Hey everyone, i have an extended tournament next weekend and wanted to take the Jendon + TIE Advanced/x1s archetype. The reason for that is because i played it this thursday and had a blast with it! I played against a list consisting of Dash, Dutch and Jake, and even though i played really poorly (ate a couple of debris before the first engagement) i still wound up winning 200-73.

This is the list that i played:

Colonel Jendon (48)    
    Passive Sensors (3)    
    Emperor Palpatine (11)    

Ship total: 62  Half Points: 31  Threshold: 5    

Maarek Stele (45)    
    Crack Shot (1)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    

Ship total: 48  Half Points: 24  Threshold: 3    

Ved Foslo (44)    
    Elusive (3)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    

Ship total: 49  Half Points: 25  Threshold: 3    

Tempest Squadron Pilot (36)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    

Ship total: 38  Half Points: 19  Threshold: 3    

Total: 197    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v8ZsZ200Z167X240WW29WWWY174X116W113WWY175X119W113WWY178X113WW&sn=Jendon's X1&obs=

Positives and Negatives:

+ Maarek's and Ved's abilities are really good. Ved's didn't come up much, but Maarek's just pushes so much extra damage by pulling fuel leaks and direct hits from your opponent's decks;

- Really wish Maarek wouldn't be the first shooting, because if he is, he is wasting crits onto shields, which is a shame;

+ Palpatine is a beast, he saved 1 damage everytime, super efficient and flexible, 10/10 taking him on Jendon everytime;

- Shuttle's dial is something i still have to get used to, and definitely something experienced players will try to attack;

Moving forward i want to have someone that can shoot before Maarek so he can make the most out of his ability. I also want to chop Elusive, because it's just too many points that i really need to move other pieces. Lastly, i'm debating between adding some anti-swarm tech or bumping up the initiative of the generic x1. Here are the 2 options that i've got so far:

Colonel Jendon (48)    
    Passive Sensors (3)    
    Emperor Palpatine (11)    

Maarek Stele (45)    
    Crack Shot (1)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    

Ved Foslo (44)    
    Crack Shot (1)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    

Ship total: 47  Half Points: 24  Threshold: 3    

Storm Squadron Ace (39)    
    Crack Shot (1)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    

Ship total: 42  Half Points: 21  Threshold: 3    

Total: 199    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v8ZsZ200Z167X240WW29WWWY174X116W113WWY175X116W113WWY177X116W113WW&sn=Jendon's X1&obs=

Colonel Jendon (48)    
    Passive Sensors (3)    
    Emperor Palpatine (11)    

Maarek Stele (45)    
    Crack Shot (1)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    

Ved Foslo (44)    
    Crack Shot (1)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    

Ship total: 47  Half Points: 24  Threshold: 3    

Tomax Bren (35)    
    Crack Shot (1)    
    Diamond-Boron Missiles (6)    

Ship total: 42  Half Points: 21  Threshold: 3    

Total: 199    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v8ZsZ200Z167X240WW29WWWY174X116W113WWY175X116W113WWY205X116WW238WWWWW&sn=Jendon's X1&obs=

The 1st list is the safe choice: keeps the small base symmetry that we have going which doesn't give an obvious 1st target to the opponent, and Jendon and the generic having the same initiative means that we have some flexibility with bumps and whatnot. The 2nd list is somewhat more risky and aggressive: having a ship that shoots before Maarek is good for the reasons already listed, and diamond-boron missiles are no joke, especially against swarms. The biggest issue i have with this list is how obvious Tomax is as a first target: no shields to protect from crits and only 2 agility. From my experience, Tomax really does burn down fast.

Which of these lists would you pick? What changes would you make? Personally, I'm more inclined to use the 2nd one, but i'm still going to test a bit before making that call.

If you really like the pilots from your first list, you could always trade elusive for swarm tactics on Ved. Just keep Stele at R1for the engagement phase and let him shoot after Ved.

Just throwing that idea out there for you 🍻

9 hours ago, DarthDarxide said:

If you really like the pilots from your first list, you could always trade elusive for swarm tactics on Ved. Just keep Stele at R1for the engagement phase and let him shoot after Ved.

Just throwing that idea out there for you 🍻

Ved is I4, Maarek is I5.  Putting swarm tactics on Ved wouldn’t change the fact that Maarek at I5 will shoot before Ved at I4.

9 hours ago, pakirby said:

Ved is I4, Maarek is I5.  Putting swarm tactics on Ved wouldn’t change the fact that Maarek at I5 will shoot before Ved at I4.

Swarm tactics on Ved allows you to make Maarek I4 for that engagement phase and then choose to shoot after Ved

3 minutes ago, Revanur said:

Swarm tactics on Ved allows you to make Maarek I4 for that engagement phase and then choose to shoot after Ved

That's quite interesting, but i don't think that that's where i wanna go. I really wanted to free up that talent slot so i could take crack shot and have a better bid.

Watching Las Vegas Grand Championship right now and it looks like i4 is an important breakpoint. Ved looks awesome in the face of Skull Squadron Pilots, all the Rebel brawlers (Braylen, Ten, Dutch, Garven, Jake...) and some more generics like the i4 silencer and the i4 interceptor if he can give them first player.

17 minutes ago, Greebwahn said:

I can't help but think that a naked Jendon and 4 Tempests with FCS is gonna pack more punch than 3 X1s and everyone more kitted out

More punch? Maybe, but with my current list we have 4 3 dice double-modded which, by rebel beef standards, is pretty good already, and there's a good advantage in being able to take pilots with good abilities and high initiative and being able to round up your list with a couple more pieces to give it more edge in specific situations.

Still, the Jendon + 4x Tempest is worth exploring