Tri3

Imperial Bunker - Let down

Just saw the unboxing of the Imperial Bunker and was really disappointed in how FF decided to package/design it with all those little bits.  You seriously don't need all that fine detail that honestly could have been there if it was designed differently.

IMO making over complicated builds is the wrong way to go.  The beauty of SW Legion when it was first release was the simplicity of the models.  While not exactly like SW X-Wing or Armada, it was still pretty easy to put things together and start playing.  The battle droids were a complete pain to put together compared to the other models thus far and is one of the reason I don't want to build out an army of those guys.  

I play with a few 3D-Printed pieces that are light, IMO just as nice and much less expensive.  For a center piece the bunker is pretty cool, but with all those small bits, it's a turn off.

I think it was a bit over built in places. For example the bottom of the roof. The way every wall is a super thick plastic box.

Most plastic terrain kits have thin single part Wall assemblies. 

The detail parts I have no problem with. This is an officially licensed, top quality model kit. the market is already flooded with cheaper simple unlicensed kits of the same subject matter, so this one stands out in that market. 

im fine with the official terrain being fancy high end kits like the crashed AT-ST and the escape pod.  However I do think they need more stuff like the barricades and cheaper simpler stuff. 

Actually my complaint is that there are way too many small pieces that really don't add detail, but do add to the build time of the model, which is a turn off.  You could easily design computer terminals that don't require you to glue keyboards and screens that are just as detailed IMO.

It’s just a bit too much for me to justify.

I am probably going to pick up the downed ATST at some point (only reason I haven’t is one of the guys in my friendly play group has it so it’s not essential just yet to have two in the group). 

The escape pod also looks like a purchase coming my way - perhaps a bit sooner as no one in my group has it, and it gives me some more tactical flexibility with the operative. I am wanting to play the scenario in either case.

Assuming I bought both, that’s two different narrative campaigns I can play plus two terrain pieces for what amounts to the same cost as the bunker, which gives me one scenario.

In a world of finite resources (I have to be selective about units for my forces, rather than “one of all”), I can not justify this expense to myself.

I am glad to see this expansion is a kit with differents parts including some indoor details you can use other ways. It seems ffg manages it to be combined with an other bunker.

Finally i will probably get one myself.

Ffg do knows there is a lot of 3d printed bunker available on internet (very cheap but with low details level) and i think they estimated it is better to release something "premium" with détails and with enough parts to appeal the hobbyists

35 minutes ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

I enjoy the building process for models, its a fun meditative activity.

Admittedly the B1's were a pain in the *** but that was only becuase I bought in with 6 full units and did them all back to back.

Putting the arms on ball joints and having to glue the right hand into the gun (three glue connections) simultaneously was, without a doubt, the most obnoxious part of those minis.

it’s a pity they were probably too thin to make a static connection, because that would have dramatically lowered the aggravation of assembling them. 

31 minutes ago, Derrault said:

Putting the arms on ball joints and having to glue the right hand into the gun (three glue connections) simultaneously was, without a doubt, the most obnoxious part of those minis.

it’s a pity they were probably too thin to make a static connection, because that would have dramatically lowered the aggravation of assembling them. 

My only gripe was having the heads in 2 pieces. Seemed like it was unneccesary and added an extra glue curing step to every model

2 minutes ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

My only gripe was having the heads in 2 pieces. Seemed like it was unneccesary and added an extra glue curing step to every model

I can at least understand why they did that, given how the heads are shaped for molding purposes. The ball joints are a mild sop to pose-ability, except you don’t really have that much latitude, so it just means you have to hold them still and prevent wiggling. 

1 hour ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

I enjoy the building process for models, its a fun meditative activity.

Admittedly the B1's were a pain in the *** but that was only becuase I bought in with 6 full units and did them all back to back.

Having heard the pains of the B1s from my coworker who bought the droid half of our double core set order, I think I picked the correct faction if only for assembly frustration.

That said, I’m terrified of our first match up. The forums have me convinced clones apparently do not fare well in Legion and I am used to playing as empire so sorta kinda easy mode.

16 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

That said, I’m terrified of our first match up. The forums have me convinced clones apparently do not fare well in Legion and I am used to playing as empire so sorta kinda easy mode.

So long as you aren't going up against GCW factions, the clones do a lot better. And as far as clones vs droids goes, the droids have a steeper learning curve so as long as any CIS opponents don't much experience using their new toys you'll be fine. Just be wary of any commander they bring to the table, Grievous and Christopher Lee are extremely solid.

47 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Having heard the pains of the B1s from my coworker who bought the droid half of our double core set order, I think I picked the correct faction if only for assembly frustration.

Clones do pretty well, they at least have a good cheap commander option

35 minutes ago, Nurgle23 said:

I like the quality of the bunker. It is a premium terrain piece and that is not for everyone. And that is ok. There is something for almost everyone on the market. 

Agreed: while I won’t be investing for the reasons I specified, I’m not upset that ffg isn’t catering to my specific needs alone.

22 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

Diminishing returns re: model details and dynamic posing has pretty much ruined all the current GW offerings. 

Dynamic poses are bad? Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

25 minutes ago, Mokoshkana said:

Dynamic poses are bad? Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

It can get there...

9 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

When they make the models too top-heavy, and too fragile, to play games with, then yes.

I'm thinking about a lot of older Guild Ball models.  Really dynamic, but I kind of like the still-nice newer plastic versions more.

Old Velocity tips over like mad, breaks really easily, and is hard to transport to and from the FLGS.  A sad fate for machina Megan Rapinoe.

velocity.jpg

The new Plastic one (far left) still is is quite dynamic, but stays over the base, and just looks good.

9Ji3eauJSDkrH16FfoLQ_SFGBENG-002-Enginee

54 minutes ago, Mokoshkana said:

GW went overboard with having very tall, elaborate models hanging onto the base by a thin strip of plastic. Some of them look way too fragile to transport or use on the board.

1 hour ago, TauntaunScout said:

When they make the models too top-heavy, and too fragile, to play games with, then yes.

Ugh, yeah hard pass on those. 
Edit: Funnily enough, this thread inspired me to order a bunker. 

Edited by Derrault