Sign in to follow this  
KCDodger

TIE/BADA**

3 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

...but what do you really think about it?

Well mostly that it's extremely fragile but its fragility is largely determined by how the user plays it. There's no real negative to taking strain if you're going to be out of arc, or deplete if you don't have a shot, so target locks to setup and barrel rolling to jigger out is honestly extremely safe. It's a very good mechanic that will be taken advantage of at higher level play to be certain.

11 minutes ago, KCDodger said:

Well mostly that it's extremely fragile but its fragility is largely determined by how the user plays it. There's no real negative to taking strain if you're going to be out of arc, or deplete if you don't have a shot, so target locks to setup and barrel rolling to jigger out is honestly extremely safe. It's a very good mechanic that will be taken advantage of at higher level play to be certain.

Interesting...

I was being tong-n-cheek. But your enthusiasm is well received as the game needs a constant supply.

Being a big 1.0 Interceptor fan, and a mostly 2.0 FO player, I do admit I'm quite interested.

..now where's my equally excited tea?

3 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

Interesting...

I was being tong-n-cheek. But your enthusiasm is well received as the game needs a constant supply.

Being a big 1.0 Interceptor fan, and a mostly 2.0 FO player, I do admit I'm quite interested.

..now where's my equally excited tea?

It's better than a TIE Interceptor, don't care what anyone else says- because the chassis gets to choose that deplete or strain to get the TL or Barrel Roll. Not Stress. You make a choice as to what to lose and you don't lose your action.

Love the enthusiasm. I don’t share your excitement though. 
I’ve found the management of the strain/deplete mechanic hugely difficult to get right. 
For context I’ve only played Holo but it feels like a ship you have to be really sure you know what you’re doing with 

Edited by Stagsquad13

3 hours ago, Stagsquad13 said:

Love the enthusiasm. I don’t share your excitement though. 
I’ve found the management of the strain/deplete mechanic hugely difficult to get right. 
For context I’ve only played Holo but it feels like a ship you have to be really sure you know what you’re doing with 

Start with Generics. Trust me on this one.

I'm with you, thing's a beast of design and is hopefully gonna set the standard for independent double mods going forward.

Pilots are fantastic too, Holo stands to seriously mess you up if you don't think ahead with 'em and is a great example of a pilot you gotta build around or make special considerations for.

Vonreg is exactly what every I6 pilot ability should strive to be: interesting and not extremely powerful or overly consistent.

The timing allows your opponent to nullify the effect of the ability with a blue move, but this makes them much more predictable and is wonderfully thematic to the ace pilot playing cat and mouse with their target.

3 hours ago, Prosk_019 said:

I'm with you, thing's a beast of design and is hopefully gonna set the standard for independent double mods going forward.

Pilots are fantastic too, Holo stands to seriously mess you up if you don't think ahead with 'em and is a great example of a pilot you gotta build around or make special considerations for.

Vonreg is exactly what every I6 pilot ability should strive to be: interesting and not extremely powerful or overly consistent.

The timing allows your opponent to nullify the effect of the ability with a blue move, but this makes them much more predictable and is wonderfully thematic to the ace pilot playing cat and mouse with their target.

IT'S SO GOOD.

4 hours ago, KCDodger said:

So, how would you kit out generics?  Ideally, four generics together.

Outmaneuver, Primed Thrusters, Hull Upgrade are all too expensive.  Ion Missiles aren't exciting, but Cluster and Homing aren't Hyperspace.

If there's a 4 generic list that kinda makes sense, seems almost like "why not go all-in and fly the sweet new generic and get four copies of Proud Tradition for use on TIE/fo."

I suppose three with Daredevil would fit nicely along side Fanatical Avenger...

10 hours ago, KCDodger said:

Holy S**T.

The TIE/ba is stupidly good. Regular double mods is nuts. I love this thing. I LOVE this thing.

I LOVE this thing!

What’s your favorite list so far??? Here’s mine: 😁😁

Third Order

(57) Major Vonreg [TIE/ba Interceptor]
(2) Daredevil

(39) Lieutenant LeHuse [TIE/sf Fighter]
(10) Special Forces Gunner

(33) "Scorch" [TIE/fo Fighter]

(27) Lieutenant Rivas [TIE/fo Fighter]

(25) Epsilon Squadron Cadet [TIE/fo Fighter]

Total points: 193

6 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

So, how would you kit out generics?  Ideally, four generics together.

Outmaneuver, Primed Thrusters, Hull Upgrade are all too expensive.  Ion Missiles aren't exciting, but Cluster and Homing aren't Hyperspace.

If there's a 4 generic list that kinda makes sense, seems almost like "why not go all-in and fly the sweet new generic and get four copies of Proud Tradition for use on TIE/fo."

I suppose three with Daredevil would fit nicely along side Fanatical Avenger...

I actually like keeping the pickings slim. You can fit four TIE/bas in one list. Outmaneuver is the best choice on Vonreg but not the only one. Missiles aren't necessary but the cool chassis ability will ensure constant Target Locks- so if you need a precise missile carrier... This is a good option. Primed Thrusters are cool in theory but because the dial is very good and very blue you basically don't need them. They're almost a trap card for this thing. I'm still experimenting with what this sucker needs.

9 hours ago, KCDodger said:

This is what I am wanting to try out  not sold on optics, but will play around with the build  

New Squadron

(45) First Order Provocateur [TIE/ba Interceptor]
(4) Advanced Optics

(4) Advanced Optics

(51) Sienar-Jaemus Engineer [TIE/vn Silencer]

Total points: 200

2 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

What’s your favorite list so far??? Here’s mine: 😁😁

I've been running this with some good success:

Vonreg with Daredevil

Kylo with optics and brilliant evasion

Lieutenant Rivas

And an episilon cadet.

It's a ton of fun! Rivas pull more weight than he's worth. And vonreg and kylo can pack a punch.

Just played holo with proud tradition and DPC. Holo is SOOO GOOD.

Here is some crazy stuff i did in a boba fenn match.

Had 2ps1 silencers and proud trad Muse.

Silencers flies over debris. Is stressed. Holo flies over debris and takes a focus with proud tradition. Silencer has a better shot so he passes the focus to silencer.

Silencer moves and locks. Holo moves and rolls and focuses and blocks fenn. Tosses the focus to the silencer for a full mod shot.

Holo has a lock on fenn later in game. Does a 5k and focuses with proud tradition. Tosses the stress away and kills fenn. Regens his loss shield next, then 2 sloops and focuses. Has a shot on boba so he tosses his weapons disabled to a silencer.

5ks and 2 sloops non stop all while focusing. Loving me some Holo.

Definately have to think about his ability though. It can screw you if all you have is a focus token and you are about to get shot. You must pass that token to a friendly in range. Yikes. Or you could end up double stressing one of your own ships.

Edited by wurms

2 hours ago, wurms said:

Definately have to think about his ability though. It can screw you if all you have is a focus token and you are about to get shot. You must pass that token to a friendly in range. Yikes. Or you could end up double stressing one of your own ships.

This. Used right, he's an I5 ace who can generate double-modded attacks or act as a no-actions-required-no-penalties-incurred squad leader on a par with Ahsoka Tano.

Used wrong, he's going to be like adding Jar-Jar Binks in a first edition 'stresshog' to your squad, dropping stress, strain and deplete tokens on the most expensive friendly unit at the worst possible moments.

The fact that he can't just move-and-focus means he will probably need the most thought of any pilot for the ship to use effectively.

10 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

This is what I am wanting to try out  not sold on optics, but will play around with the build  

New Squadron

(4) Advanced Optics

(4) Advanced Optics

Total points: 200

Aren't Optics better on the Silencers, here?  The BA can get double mods on their own, the Silencers can't.  

9 hours ago, Old Sarge said:

Has anyone tried vonreg with regen?

It is very good.  That being said vonreg is very susceptible to the bid.  Generally when I take the shields I am doing a vonreg plus mini swarm list.  If your trying a FO 3 aces it gets really tough to keep the regen (I am not sold on that particular archetype for FO, empire and republic have access to multiple force users we have one).

4 hours ago, wurms said:

Was there ever a consensus whether or not you could turn 1 all lock holo and pass off those lock tokens if you didnt want to pass off any of holos other tokens?

1 minute ago, pyoinator said:

Was there ever a consensus whether or not you could turn 1 all lock holo and pass off those lock tokens if you didnt want to pass off any of holos other tokens?

I think there might be some holdouts, but that's the most consistent reading of the rules.  Given Matchstick and Outrider and Electronic Baffle, I don't really see anything else making sense.

22 hours ago, KCDodger said:

There's no real negative to taking strain if you're going to be out of arc, or deplete if you don't have a shot

Except for the fact it forces you into blues if you want to clear the token next turn, as the token isn't cleared if you moved to be out of arc or not have something in your arc respectively. 

Which you need to do if you want to be able to FTC again next turn. 

And in that respect, it's no better or worse than the Interceptor. Different in the specific flavour of what happens if you don't remove the token, but essentially the same overall mechanic. 

22 hours ago, KCDodger said:

It's better than a TIE Interceptor, don't care what anyone else says- because the chassis gets to choose that deplete or strain to get the TL or Barrel Roll. Not Stress. You make a choice as to what to lose and you don't lose your action.

How is it functionally different, though? How is it better?

Yes you get to choose, but you're choosing between two negatives the Interceptor never gets anyway. And yes, you don't lose your action but you do lose your double action, which is kinda the point of choosing it over, say the /sf. 

The Interceptor's stress is consequence free on the turn it takes it. The /ba's can be consequence free on the turn you take it, but only if you pick right. What if you run into a situation where you get things slightly wrong and end up being shot at and having a shot? Less likely with perfect information on Vonreg, sure, but it's something Holo or the generics have to at least think about.

On the next turn, the Interceptor's stress means it has to either perform a blue or have no actions whatsoever. On the next turn, the /ba's strain or deplete means it has to either perform a blue maneuver or get only one action.

Granted, no actions at all is often a death sentence, but it's not like the /ba is gaining anything hugely beneficial over the course of the two turns. 

And, of course, this isn't even getting into the fact that the /ba can't barrel roll into boost. Easy access to double attacking mods is scary, sure. But the /ba isn't as capable an arc dodger as the Interceptor. 

Again, the blues on the dial are different. The /ba technically has two more, which I guess makes it better. But are 1 blue hards better than 2 blue hards? The only answer I think is: depends. 

The /ba is probably better than the Interceptor for not much gain in cost. The statline alone is better. But Vonreg's ability is worse than Soontir, if we're talking strictly dice odds. 

And granted, I've not actually played it yet. But nothing about it seems particularly game changing. 

I think the bigger change will come with the Xi shuttle. Between Kylo, Vonreg/Holo and a cheaper crew carrier, I imagine First Order's version of Palp Aces on speed and manic self damage buffs is going to be more like the thing that gets FO competitive. 

Edited by GuacCousteau