Sign in to follow this  
RedDogReb

Advice / Help Required please....

I play Imperials, my son Rebels.

We play at a local club and at some localish friendly tournaments.

My son has developed a real issue against Sloane. While he's beaten me and others while we've used many of the Imperial admirals, he has trouble against Sloane. 

Sloane specifically, but squadrons generally, are not things I've used much, if ever, so my advice is pretty much limited to go fast, by pass the squadrons if possible and kill Sloane quickly. Easier said than done though.

He has plenty of Rebels ships, and could borrow any he didn't have from fellow club members.

He's used heavy squadron presence, no squadrons and something in between, but just cant seem to get past her.

What would rebel players suggest as a way of beating Sloane?

Obviously it will depend on calibre of opposition player and the exact fleet he's facing, but all suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

I’m mainly an imperial played but starting to dabble into rebels. Now rebels have the best generic fighters in the game. Especially x-wings and a-wings. I would load up on both types along with a couple of hawks for Intel. Sloane can’t hurt generics. I would run these as a CAP (close air patrol), don’t be too aggressive. But use them as a counter and keep them close to the ships. 

For rebels I suggest a list that's survivable but also emphasizes early, decisive victories. This is my go to anti-two ship list:

Name: Untitled Fleet
Faction: Rebel
Commander: General Dodonna

Assault: Precision Strike
Defense: Hyperspace Assault
Navigation: Superior Positions

MC75 Ordnance Cruiser (100)
• General Dodonna (20)
• Intel Officer (7)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Electronic Countermeasures (7)
• Assault Proton Torpedoes (5)
• Aspiration (3)
= 146 Points

MC30c Torpedo Frigate (63)
• Lando Calrissian (4)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Admonition (8)
= 84 Points

MC30c Torpedo Frigate (63)
• Major Derlin (7)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Foresight (8)
= 87 Points

GR-75 Medium Transports (18)
• Comms Net (2)
= 20 Points

GR-75 Medium Transports (18)
• Repair Crews (4)
= 22 Points

Squadrons:
• Tycho Celchu (16)
• Shara Bey (17)
= 33 Points

Total Points: 392

Avoid playing the squadron game at all against Sloane unless you’re fully committed to triple tap Ten Numb, or 8 YT-2400s, or the like.

Otherwise, kill the carriers.  Slicer Tools flotillas are normally good distractions they need to commit fighters to killing.  CR90As can rip up a Quasar, MC30s are fast and durable enough to threaten ISDs too.  If you’re using large bases Walex gets that brace back on a key round, Agate will probably help too since she goes through Avenger.  Ackbar or Raddus both go the other direction and improve damage into the carriers.  Right now, I narrowly prefer Rieekan because he forces Sloane to trade blows, and she has a glass jaw in the ship department (fitting given she boxed in the lore.)

Edited by The Jabbawookie

Sloane's biggest weakness is the ships in the list. There are usually 2, an ISD and a Quasar. The best bet is to go hard and fast at the Quasar using a few of your squads to tie up theirs long enough for your ships to get the job done. I've seen variations with Gozantis and an ISD, in which case go hard on the ISD.

Trying to win a squadron battle vs Sloane is a lost cause.

I used an Ackbar list with some success against Sloane. I ran an AFMKII with Gallant Heaven (maybe with Draven as well), 2 MC30s with TRC and Cluster Bombs, a GR-75 with Toryn and a few A wings plus the Moldy Crow.  (plus other upgrades not related to AA). I played defensively utilizing counter with rerolls and a ton of dmg mitigating. Sure they focused Jan but they usually needed 4 attacks against her, because of the braces and Gallant Haven. They usually didnt touch the mc30s, cluster bombs on average one shot a 3 hull squadron, which seems scary. It is some kind of psychological warfare.

20 hours ago, Cap116 said:

Biggs, 3 additional X-wings and Jan Ors can do a good job at tarballing the Imperial squadrons 

I tried this in my last game but with 4 vanilla x-wings instead of 3.  My opponent killed one of them and by turn 6 the survivors all had 1HP left, and my opponent was gnashing his teeth in frustration.  It's a really annoying combo to be on the wrong end of.

@flatpackhamster @Cap116 those rebel squadrons are a real pain. One of the rebel players in our RiTR campaign has Biggs, Jan and two x wings (plus others now we are a few games in). I've got Ciena, Valen and two Decimators, but have done poorly against them. I know my son has used that combo before, but not necessarily against a Sloane build.

@The Jabbawookie personally, that's my solution. I think I've played against Sloane three times using my favourite Screed list. Only lost once, and that was a 6-5 in a FLGS competition against the chap who went on to win the London Prime.

@Englishpete defo. Re my comment above, the 6-5 loss was against a 3 ship Sloane. She was in a Raider lifeboat - I just couldn't kill it.

@Nomemories That list looks like a Rebel version of my favourite list (ISD Kuat, Demo, Insidious, 2 x Gozantis - No squadrons). I do like the look of it, but would hate to face it!

@sasska like the idea of psyching someone out when they are squadron heavy.

@Rimsen I'm guessing those other squadrons are quite nasty? Not being a rebel player, I have no idea.