RedHotDice

Fan made swag, am I being rude by saying no thanks?

Do you have any x wing friends? Maybe they would like it. Even put it on eBay for cheap. 
Those cards aren’t free. Throwing them in the bin is disrespectful. Being fake is disrespectful. Be honest, I dare say the person on the other side couldn’t give a rats. 
I personally love the creativity that has gone into fan alt cards. I think you are missing out by being a purist, but that’s not for me to say. A lot of people from the same group will hand out these alt cards. 
I had an experience at the Australian SoS where a guy from Singapore gave me his teams fan art Kylo as I was running an FO list. A few games later I played another guy from Singapore and he saw I was using their card. It created an ice breaker moment and something to talk about. I love the greater community aspect of X Wing, just as much as the game. If there was a way to get all the fan alt art cards at a tournament I would so sign up for it. 

Edited by Archangelspiv

13 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

You do realize that commenting on the thread to ask others to not "bump" the thread, actually "bumps" the thread 'eh?

I laughed, but then wondered if you were being coy and funny (I'm hoping), or if you were akin to the old guy in the neighborhood yelling for us to "stay off your lawn"? 

...grab a tea mate, you'll feel better and enjoy the day.

Cheers!

Screw it.

I refrained from reminding for two posts, then there was yours. Of course I get called out on it, the fates are not friends of mine in the short term, it seems. So out of fairness.

14 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

Not to irritate @gadwag or anything (sorry, scroll down a bit sir), but I have my 2 cents:

1) Here's my advice: As far as fan-made stuff, think what you like, but always be kind to those who play the game and especially to those who go above and create or like to give out "fan made" items (this term to include all those items for the game made by players or outside the FFG/Asmodee machine). I think this is the thread's (possible) overall consensus. 

Here's my wisdom: As you get older, you will recognize the importance of things that are personal. Factory made, well done, machined stuff is nice and fits the bill when your young or even as you get older too. However, items made by people that are more creative but obviously less refined and industrial will become far more important to you as your history begins to weigh as heavily as your possibilities. A crayon scribbled note will one day be far more cherished than the most interactive and ornate Hallmark Card. Also too, my slightly blurry Inquisitor Portrait Pilot card from 1.0 is ALWAYS used over my Factory card.

In other words @RedHotDice, I feel the opposite in regards to your post, but it's fine and actually good to be different, for I don't have hot dice, so we re on opposite sides of the spectrum there as well.  

...now where's my tea?

20 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Part of the reasons I enjoy X-Wing's Organized Play so much is it gives me the chance to meet new players, see new lists in action and above all have a laugh and a good time.

Rather than just playing friends or people in my local area, I've played people from the forum, all over the country, around the world.

And over the years, I've been given a bundle of homemade X-Wing swag.  Some of it's practical, some of it's funny, some of it's utterly bizarre... but it"s all appreciated.  It all reminds me of the cool people I've met, the fun games I've had and the events I've attended.

I really need to come up with my own swag for the next event.  Whole the official FFG swag is great for the game, the fan made stuff is all about the fantastic community.

On 1/29/2020 at 7:33 PM, Ebak said:

Send the alt arts and such to me! I collect them! I’m the opposite, I will look around at the UK X-Wing system open (it’s the only large event I go to) just looking for some great fan made content. I am very proud of the collection I’ve accrued. 

I do feel awkward asking about them though, particularly if I am not an opponent and someone who has just noticed the custom stuff while walking around.

That being said...the way you phrased your view of the custom stuff is abhorrent. It’s okay to not like them and politely refuse. To belittle people who make that stuff on here. That is deplorable. You could have just asked “not a fan of custom stuff, what’s the best way to decline without being rude?”

See? No insults towards any particular fan made item or belittling of someone’s time on it.

Hey, you three, knock it off and stop replying, myself included? Yikes.

Edited by KCDodger

2 hours ago, KCDodger said:

Screw it.

I refrained from reminding for two posts, then there was yours. Of course I get called out on it, the fates are not friends of mine in the short term, it seems. So out of fairness.

With all respect...

This is a public forum and I wanted to weigh up on the topic at hand. I am under no obligation to obey someone’s request to leave the topic alone.

Edited by Ebak

Odd post..why would one NOT take swag..Its not like it takes up much space.. Give it or trade it to others..I mean its not like that giant 3 foot tall ceramic black and gold bull your X-wife just had to get at that latest yard sale... Also as for only liking "Official" swag.. well personally most of the official swag has been lame lately.. I mean I already have custom templates. target locks etc..  Now if FFG started having ALT-paint ships as prizes THEN I would be more hyped to win official FFG swag..As it is now its just meh...More bartering material...

1 hour ago, Wayne Argabright said:

...its not like that giant 3 foot tall ceramic black and gold...

And for some reason I've now got the idea to raid the blue box for some aluminum cans, glue an old ship to the top, spray paint the whole thing gold, and start handing these things out as swag... I really shouldn't have had that idea and now I hate myself. 

10 hours ago, KCDodger said:

I get your point, and I certainly did while taking a evening nap. I find this particularly amusing given what site we are talking about. Hahaha!

However, I do find this topic interesting as it really dials in on a piece of the human condition 'eh? And, it also has to do with our beautiful game. Now that the dust is settled, we can all move happily along, and I do have a bit of advice:

...grab yourself a fine example of your favorite beverage, relax and enjoy the day.