is going to be the better use unless you plan on letting delay sit out to soak something from a non-enemy... A certain hex that does 10 damage, for instance.

Edited by Soakman

Leo and Zoey can take Contraband, which can be worth it.   Probably Extra Ammunition or Custom Ammunition are better most of the time,  but Contraband is 0 xp, and can potentially provide more ammo.  

Edited by awp832

56 minutes ago, Allonym said:

Dynamite Blast is a great emergency card but unless you need it will often just clog up your hand - or worse, you may need it but not draw it. Having it under Stick to the Plan (for a resource-heavy build) will mean you always have that emergency solution.

The same applies for Elusive and Cunning Distraction - high-impact cards that can get you out of really tight spots.

And if your Stick to the Plan slots aren't already spoken for, you'll never be sad to have a Shortcut or Dodge always available.

Worthy of mention is Astounding Revelation - the search part of Stick to the Plan will trigger it and give you 2 extra resources from the beginning, though you wouldn't be attaching it to Stick to the Plan itself.

I have thought of many of the things you mentioned, but Dynamite blast, Elusive, Cunning Distraction make great sense for certain investigators.  Ever Vigilant was one of the first cards I thought of, because of the resource to action ratio, but Astounding revelation wasn’t even on my radar. 

So if you were playing Lola, whom I have also never played, how would you use Stick to the Plan, or could you even use it with off class cards attached? It is a guardian card in and of itself, but you can put other class cards on it which are treated as if they were in her hand, so which role would she be triggering to use it? 

43 minutes ago, Soakman said:

Delay the inevitable can also be useful simply because it is damage prevention and fast so costs no actions. The issue, obviously, is that Dodge is going to be the better use unless you plan on letting delay sit out to soak something from a non-enemy... A certain hex that does 10 damage, for instance.

I’ve been burned by that hex before...

4 minutes ago, Mimi61 said:

I have thought of many of the things you mentioned, but Dynamite blast, Elusive, Cunning Distraction make great sense for certain investigators.  Ever Vigilant was one of the first cards I thought of, because of the resource to action ratio, but Astounding revelation wasn’t even on my radar. 

So if you were playing Lola, whom I have also never played, how would you use Stick to the Plan, or could you even use it with off class cards attached? It is a guardian card in and of itself, but you can put other class cards on it which are treated as if they were in her hand, so which role would she be triggering to use it? 

With regards to Lola, I have never played her properly (and have never seen her work, and don't really want to put in the time to learn if I can make her work properly), so I have no suggestions. However, Lola can't use Stick to the Plan at all - the triggering point for the reaction on Stick to the Plan is "before you draw your opening hand", and Lola chooses her staring role "after you draw your opening hand", so when Stick to the Plan would trigger during setup, she isn't in Guardian mode so she can't use it.

I forgot to mention that "Let God sort them out..." and Swift Reload are also Tactics, so they would work quite well with Stick to the Plan. Probably the best way to make "Let God Sort Them Out..." work.

17 minutes ago, Allonym said:

With regards to Lola, I have never played her properly (and have never seen her work, and don't really want to put in the time to learn if I can make her work properly), so I have no suggestions. However, Lola can't use Stick to the Plan at all - the triggering point for the reaction on Stick to the Plan is "before you draw your opening hand", and Lola chooses her staring role "after you draw your opening hand", so when Stick to the Plan would trigger during setup, she isn't in Guardian mode so she can't use it.

I forgot to mention that "Let God sort them out..." and Swift Reload are also Tactics, so they would work quite well with Stick to the Plan. Probably the best way to make "Let God Sort Them Out..." work.

Yes, she has always mystified me. But that was part of my confusion. I saw Stick to the Plan in her available cards for her deck build and was curious as to how that would work. But that’s absolutely true, she has no class before she starts. I guess she would technically start as a neutral class. 
I need to look at Let God Sort them Out. 

Edited by Mimi61

Yeah, poor Lola can buy Stick to the Plan but never use it.

I do play a lot of Guardian and I usually buy SttP at some point during the campaign. I usually put Emergency Cache and Ever Vigilant under my SttP and mulligan hard for 3 assests just to hit the scenario running. Even with only 2 cards played from Ever Vigilant, it's typically well worth it just for the tempo.

The third slot is either Prepared for the Worst or an Extra/Custom Ammo, depending on my feels.

I haven't played Tommy yet, but he adds some spice to the decisions. I honestly think "Fool me Once" is a great candidate, maybe for Tommy who doesn't stress about money as much. Tommy could also tuck a Waylay under it should they be headed into Undimensioned and Unseen. Waylay is just silly in that scenario.

While I don't think it's the best use of it over a campaign, there are some scenarios that I like having Ambush on Stick to the Plan. Usually when I'm replaying a scenario and I know there's an enemy on the back of an Agenda card. There's something satisfying about, say, The Masked Hunter trying to surprise you only to find out that he's walked into your trap.

7 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

Late in the campaign last time I played a guardian, I put ever vigilant and emergency cache in there, then really aggressively mulliganed for my big guns, so that I could put it and maybe another asset down first turn.

Well, you can usually play only one card from „Stick to the Plan“ per Round, as you have to exhaust it.

7 hours ago, Iuchi Toshimo said:

I haven't played Tommy yet, but he adds some spice to the decisions. I honestly think "Fool me Once" is a great candidate, maybe for Tommy who doesn't stress about money as much. Tommy could also tuck a Waylay under it should they be headed into Undimensioned and Unseen. Waylay is just silly in that scenario.

Ah Waylay. Such fond memories of that card in the right circumstances. 
Fool Me Once... Interesting idea. That could be good for Carolyn too. I used it recently in a Skids deck I played for a standalone and it wasn’t quite as effective as I’d hoped, because it came up too late to do much good. You have to be a little picky choosy about which cards you can use it on. You don’t want to use it on a card whose effects can’t be resolved until the encounter deck runs out, or act has to be advanced obviously. So having it out from the get go could be interesting. Especially, if you know some of the hairy treachery cards in an encounter deck. 

Edited by Mimi61

16 hours ago, Astrophil84 said:

Well, you can usually play only one card from „Stick to the Plan“ per Round, as you have to exhaust it.

Huh. You're right, I played that wrong.

Almost always for Guardians I put 1x Ever Vigilant on it.  It feels like those two cards are the same experience buy honestly.  Guardians almost always start with a large hand of assets the way I play them and getting that first/second turn setup is extremely important.  Also I usually put Dynamite Blast and Extra Ammo on it since those are two emergency button cards.  As Allonym points out the nice thing about Stick To The Plan is it lets you lower situational cards like Dynamite Blast and Ever Vigilant to 1x without ruining their consistency.

I'm echoing most on there that Ever Vigilant and some form of Emergency Cache (I like (3), if you can afford the xp) are two staples I'd put on a Guardian build, no matter what the investigator. I like to mulligan hard, set up early and be ready for what's coming. 

As for the third card, I think it depends in part on what Guardian you're playing. A few thoughts on what that card could be:

Carolyn Fern: Dynamite Blast or better D-Blast (2),  although truth be told it sat there for many of the scenarios I had it available. She can afford it, she doesn't really have any major weapons to speak of (nor should she), and it is situationally pretty useful.

Leo Anderson: if you're running the BAR, having Contraband under the Plan is the way to go. Fill that sucker up once it shows up.

Mark: I kind of go with variety here. Could be a Shortcut or Elusive to be handy when you need it, or something like Custom Ammo if you're playing a scenario with a lot of monster-monsters.

there are others and these might be older cards, but have to test run with some of the new Dreamy crop yet,.

6 hours ago, Krysmopompas said:

'm echoing most on there that Ever Vigilant and some form of Emergency Cache (I like (3), if you can afford the xp) are two staples I'd put on a Guardian build, no matter what the investigator. I like to mulligan hard, set up early and be ready for what's coming. 

As for the third card, I think it depends in part on what Guardian you're playing. A few thoughts on what that card could be:

Carolyn Fern: Dynamite Blast or better D-Blast (2),  although truth be told it sat there for many of the scenarios I had it available. She can afford it, she doesn't really have any major weapons to speak of (nor should she), and it is situationally pretty useful.

Leo Anderson: if you're running the BAR, having Contraband under the Plan is the way to go. Fill that sucker up once it shows up.

Mark: I kind of go with variety here. Could be a Shortcut or Elusive to be handy when you need it, or something like Custom Ammo if you're playing a scenario with a lot of monster-monsters.

there are others and these might be older cards, but have to test run with some of the new Dreamy crop yet,.

Good thoughts for individual investigators. The tried and true standbys are hard to change out. Kind of like ordering your favorite menu item because it never disappoints! 

I’m currently running Carolyn (2 player with Zoey) through Carcosa and have:

ever vigilant (a must)

dynamite blast (works so well, especially to kill off the man in the pallid mask from distances and still get out of the scenario)

I’ve got a plan (hasn’t always been needed but is very useful when I occasionally find myself separated from Zoey!!)

1 hour ago, Assussanni said:

Having “I’ve Got A Plan” on Stick to the Plan is thematically great even if you don’t use it every game. I wholeheartedly approve!

Yes indeed!!

I really (really, really) wish Stand Together was a tactic card.... I mean really wish..... 🤷‍♂️

26 minutes ago, gazzagames said:

Yes indeed!!

I really (really, really) wish Stand Together was a tactic card.... I mean really wish..... 🤷‍♂️

No, but First Watch, which isn’t exactly the same thing, can be very effective, especially with 3-4 investigators.