Orkimedes

Las Vegas Open - Top 8

One thing that I find interesting is the activation count for each list. Specifically that the top four are all in the 9-10 range. I'm not saying that this shows having fewer activations is better. I'm not saying that at all. Just that it seems that you do not need to have 11+ activations to be competitive. I think that 8 activations would really be pushing it. But is seems you do not have to go 11+. Just something I found interesting.

I think these lists speak heavily to the quality of activations over quantity. Being able to delete a unit off the board cause you had 3 aims and got 8+ hits is a huge deal. The days of activation spam seem to be at a close, with 9-10 solid activations outperforming 11+ spam. The prime in NC this past weekend had a 9 activation list win as well. 

7 hours ago, syrath said:

Given how much there are calls for a Tauntauns nerf when the imps dominate the top 4 lists. I'd say shoretroopers are worse here. 

Based on simply the top 8, it's obvious that both Tauntauns and Shoretroopers are excessively strong. Every list in the top 8 was either Tauntans/Shores, and almost everyone one (all?) had some anti-tauntaun tech. Both units need a nerf and fast. On a purely competitive scene, there's no reason to take other units when Taun/Shores are simply superior choices, by a huge amount. The top-8 is evidence.

Also, if you watched all of the games, the matches between Shores and Tauntauns were very very close. Both are broken.

1 hour ago, PikminToo said:

I think these lists speak heavily to the quality of activations over quantity. Being able to delete a unit off the board cause you had 3 aims and got 8+ hits is a huge deal. The days of activation spam seem to be at a close, with 9-10 solid activations outperforming 11+ spam. The prime in NC this past weekend had a 9 activation list win as well. 

I just got into the game and decided to go Seps as my faction. It feels like that my game plan is throwing tons of dice and droids at the problem and hoping it goes away. Now for my local group it'll be fun, but it appears I should stay away from OP events until Seps get more units or the meta changes. Is this assumption correct? 

1 minute ago, Thraug said:

Based on simply the top 8, it's obvious that both Tauntauns and Shoretroopers are excessively strong. Every list in the top 8 was either Tauntans/Shores, and almost everyone one (all?) had some anti-tauntaun tech. Both units need a nerf and fast. On a purely competitive scene, there's no reason to take other units when Taun/Shores are simply superior choices, by a huge amount. The top-8 is evidence.

Also, if you watched all of the games, the matches between Shores and Tauntauns were very very close. Both are broken.

I'm actually not going to complain , but strangely without Tauntauns rebels are mismatched against imperial even without shores. Just because people are teching against TTs does not mean they are overpowered, new units have hit and soon after we get new mission cards , the latter will shake things up a lot more

1 minute ago, syrath said:

I'm actually not going to complain , but strangely without Tauntauns rebels are mismatched against imperial even without shores. Just because people are teching against TTs does not mean they are overpowered, new units have hit and soon after we get new mission cards , the latter will shake things up a lot more

Tauntauns will be even more powerful if their controller gets to play Bombing Run, since they can start with the claimed tokens, and drop them.

4 minutes ago, Bgartz29 said:

I just got into the game and decided to go Seps as my faction. It feels like that my game plan is throwing tons of dice and droids at the problem and hoping it goes away. Now for my local group it'll be fun, but it appears I should stay away from OP events until Seps get more units or the meta changes. Is this assumption correct? 

Clankers and Republic are a little behind the curve, simply because they don't have the variety of units available to them that the GCW factions have. They are both still good factions thus far, but I don't think you'll see them winning Prime Championship events any time soon.

Just now, manoftomorrow010 said:

Clankers and Republic are a little behind the curve, simply because they don't have the variety of units available to them that the GCW factions have. They are both still good factions thus far, but I don't think you'll see them winning Prime Championship events any time soon.

Makes sense. Right now my group is just getting into the game (refugees from Destiny) so we will be playing skirmish games until we get our armies built up. It appears thought that vehicles are not meta, which is expected but unfortunate. I'm still getting me an AAT though :)

1 minute ago, Bgartz29 said:

Makes sense. Right now my group is just getting into the game (refugees from Destiny) so we will be playing skirmish games until we get our armies built up. It appears thought that vehicles are not meta, which is expected but unfortunate. I'm still getting me an AAT though :)

There were a surprising number of vehicles in LVO lists this year. They were even less meta before lol But don't worry, they're releasing battle cards that favor vehicles (check out that thread), and the Clone Wars tanks look very good!

I play Republic now, and they are still fairly competitive, and one of our best players, who finished 5th on Friday's Heat, plays Separatists.

8 minutes ago, Bgartz29 said:

Heavy vehicles aren't terribly popular because previous ones haven't been able to do enough damage to justify their cost. The AAT doesn't have that issue. It's quite possibly the best Heavy in the game.

14 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

Heavy vehicles aren't terribly popular because previous ones haven't been able to do enough damage to justify their cost. The AAT doesn't have that issue. It's quite possibly the best Heavy in the game.

Barrage is going to be hot.

I'm really looking forward to that Beam Cannon on the Saber, though.

3 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

Barrage is going to be hot.

I'm really looking forward to that Beam Cannon on the Saber, though.

That beam cannon looks nasty. My only issue with the TX-130 is a minor one, but it's that it can't take advantage of arsenal without upgrades. Even before the tank stream the AAT was looking fantastic without upgrades.

12 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

That beam cannon looks nasty. My only issue with the TX-130 is a minor one, but it's that it can't take advantage of arsenal without upgrades. Even before the tank stream the AAT was looking fantastic without upgrades.

Yeah, the AAT's main gun having High Velocity really scares me haha at least, without upgrades, the only Arsenal attack the AAT can perform is at Range 2, so you've got some angle there to stay out of its range for that kind of firepower.

Edited by manoftomorrow010

What can you really do about Shoretroopers? You can't take away their surges because they have none, you can't take either keywords away because if you do then Veterans would require the same treatment, all your left with is points. And they are already 2 points more per model than Stormtroopers, maybe you can go to 3 points but at 4 the unit becomes unplayable imo.My gut says the T-21b will lose range 4

Edited by Darth evil

Well this is pretty expected and what the meta I usually face. Shoreline combined with the very powerful krennic or palp. Not suprised this is the way if you want to place high. 

Rebels response is Leia, sabine and tauntauns, just what I have been playing recently (only got 2 tauntaun units though). Stuff that can hit from affar or get in range on a single activation or back to back. Any white dice defence units with speed 2 is getting torn apart trying to get close.

Cool to see a heavy unit in top 8 though, not alot of vehicles though. This is the current state of the game and the end of the OT era. Will be interesting to see how the new factions (once they get more units) combined with new objectives will change the game. 

Vader and Luke operatives is gonna be fun as well, the new Luke is gonna be a beast.

7 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

What can you really do about Shoretroopers? You can't take away their surges because they have none, you can't take either keywords away because if you do then Veterans would require the same treatment, all your left with is points. And they are already 2 points more per model than Stormtroopers, maybe you can go to 3 points but at 4 the unit becomes unplayable imo.

??? Says who?

The main takeaway from this is apparently I need to buy lots of shores and tauntauns. I have neither.

But.... I’m also trying to stay away from the OP scene. I don’t have the kind of time to do it, so I’d rather play casual games.

13 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

What can you really do about Shoretroopers? You can't take away their surges because they have none, you can't take either keywords away because if you do then Veterans would require the same treatment, all your left with is points. And they are already 2 points more per model than Stormtroopers, maybe you can go to 3 points but at 4 the unit becomes unplayable imo.My gut says the T-21b will lose range 4

Uhh, Veterans are in no way as good as Shoretroopers lol

12 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

Points is one way yes. I think the thing you should attack is coms relay on the mortar and mk2. The coordinate + free give away order combined with triggers and aggressive tactics is a bit too powerful compared to other Corps units in the factions. As well as removing the point of order tokens and command cards since you get almost full control of all units.

Errata either the coms slot on those units or just require coms relay to be on a unit with 2 or more models. I think that will help drop the power of shoreline and the rebel (allbeit weaker) variant. Maybe give a point increase on the t21-b as well, since it's extremly more powerful than other imperial guns.

On your point on the keyword. Getting a free aim is way more powerful than a dodge these days, espechially combined with targeting scopes and aggressive tactics.