Sign in to follow this  
Alderaan Crumbs

Mass Combat?

I've adapted and simplified the Mass Combat rules from Star Wars for Genesys. They're featured in the Mass Effect setting:

(apologies for the shameless self-promotion, but the AoR mass combat is a bit clunky, and Genesys has done a lot to streamline things from SWRPG, so I followed that trend)

Several Books have the mass combat rules:

AoR:

Lead by Example (source book for the commander specialization; also have rules for battlefield fortifications this was in forged in battle, my bad)

Onslaught at Arda 1 (adventure book)

Friends Like These (adventure book)

Prequel Books:

Rise of the Separatists

Collapse of the Republic

Edited by HelloRPG

34 minutes ago, Alderaan Crumbs said:

If you had to choose one, which has the best?

If you want general rules to use in most settings I would pick the Lead by Example (also my bad, fortifications rules were in Forged in Battle). This is just because it has more things to learn from, but I wouldn't get this just for the mass combat rules or other extended rules in SW for your Genesys games. You need a lot of translating to make it usable in other settings.

Also something in my bones tell me Mass Combat will be included in Keyforge, just because the setting has huge armies fighting.

Edited by HelloRPG

I've been toying with converting the system from ASOIAF RPG green ronin put out years ago. It's fantasy-medieval based, but it accounts for leadership, formation, tactics and unit veterancy quite nicely.  I imagine it could also be adapted to fit modern & sci-fi combat as well.  As I recall, it also had a decent mechanism for zooming in on the battle to focus on a specific PC's actions/heroics/leadership and then zoom out to the unit level. 

On 2/10/2020 at 1:02 PM, HedgeWizard said:

I've been toying with converting the system from ASOIAF RPG green ronin put out years ago.

Seriously, that game was so-so, but it had some really good ideas.  I loved the House Creation aspect, and promptly pilfered it for my Savage Worlds L5R conversion.

Yeah, I never got around to actually running anything with it. I also really dug the House Creation stuff. 

I also appreciated that you could start with various level of experience through tradeoffs, so you could have a very learned maester or skilled swordsman at the outset, but their fate was less... flexible.  

That, and I liked the outline of their mass combat system; the leadership actions and the veterancy model.