Sign in to follow this  
Tharcas

Fireball – Explosion With Wings + Coaxium Hyperfuel

How does the Explosion With Wings abilty play with Coaxium Hyperfuel?

Specifically Explosion With Wings says:

“After you perform a SLAM action, you may expose 1 damage card to remove 1 disarm token.”

Coaxium Hyperfuel’s first effect says:

“You can perform the SLAM action even while stressed. If you do, you suffer 1 crit damage unless you expose 1 of your damage cards.”

The “if you do” phase on Coaxium tells me that you perform the SLAM action while stressed THEN expose the damage card or suffer a crit damage.  The Explosion With Wings tell me to expose the damage card after I do the SLAM action.  It sounds to me like if I am stressed for a cost of exposing 1 damage card I can BOTH choose to SLAM and discard a disarm token.

7 minutes ago, Tharcas said:

How does the Explosion With Wings abilty play with Coaxium Hyperfuel?

Specifically Explosion With Wings says:

“After you perform a SLAM action, you may expose 1 damage card to remove 1 disarm token.”

Coaxium Hyperfuel’s first effect says:

“You can perform the SLAM action even while stressed. If you do, you suffer 1 crit damage unless you expose 1 of your damage cards.”

The “if you do” phase on Coaxium tells me that you perform the SLAM action while stressed THEN expose the damage card or suffer a crit damage.  The Explosion With Wings tell me to expose the damage card after I do the SLAM action.  It sounds to me like if I am stressed for a cost of exposing 1 damage card I can BOTH choose to SLAM and discard a disarm token.

Not quite.  Each cost has to be paid separately.  If you're stressed and want to SLAM and remove the Disarm token, you'll need to expose two cards, suffer two crits, or one of both.

20 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Not quite.  Each cost has to be paid separately.  If you're stressed and want to SLAM and remove the Disarm token, you'll need to expose two cards, suffer two crits, or one of both.

Almost.  Explosion With Wings explicitly requires that you expose a facedown damage card, so you can't suffer a brand new crit to fulfill its costs.  The choices are therefore:

• Don't SLAM (nothing special happens)
  • SLAM by exposing a facedown damage card (suffering its effects), and end the activation disarmed
  • SLAM by suffering 1 critical damage (suffering its effects), and end the activation disarmed
  • SLAM by exposing a facedown damage card (suffering its effects), then expose a facedown damage card (suffering its effects) to remove a disarm.
  • SLAM by suffering 1 critical damage (suffering its effects), then expose a facedown damage card (suffering its effects) to remove a disarm.

latest?cb=20200115194626latest?cb=20190801223530

Edited by emeraldbeacon

39 minutes ago, emeraldbeacon said:

Aside from that being a terrible, TERRIBLE idea, here's reference. ;)

Not necessarily that terrible... with R1-J5, you can also spend a charge to remove the direct hit after you’ve exposed and resolved it. Getting one out of the deck early on can be handy.

I’ve played it on Jarek Yeager and it’s a solid tactic for making sure you have a face-down damage card available for your next use of the ability when you’re not taking any shots.