Sign in to follow this  
ffgfan

How do You think? What will be comming next?

So I'm looking at the upcomming section and I was wondering, what will be the next big expansion for WFRP?

After looking through my library of games, at the previous editions of Warhammer and the backgroung books from BL I must say that I'm still missing something. Yes, I feel a huge hunger for something big that was never earlier published or something that will give us more info about the Old World. So I'm hoping that FFG will satisfy my hunger.

But thats not the subject of this topic. After looking at what was published to this day I can only imagine that the plans for the WFRP will look like this after The Edge Of Night :

- a sourcebook  (maybe about the Empire or maybe about Skaven/ Chaos/ Greenskins)

- a adventure supplement

- an other sourcebook

- a next adventure supplement

The question only is will Jay give us a hint of what the future holds?

The obvious choice for next supplement would be one doing for priests what Winds of Magic will do for wizards. Beyond that, more advanced careers and more adversaries obviously. Whether or not they will continue to release an adventure every other supplement once we have the first two is also open for speculation. It appears that the intent was one release per quarter in 2010. If we are lucky, we may get The Edge of Night before Q4, but I'm not counting on it. I would speculate that additional material is already in the works, but they are staying closed mouthed about it because the intended release schedule will be informed by how well the 2010 supplements sell. If they do exceedingly well, we may get 1 release per quarter in 2011 as well. If they under perform, support could be cut back to something more infrequent while resources go to other things. Just the realities of business.

My feeling for 2011 is expect the unexpected.  I don't think that FFG will release any products that are generally like 2nd edition supplements.  That probably means no book-only products.  The booklet + cards + hand-outs + stand-ups format has been established as the standard for WFRP3.  This would make a beastiary an interesting product, but not real likely.  Of course, what do I know it could easily be the first 2011 announcement.  Similarly, a priest product will be important to get out, but is likely to be bundled with a daemon/chaos component to make it sell better. 

I really enjoyed looking at Gathering Storm as an example of what FFG thinks a WFRP3 adventure package should be.  I think they took a lot of care with it, and really tried to work out what the formula for components, layout, and organization should be. 

What I want:

Beastiary

Priest Book

Martial book (featuring a few more action cards and alot more combaty careers for rank 3 and beyond)

Books for Brettonia, Kislev, Estalia, Tilea and such.

More playable races and more options for currently existing races. (halflings and high elf magic and dwarf rune smithing)

reidchapman said:

What I want:

Beastiary

Priest Book

Martial book (featuring a few more action cards and alot more combaty careers for rank 3 and beyond)

Books for Brettonia, Kislev, Estalia, Tilea and such.

More playable races and more options for currently existing races. (halflings and high elf magic and dwarf rune smithing)

Completely agree.

Bestiary: We will get some nasties in the Winds of Magic, so I think future supplements will also hold some, but a real, compiled basic Bestiary with monster cards would be nice. I don't want to buy seperate books for Skaven, Greenskin, Undead, etc...

Priest Book: A must have. Maybe they should also include dwarven, elven deities, and one of the Chaos gods, like Tzeentch in the Winds of Magic (ie. Slaneesh would be nice).

Martial Book: We Need F*cking Knights! And mounted combat, mount cards, etc... Shall include another Chaos god - Khorne is a quite martial guy, he would fit like a glove.

Setting Books: Can wait... First we need enough material about the whole empire, including the other men, dwarfs of the Empire, Laurelorn and Sea elfs (to be honest, they would have been better in the core book, than Athel Loren and Ulthuan elves, especially if you're focusing on the Reikland), halflings and maybe ogres.

djpeterso23662 said:

My feeling for 2011 is expect the unexpected.  I don't think that FFG will release any products that are generally like 2nd edition supplements.  That probably means no book-only products.  The booklet + cards + hand-outs + stand-ups format has been established as the standard for WFRP3.  This would make a beastiary an interesting product, but not real likely.  Of course, what do I know it could easily be the first 2011 announcement.  Similarly, a priest product will be important to get out, but is likely to be bundled with a daemon/chaos component to make it sell better. 

I really enjoyed looking at Gathering Storm as an example of what FFG thinks a WFRP3 adventure package should be.  I think they took a lot of care with it, and really tried to work out what the formula for components, layout, and organization should be. 

Great point and kudos for innovation on FFG's part. The great irony is that most people still seem to want exactly what they are used to getting from other RPG's - Bestiary and class-specific supplements. 

My guess is that the 'priest box' will be packed with an adventure and with details for one of the other Chaos gods (mm.. Slaanesh next?) and will possibly be the next release after The Edge of Night (to keep parties balanced and players interested)

After that we'll probably see the 'rank 3+ box' with some careers, some beasties, some actions and talents and possibly a small adventure too ... I'm just wondering if it will be a small box like the Adventurer's Toolkit or a big one with a book. Maybe the later as they'll probably want to print some additional rules for the new stuff.... and add an adventure :)

Either way, I'm excited for whatever they put up next and I'll likely get it all on day 1.

The great book of gnomish erotica**babeo.giflengua.gif.

next? hmm  I am not sure what will come but I am sure this will come:

A skaven campaign, in late 2010 or by 2011.

**this book is found in TEW or was it EiF?

I for one am extremely pleased with today's announcement that there's going to be 10 new careers in the Winds of Magic, most of them not being spellcasters just careers that are likely to have other interactions with the colleges, like Scholar, Servant, GraveRobber and Apothecary. Very cool.

Hmm I feel liking righting up some unofficial magic item/potion rules, I'd only really do it if people were interested.

The idea: make a quick system to give armour/weapons magical bonuses and such, rules for more types of potions other then just healing salves.

What I want to avoid: The dungeond and dragons style "stock enchantments" i.e. "my sword inflicts +1d6 fire damage" "oh what a coincedence so does my mace" remember: not all enchantments are created equal.

Now I think that it's going to look like this. The Edge Of Night (that will future Skavens) will come in September 2010. So the next big supplement could be released in November/December 2010. It could be like this:

- a Priest book (the same think like The Winds Of Magic but for religions in the Old World)

- a new campain (maybe set in another region of the Empire - could be in the Mood and with halflings)

- a Knight & Noble book (this would have a lot of new carrers)

- a new campain (set in another part of the Empire)

- a Chaos & Mutation book (about all aspects of Chaos with it's warriors and demons and it could give the players a chance to play as evil characters)

About the Bestiary - I would not count on that. Becouse we are getting new monsters with every campain and big supplement so it would be pointless. I'm working now on a little monster index to so I can easy find that monster that I'm looking for.

But I like the ideas of race books like foe Elves and Dwarfs. Also it would be great to see some books with descriptions of the hole Empire, Bretonia, Kislev or even Chaos Wastes - this could be included in a Chaos expansion. :)

The addition of quite a few non-wizard careers in the Winds of Magic got me thinking about what they would do with an upcoming priest package. Since Jay explicitly says that they put no weapon or ballistic skill careers into Winds of Magic, I cannot think that they would keep up such a restriction for the priest package too. That would mean a total overload of non-combat careers. We will even have some careers that one could think of as close to priestly careers in the Wind of Magic, i.e. Grave Robber and Apothecary.

Accordingly, I think it is not unlikely that this set will focus on the conflict between the “good” forces of the regular gods and the empire against the evil forces of chaos. They will most certainly include templars – from templars to non-religious knights it is only a small step. From knights to different kinds of officers it is another small step. So my guess is that FFG could twist the priest package to a kind of war against chaos package. Priest careers, officers, and some more Chaos stuff - maybe even two chaos gods (the war and pestilence chaps?).

I think they need to do this to avoid frustrating combat oriented groups by issuing two “academic” packages in a row (ignoring campaigns) and I also think that they won’t publish some other pack before they offer more fluff for priests - the imbalance to wizards would probably become too strong…

What I would like to see:

- Priest and religion + one chaos god (Slaanesh or Nurgle) including an adventure and another 10 carreers (including a few martial ones)

- Social and martial characters (nobles and knights, military, etc.) + the remaining 2 chaos god (remember, they don't have to put spells in this one, so they'll get the place for a lot of social and melee/ballistic cards) including another adventure.

- Atlas and Bestiary : new races, monsters and maps.  Including some advanced carreers for dwarves, elves and halflings and expanding on shamanistic magic.  Including yet another adventure.

I would also like if the 3 adventures could include an option to be linked together if you want to, making a complete campaign.

I think they can cover that much in 3 releases, seeing what they are packing in Winds of Magic.

A bestiary would be amazing, including more stand ups and actual cards with the monster stats and possible action cards for the monster attacks. That would pretty much make one less book having to be on the table.

I Just Got Warhammer 3rd edition like yesterday, I love it. Now what I would like to see….

Career Card packs – Yup you heard me right, Packs of Careers, advanced and basic, and they could almost do it like 1st edition warhammer where you would have 4 piles of cards, Warrior pile, Ranger pile, Rogues pile and then Academic pile.

They could even do packs based on Race Specific careers. It just be nice to have more Careers, like as many as there used to be in 1st and 2nd edition. 

I would also like to see some classic adventures converted over to 3rd, should I dare say it The Enemy within campaign, and maybe take a leaf out of hogshead and re-write Empire in flames. Also some of the plunder vaults stories too would be cool.  (it would be nice to see how it could be converted.)

Also I would like to see the Hafling back in WFRPG and I thought they were going to include him with the adventure’s tool kit. Also a way of adding 2 more players, or more to the game, as my group is over 4 players, it around 5 or 6, and surly you cant buy 3 additional adventure’s tool kit or can you? 

• I am hoping for racebooks (Dwarfs, High Elves mainly), hopefully with spellcasterclasses for the elves and runesmiths for the dwarfs.
  • A priest-supplement would be really nice and needed.
  • Knights and stuff associated with them like Squires (could work like the Small but vicious dog), horses and mounted combat rules.

I would also love a card-set with additional basic actions, so more players can join in and new actions.

In order of what I think would be most needed:

* A scenario contest for 3e.

*  Races:  details and breakdowns on humans, dwarves, Azrai, Asuri, Sea-elves and now introducing halflings and those Zoat-like things.  No regional gazetteer with the player stuff as an afterthought.  Instead, it's the other way around.  This approach has always made more sense from a utility standpoint.    Each of the elf sub-race/regional presentations with a paragraph after that on each region and a comprehensive couple paragraphs and maps at the beginning.

*  The religions set..yawn..necessary..but not really anything new here.  If you want to turn this game into Dungeons & Dragons, be sure to introduce a boatload of new spells to the game...

*  The non-spellcaster set ~  This category makes up the largest portion of the careers and should have been put out first.  This set will include sea-faring stuff.

Then after all those are done:

*  Advanced career set for each of those.  These could be combined into one set since they'll be 1/5th the number of new careers total.

Not sure how they should do a chaos set.  If the thinking is that things generally should be player oriented..perhaps a product for chaos and undead hunters with the supplemental GM stuff in a second book?

jh

(missing WFRP3..just waiting for the Advanced careers and the non-spellcaster set to come out...)